Is Hell a Real Place?

PeanutGallery

Greetings RayneBeau,

No, hell is the grave where man returns to the dust Acts 2:27.

Kind regards
Trevor
Tell that to the rich man:
Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luke 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
Acts 2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
Acts 2:26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

That is a prophecy regarding the resurrection from the dead; not eternal punishment.

RayneBeau

Isn't this a clear description of the judgment of God upon those who die in their sins, as well as the nature of their eternal destiny?

"And I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, everyone of them according to their deeds. And death and Hades wre thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
Revelations:-11-15

Is Hell a real place of judgment and condemnation for sin which lasts for eternity?
Hell is both a state of being and a place. Yes, it is eternal.

This is because those in Hell perpetually will a rejection of God, Christ, the cross and salvation. Because they perpetually will to reject God's offer of salvation, and because they perpetually refuse to acknowledge Jesus as Lord, God wills their perpetual damnation. Those who are in Hell not in Hell because of anything God has done or not done, but because of their choices, namely their choice to refuse to accept the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

PeanutGallery

This is because those in Hell perpetually will a rejection of God, Christ, the cross and salvation. Because they perpetually will to reject God's offer of salvation, and because they perpetually refuse to acknowledge Jesus as Lord, God wills their perpetual damnation. Those who are in Hell not in Hell because of anything God has done or not done, but because of their choices, namely their choice to refuse to accept the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
Are they not also in hell for not submitting to RCC's Pope and sacraments?

mica

This is because those in Hell perpetually will a rejection of God, Christ, the cross and salvation. Because they perpetually will to reject God's offer of salvation,
What is God's offer of salvation?

how does one reject it?

and because they perpetually refuse to acknowledge Jesus as Lord, God wills their perpetual damnation.
how does someone refuse to acknowledge Jesus as Lord?

Those who are in Hell not in Hell because of anything God has done or not done, but because of their choices, namely their choice to refuse to accept the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
What does that mean?

balshan

Is Hell a real place of judgment and condemnation for sin which lasts for eternity?
I think it is the place (for want of a better word) of condemnation which lasts for eternity. Is it a lake of fire, smells of sulphur?

verses:

Rev 21.8

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.

Matt 10:28

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Does this mean the soul is destroyed into non existence, or it is destroyed as to pysche. This could mean suffering for eternity is not the result but so many others say it is for eternity

Matt 25:46

And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

Rev 20:10

And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever

Matt 25:41

Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

2 thess 1:9

They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might

matt 13:50

And throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I think from just some of the passages referring to hell, it is an extremely unpleasant place where a soul will suffer for eternity. Eternity is a concept that my mind has trouble comprehending. No mention of puratory. Apparently there are 35 verses on hell.

RayneBeau

If you read Rev. 20: 11-19, it talks about 2 types of people in those verses, those who are judged and eternally condemned in the lake of fire, and those who escape judgment because their names are written in the book of life. Those who are judged and condemned are judged according to their deeds and their behavior. Their lives are compared to the demands of the Law of God and they are found guilty and condemned. This judgment of God is very real. The Bible tells us that 'it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment' (that verse is in Hebrews 9:27). But the wonderful news of the gospel is that it is possible to escape the judgment of God. It is possible to have one's name written in the Lamb's book of life," and so be saved, forgiven and delivered from guilt and condemnation from the power of sin, and from an eternal hell. It is possible to receive a new life in which we are reconciled to God and enabled to live for His glory. This is what the Lord Jesus came to accomplish: "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.'

Teresa

According to Hebrews there is an important reason to submit to our leaders.

Heb 13 17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.

PeanutGallery

Heb 13 17 Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you.
You did not answer the question:

balshan

Really your leaders did not look out for the children or the nuns did they?

balshan

Nobody can judge another persons eternal fate, but with faith in Gods command to obey our leaders, we are morally obligated.
No we are not moral obligated to obey anyone without questioning those commands. Paul clearly praised the Bereans for ensuring that they were not being taught by a wolf in sheep's clothing.

balshan

Each person will be judged by God. No body else can definitively say another person is going to hell.
Nowhere has PeanutGallery suggested that this or that person is going to hell. Please stop twisting the posts and implying they say things they don't.

What is God's offer of salvation?

I don't understand.......aren't you the fundamentalist here?

God's offer of salvation is eternal life in Christ who is the way, the truth and the life.
how does one reject it?

That depends. Are you in to TULIP? If you are into TULIP one cannot reject it.

Catholics aren't in to TULIP. Rejecting God's offer of salvation for Catholics would be a misuse of the freedom God gave us.
how does someone refuse to acknowledge Jesus as Lord?

Again, you are the fundamentalist here. Why are you asking me questions that you already know the answer to?
What does that mean?
What does it mean to reject the Lordship of Jesus Christ?

Well, from your perspective.....it means being Catholic, right?