If you are able to post an overview of what you believe along with an analogy of what you believe...

NOTE: The purpose of this thread is NOT to critique each other's view. It is to help each other come up with a decent analogy (there is no perfect analogy) for what WE believe.

So if you are able to post an overview of what YOU believe along with an analogy of what YOU believe, the rest of us can offer feedback to help make YOUR analogy better suite YOUR view.

I will start.

Here is an overview of what I believe...

(Note: I agree with the view of Bishop Melito of Sardis in the second century. The following is how I word it.)
For this creation, YHWH God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans (living souls) for his glory where he would reign as a living soul himself. The Scriptures describe how God would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent God (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as a spirit (called the Spirit of God) and in the form of a living soul (called the Word of God) with a glorious body. God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Word of God. But whereas God created a human spirit and soul for each of us, God himself as the Word became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.

Here is my analogy so far...

At a Bible study, the teacher says...
"I would like to give an analogy of how the second century Christians understood the distinctions of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit."
The teacher turns off the lights.
"The Bible says Yahweh God is spirit, so imagine that all the air in the world represents Yahweh."
"There is only one Yahweh and he is everywhere, he is omnipresent."
"And imagine there is nothing but air, nothing but Yahweh."
"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."
The teacher holds an air balloon in front of them and turns on the lights.
"Instantly we have this room (which represents the universe) and we have an air balloon (which represents the Son) in addition to the air outside (which represents the Father)."
"There is only one air (one Yahweh), and that air is omnipresent."
"But for clarity, we can distinguish between the air outside the room, the air inside the room, and the air inside the balloon."
"The air outside the room (outside the universe) would represent the Father, the air inside the room (inside the universe) would represent the Spirit, and the air inside the balloon (incarnate in the universe) would represent the Son."
"It is all the same air, so there is no difference in the air other than location and form."
"So when someone asks, are you saying the Son is the Father? In other words, is the air in the balloon the air outside? My answer would be, in the sense that the air in the balloon is the air outside, Yes. The Son is the Father."
"But it would be more proper to say, air is the air outside and the air in the balloon along with the air in the room. Yahweh is the Father and the Son along with the Spirit."
"So now we have the Father (the air outside), the Spirit (the air inside), and the Son (the air in the balloon)."
"In our analogy, a balloon represents human nature. So the Son is human nature fully indwelt by air (Yahweh)."
"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness."
The teacher brings out a basket of water balloons.
"Now these water balloons represent each of us. We are human nature (the balloon) indwelt by our spirit (the water)."
"So the Son has human nature just like we do (represented by the balloons), but the difference being..."
"Whereas God CREATED a human spirit and soul (represented by the water) for each of us, God himself (represented by the air) BECAME the human spirit and soul of Jesus."
"Hope that helps, and look forward to seeing you all again next week." :)

Last edited:
(Note: I agree with the view of Bishop Melito of Sardis in the second century. The following is how I word it.)
For this creation, YHWH God (the only one who transcends all creations) determined to create a universe with a kingdom of redeemed humans (living souls) for his glory where he would reign as a living soul himself. The Scriptures describe how God would accomplish his plan. In an instant, transcendent God (called God the Father) created the supernatural and space-time of this universe and also became immanent as a spirit (called the Spirit of God) and in the form of a living soul (called the Word of God) with a glorious body. God the Father then created all things within the universe by the power of the Spirit of God commanded by the Word of God. But whereas God created a human spirit and soul for each of us, God himself as the Word became the human spirit and soul of Jesus. At his conception, Jesus' glorious body was changed to a mortal body to be made like us so he could make reconciliation for our sins. At his resurrection, Jesus' mortal body was changed back to a glorious body and he will also give each of his elect a glorious body when he returns to reign in his kingdom forever.

That is the overview I use in discussions since it contains my answers to most questions I am asked. But here is a simpler statement of my view...

The spirit Yahweh is the only one who is eternal. Yahweh is also in the universe as spirit and as a human. Yahweh in the universe as spirit is called the Spirit of God, Yahweh in the universe as a human is called the Son of God, and eternal Yahweh is called God the Father.

Here is my analogy so far...

At a Bible study, the teacher says...
"I would like to give an analogy of how the second century Christians understood the distinctions of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit."
The teacher turns off the lights.
"The Bible says Yahweh God is spirit, so imagine that all the air in the world represents Yahweh."
"There is only one Yahweh and he is everywhere, he is omnipresent."
"And imagine there is nothing but air, nothing but Yahweh."
"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."
The teacher holds an air balloon in front of them and turns on the lights.
"Instantly we have this room (which represents the universe) and we have an air balloon (which represents the Son) in addition to the air outside (which represents the Father)."
"There is only one air (one Yahweh), and that air is omnipresent."
"But for clarity, we can distinguish between the air outside the room, the air inside the room, and the air inside the balloon."
"The air outside the room (outside the universe) would represent the Father, the air inside the room (inside the universe) would represent the Spirit, and the air inside the balloon (incarnate in the universe) would represent the Son."
"It is all the same air, so there is no difference in the air other than location and form."
"So when someone asks, are you saying the Son is the Father? In other words, is the air in the balloon the air outside? My answer would be, in the sense that the air in the balloon is the air outside, Yes. The Son is the Father."
"But it would be more proper to say, air is the air outside and the air in the balloon along with the air in the room. Yahweh is the Father and the Son along with the Spirit."
"So now we have the Father (the air outside), the Spirit (the air inside), and the Son (the air in the balloon)."
"In our analogy, a balloon represents human nature. So the Son is human nature fully indwelt by air (Yahweh)."
"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness."
The teacher brings out a basket of water balloons.
"Now these water balloons represent each of us. We are human nature (the balloon) indwelt by our spirit (the water)."
"So the Son has human nature just like we do (represented by the balloons), but the difference being..."
"Whereas God CREATED a human spirit and soul (represented by the water) for each of us, God himself (represented by the air) BECAME the human spirit and soul of Jesus."

Anyone else able and willing to share an overview of what you believe along with an analogy?

Anyone else able and willing to share an overview of what you believe along with an analogy?

CARM's overview of what Trinitarians believe is...
"The Trinity is one God who exists simultaneously in three persons. Each is coequal, copowerful, and coeternal with the other. Each person--Father, Son and Holy Spirit--is not the other. Without either there is no God; all comprise the one God."

CARM's analogy of what Trinitarians believe is...
"With time, for example, the past is distinct from the present, which is distinct from the future. Each is simultaneous. Yet, they are not three 'times' but one. That is, they all share the same nature: time"

But based on CARM's description of Modalism...
"God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three modes or forms. Thus, God is a single person who first manifested himself in the mode of the Father in Old Testament times. At the incarnation, the mode was the Son; and after Jesus' ascension, the mode is the Holy Spirit. These modes are consecutive and never simultaneous."

Since time IS IN FACT consecutive, it would seem the Trinity analogy would better fit Modalism in AD 20 rather than Trinitarianism.

In other words, according to CARM's definition of Modalism, "the past" would represent the Father, "the present" would represent the Son, and "the future" would represent the Holy Spirit.

I am neither a Trinitarian or a Modalist. I believe...

The spirit Yahweh is the only one who is eternal. Yahweh is also in the universe as spirit and as a human. Yahweh in the universe as spirit is called the Spirit of God, Yahweh in the universe as a human is called the Son of God, and eternal Yahweh is called God the Father.