In Roman Catholic History, Did That "Church" Ever Feel Threatened?

St. Paul affirms that we are called to unity in belief and practice, including unity in the Christian faith in general and belief in the Triune God and the observance of baptism in particular. To achieve and maintain such unity, Jesus establishes the visible leadership structure of his one Church, lest his disciples be unwittingly led astray into salvation-jeopardizing error.

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all. (eph4: 4-6)

So John 17 is about unity of position; not belief: thanks
re: Eph 4 Do you think Christians disagree with that??

There is one body
One body consisting of all believers (confirmed by other Catholics)

and one Spirit,
Yep One Holy Spirit

Just as you were called to the one hope
Yep, one hope

that belongs to your call, one Lord,
Yep, one Lord; Jesus

one faith,
Yep, One faith; Christian

one baptism,
Yep, one Baptism in the name of the Father, Son. and the Holy Spirit

one God
Yep. one God; God is One

What is your point???

Do you want to address these verses?

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.…
12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

So John 17 is about unity of position; not belief: thanks
re: Eph 4 Do you think Christians disagree with that??
again, it is unity in belief and practice including unity in the Christian faith in general and belief in the Triune God and the observance of baptism in particular.
There is one body
One body consisting of all believers (confirmed by other Catholics)
the body/bride of Christ is one, not many
and one Spirit,
Yep One Holy Spirit
true
Just as you were called to the one hope
Yep, one hope

that belongs to your call, one Lord,
Yep, one Lord; Jesus

one faith,
Yep, One faith; Christian
not many denominations with different faiths/beliefs
one baptism,
Yep, one Baptism in the name of the Father, Son. and the Holy Spirit
yes, trinitarian baptism
one God
Yep. one God; God is One
yes, one trinatarian God.
What is your point???
it is just one church that Jesus established here on earth and this is his body/bride.
Jesus does not have multiple bodies/brides.
Do you want to address these verses?

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.…
12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
our knowledge is God is finite in this world but this will all be perfected and complete when we attain His likeness and see Him face to face in heaven. see also 1 John3: 2

So here I am----Pastor Bob of the First Church of when the Bible speaks, we speak, and when the Bible is silent, we are silent. Suppose after 5 years I start preaching that my study of the Bible has lead me to conclude that the claims of "Rome" regarding Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide have merit. Suppose I start leading devotions to Mary, suppose I bring in statues, etc.

How long you think the leadership is going to let me be pastor in such a case? You don't think they will shut that down in a heartbeat? The leadership is going to let me get away with that in the name of freedom of thought, etc? There is absolutely no ecclesial body in the Church that is going to charge me with heresy and demand that I recant or face consequences?

The TACTICS "Rome" used to suppress heresy in the past may be dubious. But the idea that the Church of God has NO duty to attempt to suppress error and untruth? The Church has every duty to do so and every duty to ensure that God's Word is not allowed to be sullied with error. So, sir, how RIDICULOUS are YOU?
Oh, a little over a hundred years ago in the Roman Catholic Church, you would have fit in better then, than you would now! National jubilees and days of atonement was once celebrated in the RCC and was accompanied by a seamlessly endless stream of various new Roman Catholic devotions - and hideously boring processions, the 40-Hours, novenas, the Via Crucis, benedictions, vespers, special devotional exercises for the Sacred Heart and for the Blessed Virgin, perpetual adorations, mass rosaries -and all of this was coordinated, as far as possible throughout the nation. You would have fit right in romish.

Back