Is Calvinism Manichean?

Thank you brother this was very good , one for the archives to be resurrected when needed :)

Augistine was a very good apologist; one of the best.

I read it years ago, and came away thinking, this makes perfect sense!!!!

Then I realized that he was apologizing about commited attrocities.

Worth a read IMO.

Yes much of modern views ( dark ages ) have their origins in paganism with the extreme views on sovereignty , determinism and predestination. I’ve been reading up on the Greek philosophy where these originate from . And we know Augustine was heavily influenced by the gnostics. Thank you ?
LOL, Like what??

Yes much of modern views ( dark ages ) have their origins in paganism with the extreme views on sovereignty , determinism and predestination. I’ve been reading up on the Greek philosophy where these originate from . And we know Augustine was heavily influenced by the gnostics. Thank you ?

This is nothing but the logical fallacy of "guilt by association".
Augustine didn't quote Mani.
He didn't quote the Gnostics.
He quoted the Bible.
Because that's where he got the teachings.

This is nothing but the logical fallacy of "guilt by association".
Augustine didn't quote Mani.
He didn't quote the Gnostics.
He quoted the Bible.
Because that's where he got the teachings.

He was using the bible to justify, the unjustifiable.

Paid Apologist, and a very good one at that.

Nope God does not irresistibly install faith in anyone
The betrayal of the Gospel has been going on for a long time.

And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. Acts 15:1

Here we learn of the clear emergence of what we can only call false Christianity. You will never understand Christianity until you understand that there are always present, in any so-called Christian gathering, manifestations and representatives of both true and false Christianity. Unfortunately, false Christianity is believed by millions who think they have understood the true, and have rejected the false. Therefore their minds are closed to the truth when it comes. Here we see the first emergence of that kind of false Christianity which is unthinkingly accepted by millions of people today.

Sound familiar?

Link removed per mod

Last edited by a moderator:
It is resistible

no

2 Thessalonians 2:10 (KJV 1900) — 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

I don't think you understand what "prevenient grace" is.
Prevenient grace doesn't save.

Your question is stupid. Everyone knows what it means to recieve a gift.
Calling something stupid because you can't explain it is not very convincing

When one receives a gift they reach out their hand and take possession

Is that what you want to claim?

What if you recieve it in the mail?

What if it's left on your porch?

Do you really think faith is tangible, and made of matter?
Do you really think you can hold "faith" in your hand?

A common objection is that Augustine's theology was influenced by Manicheanism and then Calvin was influenced by Augustine, thus getting Manichean ideas into the church.
Is this true? false?
I think that Calvinism is better classified as Iconoclastic. Its Total Depravity doctrine is Iconoclastic to the core. Essentially, the doctrine of Total Depravity is the smashing of the icon image of God in man, a dehumanization of man.

I also think that Calvinism was heavily influenced by the iconoclastic spirit that reeked from the south, namely Islam. Both Calvinism and Islam drank and still drink from the same iconoclastic spirit.

As far as the Bible is concerned, nowhere in the Bible has man ever totally lost the icon image of God that is in all of us as evidenced by our God-given hearts and conscience (Rom 2:14-15). Still, I do believe that man is depraved but not totally depraved.

Back