"If you love me, keep my commandments"

so it is necessary to keep them BUT you actually do not do the choosing?
This isn't about you or me. The elect of God do not choose to keep the law. They are created to keep the law. This is the explicit purpose of the New Testament. I supplied you with the relevant verses to document this for your edification.
You do not make the effort? you have no free will in the decision?
Correct. This is true regardless of whether one is saved or not. The damned may make plenty of effort to sin or be saved, but it isn't their decision if they can't hear the gospel message to begin with. One cannot choose what isn't an option.

This isn't about you or me. The elect of God do not choose to keep the law. They are created to keep the law. This is the explicit purpose of the New Testament. I supplied you with the relevant verses to document this for your edification.

Correct. This is true regardless of whether one is saved or not. The damned may make plenty of effort to sin or be saved, but it isn't their decision if they can't hear the gospel message to begin with. One cannot choose what isn't an option.
Where in the bible does it say you are created to keep the law? Explicitly. And if you are created to keep it, then you do keep it fully? And if you still sin how does that not contradict that the elect are created to keep the law?

One is not saved by impulse, let alone the commandments; do you know the purpose of the law?

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Do you keep the commandments?
No, I live by faith; neither do I live by impulse as @Stella1000 stated:
When a Catholic reads these words from John 14:15, it stirs up the impulse to try harder, to examine our conscience for failures in keeping His commandments and a prayer for His help in doing better in future.

Do nonCC's take issue with this impulse?

One is not saved by impulse, let alone the commandments; do you know the purpose of the law?

Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Gal 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

The question was, is it necessary to keep the commandments. The answer given was yes, and the elect were created to keep them. Do you agree with this?

No, you do not have to keep the commandants? That is different than what other NCs say, although I think all NCs come to the same conclusion, that you really do not have to do anything because you consider yourselves the elect, which you state the bible says you WILL keep the commandments. That you were created to keep them.

So my question then is what happens when you don't? I assume the NC answer will be, it doesn't matter if you sin, if you do not try to keep the commandments. You are saved period. Try, don't try, it doesn't matter. correct?

Where in the bible does it say you are created to keep the law?
Jeremiah 31:31-34;Ezekiel 11:19;36:25-27;Hebrews 8:9,10

The new creation keeps God's law perfectly. If I sin, this does not negate the fact that the elect keep God's law perfectly. If I sin, I'm not one of the elect.

The question was, is it necessary to keep the commandments. The answer given was yes, ...
Necessary to what end?

... and the elect were created to keep them. Do you agree with this?
God created man:
Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

No, you do not have to keep the commandants? That is different than what other NCs say, although I think all NCs come to the same conclusion, that you really do not have to do anything because you consider yourselves the elect, which you state the bible says you WILL keep the commandments. That you were created to keep them.
We are not saved by keeping the commandments; we are saved by faith unto good works.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

So my question then is what happens when you don't? I assume the NC answer will be, it doesn't matter if you sin, if you do not try to keep the commandments. You are saved period. Try, don't try, it doesn't matter. correct?
Are they truly saved?

We are not saved by keeping the commandments; we are saved by faith unto good works.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Are they truly saved?
The RC version of salvation means God mistakenly sent Jesus to the cross. I mean if we could all keep the commandments then why did Jesus need to be sacrificed? RCs have no understanding of the greatest gift we can receive.

The RC version of salvation means God mistakenly sent Jesus to the cross. I mean if we could all keep the commandments then why did Jesus need to be sacrificed? RCs have no understanding of the greatest gift we can receive.
Try your best, die right after confession and if not, then undisclosed time in a supposed purgatory where one is burnt up instead of the works being burned up; plain wishful thinking, no assurance, no peace.

Jeremiah 31:31-34;Ezekiel 11:19;36:25-27;Hebrews 8:9,10

The new creation keeps God's law perfectly. If I sin, this does not negate the fact that the elect keep God's law perfectly. If I sin, I'm not one of the elect.
That would mean that no one is the elect because everyone sins?

That would mean that no one is the elect because everyone sins?
Non Sequitur. Do you believe what your bible says, or not? It clearly points out that the elect cannot be deceived. That leaves only intentional sins, and I seriously doubt the elect sin intentionally either. Therefore they cannot sin, and those who think they're the elect and still continue to sin are deluded and deceived.

Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Hebrews all point out that God places His law into the hearts of the new creation for one reason and one reason alone, i.e. "that they keep my commandments" That is the explicit purpose of the New Covenant and anyone who thinks they're in or under the New Covenant and continues to sin is seriously mistaken.

Try your best, die right after confession and if not, then undisclosed time in a supposed purgatory where one is burnt up instead of the works being burned up; plain wishful thinking, no assurance, no peace.
Isn't it Roman Catholic belief, that it is not possible in this life to have assurance of salvation (except perhaps in a very rare circumstance)?

Isn't it Roman Catholic belief, that it is not possible in this life to have assurance of salvation (except perhaps in a very rare circumstance)?
More accurately a faithful soul would realize the full assurance of hope to the very end...

Heb 9 9 Even though we speak in this way, beloved, we are confident of better things in your case, things that belong to salvation. 10 For God is not unjust; he will not overlook your work and the love that you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do. 11 And we want each one of you to show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope to the very end, 12 so that you may not become sluggish but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

More accurately a faithful soul would realize the full assurance of hope to the very end...

Heb 9 9 Even though we speak in this way, beloved, we are confident of better things in your case, things that belong to salvation. 10 For God is not unjust; he will not overlook your work and the love that you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do. 11 And we want each one of you to show the same diligence so as to realize the full assurance of hope to the very end, 12 so that you may not become sluggish but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
So really no assurance of salvation just the hope of salvation. So two RCs two different opinions

So an RC can hope, and hope, and hope, doing all the RCC demands, only to find out, "Sorry, Charlie, yer outta luck! To the inferno with you!"

With that kind of "hope" (which is the flip side of eternal security), why not just "eat, drink, and be merry"? Any assurance you may think you have is merely the sin of presumption!

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

So an RC can hope, and hope, and hope, doing all the RCC demands, only to find out, "Sorry, Charlie, yer outta luck! To the inferno with you!"

With that kind of "hope" (which is the flip side of eternal security), why not just "eat, drink, and be merry"? Any assurance you may think you have is merely the sin of presumption!

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"
summed up nicely.

When a Catholic reads these words from John 14:15, it stirs up the impulse to try harder, to examine our conscience for failures in keeping His commandments and a prayer for His help in doing better in future.

Whom do you pray to, for "help in doing better"? Mary? St. Peter? Who?
Do nonCC's take issue with this impulse?
Not necessarily, but it should be more than a mere impulse. It should be a part of our being. We should always stive to do our best and we can, by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Back