"If there is no God", then there is no correct answer to any question...

One atheist said...
There is no "correct answer" to any question to an atheist except "Do you believe in the existence of gods" (to which the answer, by definition (of 'atheist') must be 'no').

But another atheist said...
Is is okay to own another person as your chattel slave in any circumstances?

The correct answer is No,

So this statement is FALSE (since in some cases "an atheist" DOES claim there is a "correct answer")...
There is no "correct answer" to any question to an atheist except "Do you believe in the existence of gods".

Whereas this statement is TRUE...
If there is no God, then there is no correct answer to any question other than "Is there a God?"

Do you agree?

So for example...

If there IS a God, then there IS a correct answer to the question "Is it okay to commit adultery?"

Whereas if there is NO God, then there is NO correct answer to the question "Is it okay to commit adultery?"

I am trying to determine the clearest statement on that idea to use in our discussions.

Or perhaps you could suggest an even clearer statement.

Mr Laurier

If there is no God, then there is no correct answer to any question other than "Is there a God?"

Do you agree?
Nobody agrees with this idiotic nonsense that you spin from a deliberates twisting of someones words.

Temujin

One atheist said...

So this statement is FALSE (since in some cases "an atheist" DOES claim there is a "correct answer")...
There is no "correct answer" to any question to an atheist except "Do you believe in the existence of gods".

Do you agree?

So for example...

If there IS a God, then there IS a correct answer to the question "Is it okay to commit adultery?"

Whereas if there is NO God, then there is NO correct answer to the question "Is it okay to commit adultery?"

I am trying to determine the clearest statement on that idea to use in our discussions.

There is no "correct" answer to any moral question. One person may agree, while another may disagree. Even if every person in the world agrees, to be "correct" the answer must be compared with some objective external answer sheet. Do you have such a thing?

Nobody agrees with this idiotic nonsense that you spin from a deliberates twisting of someones words.

How about if I clarify the statement for you.

Is this statement true...

Concerning morality issues,
if there is no God then there is no correct answer to any question.

So for example...

Last edited:
There is no "correct" answer to any moral question. One person may agree, while another may disagree. Even if every person in the world agrees, to be "correct" the answer must be compared with some objective external answer sheet. Do you have such a thing?

I guess you are all overlooking the question in the OP. :)

I think you are saying it is true, but could you just say True or False to clarify.

Temujin

I guess you are all overlooking the question in the OP. :)

I think you are saying it is true, but could you just say True or False to clarify.
False. Obviously. Another question with a correct answer would be "Who is the President of the US?" or "How tall am I?" or if you want to limit it to binary questions, "Is water liquid at room temperature?"

False. Obviously. Another question with a correct answer would be "Who is the President of the US?" or "How tall am I?" or if you want to limit it to binary questions, "Is water liquid at room temperature?"

You seem to have said it is true, but could you just confirm that.

So for example...

Mr Laurier

So for example...

There is still a correct answer.
There does not need to be a God, or an Elf, or a Unicorn, for there to be a correct answer.

bigthinker

One atheist said...

Do you agree?

So for example...

We doubt that is what Electric Skeptic said -or if he did, it was likely taken out of context.
So we'll have to see how Electric Skeptic replies.

We doubt that is what Electric Skeptic said -or if he did, it was likely taken out of context.
So we'll have to see how Electric Skeptic replies.

You didn't answer the question.

Yakuda

So it would be morally ok for me to own another person. You have no intellectually consistent way to object to it.

Last edited:

5wize

One atheist said...

Do you agree?

So for example...

Clearer statement:

Does the existence of God clarify any issues of right or wrong.

Answer: No. God confuses the issues of right or wrong by being able to, by right of being a creator, violate what would be wrong for us to do giving us no yardstick for proper activity in the world. The Christian concept of God is a "do as I say and not as I do" entity.

Yakuda

Clearer statement:

Does the existence of God clarify any issues of right or wrong.

Answer: No. God confuses the issues of right or wrong by being able to, by right of being a creator, violate what would be wrong for us to do giving us no yardstick for proper activity in the world. The Christian concept of God is a "do as I say and not as I do" entity.
But you don't mean to suggest that mankind make right or wrong clear do you?

The Pixie

One atheist said...

Do you agree?

So for example...

Newsflash: Atheists do not agree on everything.

5wize

But you don't mean to suggest that mankind make right or wrong clear do you?
Secular humanism has a stronger anchor to moral action rooted in human nature than transcendent sources that can justify actions by holy fiat and that can not be traced back to empirical sources other than the opinions of ancient cultures that were less than capable of assessing the world they experienced without heavy supernatural assertions and superstitions. .

Yakuda

Secular humanism has a stronger anchor to moral action rooted in human nature than transcendent sources that can justify actions by holy fiat and that can not be traced back to empirical sources other than the opinions of ancient cultures that were less than capable of assessing the world they experienced without heavy supernatural assertions and superstitions. .
That wasnt my question. Care to try again? Just ranting your displeasure with religion isnt an argument.

5wize

That wasnt my question. Care to try again? Just ranting your displeasure with religion isnt an argument.
The answer is yes. I gave you the argument as to why and hoped you would assume the yes within it. I'll elaborate further:

You cannot read the books of Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy and think that a backwards Hebrew tribe is dictating right from wrong for all of God's creation. You cannot review the history of the Inquisition, the imprisonment of Galileo, and the deaths of 25 during the Salem witch trials and not think these were the attempts of men using the same backwards supernatural means to execute some form of God's right from wrong in the world. God in all His omnipotence could not inject right from wrong in the world over all of this wrong headed religious fervor.

Then the enlightenment unfolds and a new anchor for right and wrong is presented that seems to be working better, when applied, going forward.

Last edited:

Whateverman

Yakuda

The answer is yes. I gave you the argument as to why and hoped you would assume the yes within it. I'll elaborate further:

You cannot read the books of Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy and think that a backwards Hebrew tribe is dictating right from wrong for all of God's creation. You cannot review the history of the Inquisition, the imprisonment of Galileo, and the deaths of 25 during the Salem witch trials and not think these were the attempts of men using supernatural means to execute some form of God's right from wrong in the world. God in all His omnipotence could not inject right from wrong in the world.

Then the enlightenment unfolds and a new anchor for right and wrong is presented that seems to be working better, when applied, as we test it going forward.
Yet people like stalin, mao and pol pot are role models of moral behavior? Thats the result of letting people decide morality. I'll stick with the transendent if you dont mind. Even if you do. The last thing I want is you deciding what's moral.