Is anything imputed to a believer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have never heard an RC say it.
This is from the Catholic Catechism, saying that what we feel as love is God's own life:

II. GRACE

1996 Our justification comes from the grace of God. Grace is favor, the free and undeserved help that God gives us to respond to his call to become children of God, adoptive sons, partakers of the divine nature and of eternal life.46

1997 Grace is a participation in the life of God. It introduces us into the intimacy of Trinitarian life: by Baptism the Christian participates in the grace of Christ, the Head of his Body. As an "adopted son" he can henceforth call God "Father," in union with the only Son. He receives the life of the Spirit who breathes charity into him and who forms the Church.

1998 This vocation to eternal life is supernatural. It depends entirely on God's gratuitous initiative, for he alone can reveal and give himself. It surpasses the power of human intellect and will, as that of every other creature.47

1999 The grace of Christ is the gratuitous gift that God makes to us of his own life, infused by the Holy Spirit into our soul to heal it of sin and to sanctify it. It is the sanctifying or deifying grace received in Baptism. It is in us the source of the work of sanctification:48

46 Cf. Jn 1:12-18; 17:3; Rom 8:14-17; 2 Pet 1:3-4.
47 Cf. 1 Cor 2:7-9.
48 Cf. Jn 4:14; 7:38-39.

This is from the Catholic Catechism, saying that what we feel as love is God's own life:

II. GRACE

1996 Our justification comes from the grace of God. Grace is favor, the free and undeserved help that God gives us to respond to his call to become children of God, adoptive sons, partakers of the divine nature and of eternal life.46

1997 Grace is a participation in the life of God. It introduces us into the intimacy of Trinitarian life: by Baptism the Christian participates in the grace of Christ, the Head of his Body. As an "adopted son" he can henceforth call God "Father," in union with the only Son. He receives the life of the Spirit who breathes charity into him and who forms the Church.

1998 This vocation to eternal life is supernatural. It depends entirely on God's gratuitous initiative, for he alone can reveal and give himself. It surpasses the power of human intellect and will, as that of every other creature.47

1999 The grace of Christ is the gratuitous gift that God makes to us of his own life, infused by the Holy Spirit into our soul to heal it of sin and to sanctify it. It is the sanctifying or deifying grace received in Baptism. It is in us the source of the work of sanctification:48

46 Cf. Jn 1:12-18; 17:3; Rom 8:14-17; 2 Pet 1:3-4.
47 Cf. 1 Cor 2:7-9.
48 Cf. Jn 4:14; 7:38-

This is meaningless when it comes to what RCs belief and their posts reveal what they truly believe. By the way I know you try and speak for me in your post please don't do that. I know God has input into me and my life and that is not what most RCs post. They think they go along with the catechism but they go along with what they are taught. The catechism has much more than that on works which you are avoiding. Grace is not received in Baptism at all. Most of your leaders are living proof that your sacraments are not where one gets grace at all.

They think they go along with the catechism but they go along with what they are taught.
Could well be. I don't think the catechism is well taught.
I think Catholic teachers are assuming and leaving unstated that their pupils have the Spirit in them.
So, for example, "The Spirit has put love into you, so put it into practice," becomes simply, "Don't steal and do good."
The pupil is left answering, "How? With what? Even if I know what I'm supposed to do, I can't seem to help myself but do the wrong thing."
They're not told that that's what the Spirit is for, which Christ is providing to them.
The catechism has much more than that on works which you are avoiding.
We had to establish the new creation before getting into the works of that new creation. That said, I've now written a few posts that get into the works that are examined on the day of wrath.

Could well be. I don't think the catechism is well taught.
I think Catholic teachers are assuming and leaving unstated that their pupils have the Spirit in them.
So, for example, "The Spirit has put love into you, so put it into practice," becomes simply, "Don't steal and do good."
The pupil is left answering, "How? With what? Even if I know what I'm supposed to do, I can't seem to help myself but do the wrong thing."
They're not told that that's what the Spirit is for, which Christ is providing to them.

We had to establish the new creation before getting into the works of that new creation. That said, I've now written a few posts that get into the works that are examined on the day of wrath.
No you need to be honest about what it teaches.

The Holy Spirit, is not a genie in the bottle. He is NOT a magical or mystical being, that makes us behave perfectly without one misstep. Or causes us to love other people. We humans, are NOT puppets or robots. We love God, not because the Holy Spirit entered us, but because God first loved us, when we were lost.

Do not confuse Matthew 25, with Matthew 7. They are two separate teachings.

Matthew 7:21-23
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

“Not all who sound religious are really godly people. They may refer to Jesus as ‘Lord,’ but still won’t get in to heaven. For the decisive question is whether they know Jesus, personally and more importantly; does He know them. Atheists are able to "love" others and do nice and kind things for strangers just as easily as someone who professes to be godly. But still won't get in, for salvation isn't given because of a person's good outweighing their bad

There is no "cooperating with God" and earning your way into Heaven
This is most certainly true. Paul calls the unregenerated "dead". NOT wounded but DEAD in "our trespasses and sins." The spiritually dead can no more "cooperate" in being raised to spiritual life than the dead people Jesus raised from the dead "cooperated" with Him in doing so.

Paul makes it clear that when we were DEAD in our trespasses and sins, we were made alive in Jesus Christ. PASSIVE tense.

Why are so many people so reluctant to give God all the credit and glory for their regeneration and salvation?

Last edited:
This is most certainly true. Paul calls the unregenerated "dead". NOT wounded but DEAD in "our trespasses and sins." The spiritually dead can no more "cooperate" in being raised to spiritual life than the dead people Jesus raised from the dead "cooperated" with Him in doing so.

Paul makes it clear that when we were DEAD in our trespasses and sins, we were made alive in Jesus Christ. PASSIVE tense.

Why are so many people so reluctant to give God all the credit and glory for their regeneration and salvation?
Does God get the credit for those who are not made alive in Christ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back