If the U.S. political system and the courts are not perfect even with the checks and balances, how would you know if it was corrupted or not?

If the U.S. political system and the courts are not perfect even with the checks and balances, how would you know if it was corrupted or not?

vibise

There are laws that should be followed, as well as historical norms and duties outlined in the Constitution.
When some or all of these are ignored, corruption is an obvious explanation.

There are laws that should be followed, as well as historical norms and duties outlined in the Constitution.
When some or all of these are ignored, corruption is an obvious explanation.
What if the laws and norms seem to be followed but they are really not? What if where they are not followed, some don't think it makes a difference?

Whateverman

What if the laws and norms seem to be followed but they are really not?
We would immediately know if norms were being followed.

If people are "secretly" violating norms, well, that has nothing to do with the US political system / courts / checks & balances; that has to do with people being deceptive. Eventually, we'd find that out, too, because the larger the number of people trying to hide a thing, the more likely one of them will screw up.

What if where they are not followed, some don't think it makes a difference?
I don't understand what this means. With respect to your question in the OP, I think it's silly; just because our systems (governance, legislation, judiciary, etc) are imperfect doesn't mean we can't spot corruption. Speed limits aren't perfect, but it's easy to see when someone's violating them. Similarly, we don't need a government in perfect working order to know that parts of it aren't working perfectly.

Does your car have to work perfectly before you can spot the engine running roughly, or a tire going flat? Of course not - so why should a government be any different?

We would immediately know if norms were being followed.

If people are "secretly" violating norms, well, that has nothing to do with the US political system / courts / checks & balances; that has to do with people being deceptive. Eventually, we'd find that out, too, because the larger the number of people trying to hide a thing, the more likely one of them will screw up.

I don't understand what this means. With respect to your question in the OP, I think it's silly; just because our systems (governance, legislation, judiciary, etc) are imperfect doesn't mean we can't spot corruption. Speed limits aren't perfect, but it's easy to see when someone's violating them. Similarly, we don't need a government in perfect working order to know that parts of it aren't working perfectly.

Does your car have to work perfectly before you can spot the engine running roughly, or a tire going flat? Of course not - so why should a government be any different?
What if they see where it is an issue but since it doesn’t change anything, they don't addressed it?

Whateverman

What if they see where it is an issue but since it doesn’t change anything, they don't addressed it?
The kind of systems you're referring to are large and complex. Someone somewhere is going to care when their government isn't working.

I assume you'd care if you discovered that judges were letting guilty people go free. I'd care if I discovered politicians were passing bills that did nothing but make politicians more rich. Many people would care if they found out that all of the nonsense that's been going on in congress the last 4 years was nothing but a show.

People care about things like governments, or judicial systems. Everyone knows those systems are flawed, and while some people are passive about it, others get pretty angry when they see the kinds of failures you're talking about.

More people want less corruption in their government, than there are people who want to keep the corruption hidden.

vibise

What if the laws and norms seem to be followed but they are really not? What if where they are not followed, some don't think it makes a difference?
If laws and norms are not followed, that is a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

OTOH, if people have unfounded suspicions of wrongdoing they cannot support, then they should be ignored.