Is it a good idea for there to be affirmative action in all institutions of the U.S. including the military not just the Universities?

Is it a good idea for there to be affirmative action in all institutions of the U.S. including the military not just the Universities?

Is that unfair to white people who come form other countries to live in the U.S.?

Temujin

Is that unfair to white people who come form other countries to live in the U.S.?
Could you explain please what you mean by affirmative action, in particular in relation to your final sentence, which I genuinely don't understand.

Could you explain please what you mean by affirmative action, in particular in relation to your final sentence, which I genuinely don't understand.
Choosing people based upon them being a minority instead of merit and other qualifications when it comes to positions in places like the military, entertainment, media, politics and etc.

Some say that doing the above is to correct the injustices in the U.S. that currently go on and are effects of the past. Some say that some from other countries who are white don't have anything to do with that so is that fair to them if they come to live in then U.S. and lose an opportunity because a minority was chose instead of them based mainly on them being a minority. Is that unfair to white people who come form other countries to live in the U.S.?

Temujin

Choosing people based upon them being a minority instead of merit and other qualifications when it comes to positions in places like the military, entertainment, media, politics and etc.

Some say that doing the above is to correct the injustices in the U.S. that currently go on and are effects of the past. Some say that some from other countries who are white don't have anything to do with that so is that fair to them if they come to live in then U.S. and lose an opportunity because a minority was chose instead of them based mainly on them being a minority. Is that unfair to white people who come form other countries to live in the U.S.?
OK. Firstly, I would be surprised if affirmative action is actually as you describe it. Certainly our equivalent would be to appoint a minority member if they are as qualified as the other applicants. In the case of disability, an interview may be guaranteed, but appointments are still made on merit.

The second point is rank nonsense. Whatever "some people" may say, laws of any country apply to everyone who lives there. Either immigrants are given dispensation or they are not. It should be quire clear in the law.

Electric Skeptic

No and yes, if it were implemented, it would be unfair to all white people, whether born here or migrants. That's the whole point of affirmative action; to be unfair to those who've been previously privileged and, conversely, to privilege those who've previously been the victim of unfairness.

I am opposed to affirmative action.

No and yes, if it were implemented, it would be unfair to all white people, whether born here or migrants. That's the whole point of affirmative action; to be unfair to those who've been previously privileged and, conversely, to privilege those who've previously been the victim of unfairness.

I am opposed to affirmative action.
So it appears affirmative action is injustice to fight injustice?