In Jesus Name ?

balshan

Is it biblical to pray in any other name ? Jesus said"Ask anything in my name and it shall be given.( according to my will)''.
The Our Father is acceptable. Jesus taught us that prayer - it can be prayed as written or used as a formula on how to pray. I consider both okay. Of course this excludes the Hail Mary and the Rosary and prayers to the dead.

Maybe you need to put an RC element in your post or it could be shifted.

jonathan_hili

Is it biblical to pray in any other name ? Jesus said"Ask anything in my name and it shall be given.( according to my will)''.
I don't see what's wrong in praying in the name of the Father and of the Holy Spirit? Even Jesus said to baptise in the name of the Three Persons.

Theophilos

On some level, every thought is a prayer to the Holy Spirit.

. . . the Spirit also helps our weakness. For we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself asks on our behalf with ineffable sighing. Romans 8:26

Theophilos

The Our Father is acceptable. Jesus taught us that prayer - it can be prayed as written or used as a formula on how to pray. I consider both okay. Of course this excludes the Hail Mary and the Rosary and prayers to the dead.

Maybe you need to put an RC element in your post or it could be shifted.
Yes, we can pray to God, the Father. . . . you shall pray in this way: Our Father, who is in heaven Mat 6:9

We can also pray to God, the Son: come, Lord Jesus. Revelation 22:20

. . . as they were stoning Stephen, he called out and said, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Then, having been brought to his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” Acts 7:58-59

We can pray to the Trinity. That is the prayer at baptism: . . . baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19

balshan

Yes, we can pray to God, the Father. . . . you shall pray in this way: Our Father, who is in heaven Mat 6:9

. . . as they were stoning Stephen, he called out and said, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Then, having been brought to his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” Acts 7:58-59

We can pray to the Trinity. That is the prayer at baptism: . . . baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit Matthew 28:19
But not to Mary and the dead. No apostle prayed to Mary after she died, no apostle prayed to Stephen after he died. I never said we couldn't pray to the Trinity.

Bonnie

No one said we could not pray to the Trinity/Triune Godhead. So, what is your point?

leonard03782

The OP makes the statement that all Christian prayers must be addressed in Jesus's name.

The bible clearly says otherwise.
It is clear that you cannot tell the difference between:

pray/prā/
verb
address a solemn request or expression of thanks to a deity or other object of worship.
"the whole family is praying for Michael"
adverb
used as a preface to polite requests or instructions.---google--

Theophilos

probably only if you want Him to hear them and answer them.
It says we can ask for anything in His name. Whose name was that?
Yes.

The bible also says to sing to God in psalms:

. . .with psalms, hymns, and spiritual canticles, singing to God with the grace in your hearts. Col 3:16

O Lord, I have cried out to you, hear me. Attend to my voice, when I cry out to you.
Let my prayer be guided like incense in your sight: the lifting up of my hands, like the evening sacrifice.
Psalm 140:1-2

That is a prayer to Christ as well:

. . . we know that there is only one God, the Father, from whom all things are, and in whom we are, and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and by whom we are. 1 Cor 8:6

Theophilos

But not to Mary and the dead. No apostle prayed to Mary after she died, no apostle prayed to Stephen after he died. I never said we couldn't pray to the Trinity.
Christians to pray for other Christians and ask others to pray for them. Death does not end that.

balshan

Yes.

The bible also says to sing to God in psalms:

. . .with psalms, hymns, and spiritual canticles, singing to God with the grace in your hearts. Col 3:16

O Lord, I have cried out to you, hear me. Attend to my voice, when I cry out to you.
Let my prayer be guided like incense in your sight: the lifting up of my hands, like the evening sacrifice.
Psalm 140:1-2

That is a prayer to Christ as well:

. . . we know that there is only one God, the Father, from whom all things are, and in whom we are, and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and by whom we are. 1 Cor 8:6
But it never says that about Mary and the saints.