Interesting article on religious doubts

bigthinker

How the hell can He rescue people who refuse His rescue?
This implies that man is more powerful than God/Jesus and that God's plan can be thwarted by man.
Also, refusing to be rescue is exactly what man needs to be rescued from.

A drowning person will often fight with their rescuer.
A child will often fight being put in a car seat.
That doesn't mean the drowning person shouldn't be rescued or that the child shouldn't be buckled in.
How long till you decide that a giraffe is a reptile?

...... he sputters.

Then why should I care?

The Pixie

How the hell can He rescue people who refuse His rescue?
I thought he was all-powerful.

I thought that was what you said he did.

But of course, within an hour of saying it, you have changed your mind, as I said you would.

How long till you decide that a giraffe is a reptile?
About as long as it will take you to come clear about what you believe God does to those who reject Jesus, which is to say, it will never happen.

Then why should I care?
You tell me. Every time I point out that Christianity implicitly says God tortures billions, you respond. If you do not care, do not respond.

The Pixie

You thought wrong. As usual.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Admitting God is not all-powerful is the simplest solution to the problem of evil. There is cancer in children because God is impotent to stop it.

Once we accept that God is impotent to stop all the bad stuff happening, it makes a lot more sense. Let us face it, we are talking about a god thwarted by iron chariots.

Judges 1:19 The LORD was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had chariots fitted with iron.

stiggy wiggy

Thanks for clearing that up.

Admitting God is not all-powerful is the simplest solution to the problem of evil.

Sure is. You learned something from me. God is not powerful enough to make square circles, nor to force free will creatures such as yourself NOT to compose idiotic posts.

The Pixie

Sure is. You learned something from me. God is not powerful enough to make square circles, nor to force free will creatures such as yourself NOT to compose idiotic posts.
Or cure cancer, or stop rapists, or really do much at all.

Oh, except jam tomorrow. That he can do.

bigthinker

BINGO! First time I've seen good results from that big thinking of yours.
Fight away!
A Christian was arguing that God's attempt to reach those who need rescuing is easily thwarted by minor resistence. The implication is that God is only capable of rescuing those who want to be saved but has no power over those who resist. That idea is an excuse.

bigthinker

Square circles are not the problem.
The problem is that your God is incapable of doing that which is possible.
Your God doesn't even make round circles.

stiggy wiggy

Think about it, your God gave free will to man but is powerless against it.
Like a weak whiny parent who can't control their kids.

LOL.. So you think a strong parent can force a rebellious child to love it.

These thoughts keep getting smaller and smaller, "Big" Thinker.

bigthinker

LOL.. So you think a strong parent can force a rebellious child to love it.
ah, trying to move the goalposts, eh?
Not love, rescue.
But that's another characteristic of your God: neediness.
He's weak and needs to be loved.
What a pathetic God.

You aren't thinking at all, stig.