Is Christianity Too Hard For You?

Hark

For anyone that has quit Christianity, believing it is too hard, feel free to share.

I have come across former believers saying that. One of them cite keeping the commitment to Christ was too hard. He even went on to say that little children should not make a commitment, because ever since he had made the commitment, the devil was after him to break it ever since.

The problem here is that Jesus invites the little children to come to Him, and all they can do is trust the Lord at His word. When Christians believe little children do not understand nor can be sincere when they make that commitment to Christ, they forget that is the Father that draws men & babes unto the Son to believe in Him to be saved.

Mark 10:13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. 15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

So Christianity can be easy when you are not looking to yourself to do the best you can by the religious flesh like keeping that commitment to Christ, but when you are relying on the Lord all the time to help you to follow Him. How else can His yoke be easy & His burden is light? So that altar call to make a commitment to follow Christ is not what Jesus had taught.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

So it is not about how sincere you are or the child, but how sincere Jesus Christ is and trusting Him for all things.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

If we could not save ourselves, then we need to deny ourselves as able to follow Him by looking to our will in doing the best we can, but instead look to Jesus Christ to help us law aside every weight & sin daily in running that race as our confidence is in Him to finish it to His glory & to the glory of God the Father.

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure....8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:... 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

So if you had quit because it was too hard to follow Jesus, try looking to Him for help in following Him, because you are saved simply for believing in Him so do not cast away your confidence in Him as we are instructed to do when we undergo trials and temptations.

Hebrews 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. 36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. 37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry. 38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

That is what happens when a believer divides their hope in Him to also include looking to themselves in doing the best we can, then when He appears, they will draw back because their hope was not solely on Him. They will always measure themselves rather than rest in the Lord & hope in Him for following Him.

So ask the Lord to set you free from all yokes of bondages that are His to keep, including loving your spouse, because we can do all things thru Jesus Christ..

Perhaps the reason many find Christianity hard is that they are not really Christians. I was in this condition once. I attended a theologically liberal church and didn't understand the true way of salvation. I believed the way to be a Christian was to be baptized and then do your best of live up to what the Bible teaches. I believed that Christianity was hard because it depended on my obedience to God to maintain my salvation. Now that I understand that it depends on what Christ has done for me I don't find it hard at all.

Perhaps the reason many find Christianity hard is that they are not really Christians. I was in this condition once. I attended a theologically liberal church and didn't understand the true way of salvation. I believed the way to be a Christian was to be baptized and then do your best of live up to what the Bible teaches. I believed that Christianity was hard because it depended on my obedience to God to maintain my salvation. Now that I understand that it depends on what Christ has done for me I don't find it hard at all.
The only obedience I know of that He requires from us is to believe Him. Believe in Him that we are saved for simply believing in Him. And believe Him to be our Good Shepherd to help us love others and abide in His words as His disciples so we can bear fruit and that our joy may be full. He will help us walk in the light and not in darkness in having fellowship with the Father & the Son where we could not do it by doing the best we can. This is how we get to know Him & the power of His resurrection for why the just shall live by faith in Him & all His promises to us.

Legalism is a powerful trap of false religion that puts the burden of demand to perform on our own efforts.

It is very common that people minister the law to try to sanctify people instead of the free gift of grace.

Living under your own power will inevitably fail and can lead to disillusionment and the temptation to give up.
John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. 24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, 25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

This is why Jesus did not put any confidence in man to be able to follow Him. That is why He is asking us to trust Him as our Good Shepherd to help us to follow Him.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

If someone comes along and ask you to follow him, he is basically asking others to trust him. This is what Jesus is asking us to do for all who wish to follow Him.

We are to deny ourselves as able to follow Him as we were when we could not save ourselves. By picking up the cross daily, we are dead to self in relying on Christ in us all the time for following Him. Jesus Christ is the power & confidence for living this reconciled relationship with God.

Galatians 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. 20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

That is why it is simply written that the just shall live by faith, in Jesus Christ & His New Covenant to us; something a child can do.

It's true but a Romans 7 experience can be very difficult and prolonged, where we learn to stop trusting in ourselves.
The Lord Jesus Christ did deliver me from all my yokes of bondages to rest in Him to help me to follow Him, and I still need His help to continually rest in Him for His help in following Him, so I agree that it is a daily thing we should be trusting Jesus to help us to do, even to trust Him too.

May God cause the increase.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: 7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Back