Is faith a condition of salvation?

Absolutely.
I had no control about it "Coming" (couldn't make it come - but, I COULD stay out of places that would bring it like Churches, or "the hour of decision" on radio). SO God got me 2000 miles away from home, and cornered me with my newly saved room mate.

Better than going to hell for eternity. Life was hell anyway.

I'm not a "Calvinist", and I don't use their terminology. All I know was that I was Convicted of my SIN again, but this time I surrendered, repented (as best as I knew how), and cried out to HIM to save me. And everything changed.

No question but that God was on my trail (the "Hound of Heaven" thing). Eventually, HE "ran me to ground".
Okay ……. ?

Who needs faith (hope) for what they already have? (See Rom 8:24) Once we are in eternity our faith is made sight! We will know as we are fully known and there will be no need for faith, for we will see him as he is! Faith will be fulfilled!

Doug

Then you are witnessing to your imperfections. I personally believe that is a good thing.

Can I give you some friendly advice?

Try context. ?

Got context?

Nope! Wrong!
Christ’s death actually saved. It made nothing possible.

Scripture is quite clear that Christ’s sacrifice accomplished what he came to do. I pray one day you will discover this mystery
The scriptures speak otherwise

and you did nothing to address them.

Your so called advise is nothing more than an excuse to dismiss scripture which is contrary to your theology.

The scriptures speak otherwise

and you did nothing to address them.

Your so called advise is nothing more than an excuse to dismiss scripture which is contrary to your theology.
Most of your posts are to dismiss scripture imo. By flooding threads with copy and paste and scripture taken out of context don’t change the truth. It’s still there Tom. We just have to take the time to look through it, keeping it in context.

But go ahead, you run your own “side show” have fun with it.

Is faith, strictly speaking, a condition of salvation? Does a man have to believe before he can be saved?
Faith (belief) is evidence of salvation.

Again,
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, ……….1 John 5:1.

Yes, that is what we learn from the bible; that man must believe before he is saved.

Our Lord died on the cross freeing us from the law that we may be saved through faith. Jesus 100% secured salvation for man by His sacrificial death on the cross. God now commands man to repent and believe in His Son.

Both, Jesus' death makes it possible for man to be saved, and it does save when one believes.

God bless
Amen to the truth . Belief precedes regeneration/ salvation .

Reactions: Joe
Who needs faith (hope) for what they already have? (See Rom 8:24) Once we are in eternity our faith is made sight! We will know as we are fully known and there will be no need for faith, for we will see him as he is! Faith will be fulfilled!

Doug
Agreed brother !

Faith always precedes new life , new birth , born again , born of the spirit , regeneration, eternal life , salvation in scripture.

Ezekiel 18:30-32

“Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Notice what comes first

1- Repent , turn away from sin
2- the after you repent you get a new heart/spirit ( calvinism- regeneration, new life)
3- repent then you live, have life- ie new heart, spirit.

John has the same order in in his opening of the gospel and in his purpose statement for writing his gospel.

John 1:12-13
“Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

Same order as above receive, believe, call on Him then the new birth follows.

John 20:31
“But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Once again the order is consistent with the OT- belief/repentance precedes life.

Romans 10:8-13
But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Again above we see its hearing the gospel, believing the message , confessing then calling upon the Lord results in salvation.

Acts tells us the same order in 11:18- "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.” Repent precedes life.

Paul confirms the order in Ephesians below as well. Hearing and believing precedes the Holy Spirit that we were sealed with not before belief.

Ephesians 1:13
“And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit

James and Peter have the same exact order in James 1:18 , 1 Peter 1:23.

See how scripture is consistent when you do not read your doctrine into it but read it objectively, without bias ?

conclusion: as we read in these SALVIFIC passages there is a consistent order.

1- hearing the word, the gospel
2- believing the gospel
3- receiving the gospel
4- calling upon the Lord
5- confessing Jesus is Lord
6- resulting in the new birth, born of God, salvation, eternal life

hope this helps !!!

Faith always precedes new life , new birth , born again , born of the spirit , regeneration, eternal life , salvation in scripture.

“Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Notice what comes first

2- the after you repent you get a new heart/spirit ( calvinism- regeneration, new life)

John has the same order in in his opening of the gospel and in his purpose statement for writing his gospel.

“Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

“But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Once again the order is consistent with the OT- belief/repentance precedes life.

But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Again above we see its hearing the gospel, believing the message , confessing then calling upon the Lord results in salvation.

Acts tells us the same order in 11:18- "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.” Repent precedes life.

Paul confirms the order in Ephesians below as well. Hearing and believing precedes the Holy Spirit that we were sealed with not before belief.

“And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit

See how scripture is consistent when you do not read your doctrine into it but read it objectively, without bias ?

2- believing the gospel
3- receiving the gospel
4- calling upon the Lord

hope this helps !!!
All this, using scripture to try and prove your humanistic beliefs. ? your free will, man centered religion.
You should know better!

The spirit of the age (individualism) is on display.

I’ll leave you with just one passage for now. Hope it helps.

Romans 9,
What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, as it is written,
“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense;
and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

Notice what comes first
Notice the humanism and then trying to fit scripture to it.
?

2- believing the gospel
3- receiving the gospel
4- calling upon the Lord

hope this helps !!!

Yes augustine and calvin taught humanism, paganism and gnosticism and combined it with Christianity . Yikes .

hope this helps !!!

Yes augustine and calvin taught humanism, paganism and gnosticism and combined it with Christianity . Yikes .

hope this helps !!!
I’ll be happy to help you through your posts above. Just give me a little time, have to run out. I’ll show you your free will idol just isn’t there bud.
?

hope this helps !!!
I’m going to start another thread. “What is the gospel?”
I think this may be part of the problem here.

Trying to help

I highly doubt you could define it without google. Good luck. The doctrines of disgrace are not the gospel. Those are man made.

hope this helps !!!

I highly doubt you could define it without google. Good luck. The doctrines of disgrace are not the gospel. Those are man made.

hope this helps !!!
I think all do alright. I’ll leave the gospel intact and not remove parts as you have with wrath and such.

I think all do alright. I’ll leave the gospel intact and not remove parts as you have with wrath and such.
Nowhere is wrath and the gospel found in the same sentence in scripture

oops

Last edited by a moderator:
Back