Is It Necessary For God To Work In...

Sketo

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,
for it is God who works in you,
both
to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Philippians 2:12-13

Why is it necessary for God to “work in” the believerto will”...
but there are some here on this forum that teach
it is
not necessary for God to “work in” the unbelieverto will”?

PeanutGallery

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling,
for it is God who works in you,
both
to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Why is it necessary for God to “work in” the believerto will”...
it is
not necessary for God to “work in” the unbelieverto will”?
This may provide the context:

Psalm 25:12 What man is he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.

Sketo

This may provide the context:

Psalm 25:12 What man is he that feareth the LORD? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.

1Cor 4:7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

Septextura

John 6
28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

T

TomFL

John 6
28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Yep that is what God requires of you

He doesn't do it for you

Sketo

John 6

Its right there in the verse and some still assume they can “will” and “doapart fromGod works in you, both to will and to do”!

Man centered philosophy is sad!

God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 1:28-31

because of him you are in Christ Jesus”... can’t get any clearer than that!

Septextura

Its right there in the verse and some still assume they can “will” and “doapart fromGod works in you, both to will and to do”!

Man centered philosophy is sad!

God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord." - 1 Corinthians 1:28-31

because of him you are in Christ Jesus”... can’t get any clearer than that!

Blindness.

zerinus

John 6
So “belief” is a “work” then. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't thought of it that way.

T

TomFL

John 6
The Jews had asked Jesus what works God requires of them to work the works of God

Jesus tells them they need to believe

God is not going to believe for them

He enables faith through his word but it is still man's responsibility to believe

T

TomFL

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling...

... for it is God who works in you,
both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Uh

Unbelievers are not working out their own salvation

Why would you insist on posting this continuous misapplication ?

ReverendRV

Uh

Why would you insist on posting this continuous misapplication ?
I think the OP wants to know why God Works in Believers for Salvation but doesn't Work in Unbelievers for Salvation?

Oldsaint24

John 6
And you might believe and actually know you have employment. But if you don't go and do the work.....what good is believing and knowing you have employment? Your believing or knowing does you no good and no paycheck at the end of the week. Comprehend my point?

zerinus

I think the OP wants to know why God Works in Believers for Salvation but doesn't Work in Unbelievers for Salvation?
Because faith, or belief, invites that divine operative influence into our lives:

John 16:

27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

1 Thessalonians 2:

13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Faith, or belief, always comes first, and all the other blessings follow as a reward or a consequence.

T

TomFL

I think the op is an effort to justify a poor selection of scripture which took a verse which was written to believers

to make a point about unbelievers while perpetuating a falsehood that it was taught that God does no work
concerning unbelievers

as seen here

it is not necessary for God to “work in” the unbeliever “to will”?

as if the convicting work is no work

You may be unaware of this but this is a spillover from another op

where the poster is an effort to prove the unbeliever is effectually caused to believe

cited a verse which applies to believers

I pointed out that verse is worthless to prove his point

From that point on he falsely claimed I do not believe God needs to do any work in the unbeliever as though the

conviction of the spirit and God's word doing its work is no work

Last edited by a moderator:

Sketo

Is it because they are not ableto will” and “to work” on their own salvation without God first working in them, both to will and to work for his good pleasure like Philippians 2:12-13 says?

Where would an unbeliever’s “will” to “work” come from?

Sketo

The emphasis is on the “to will” part!

If it is necessary for God to work in one “to will” but not in the other “to will”?

It does not make sense that God must work in the believer “to will” when TomFL says God does not have to work in the unbeliever “to will” in the exact same way.

To will” is the part that Tom is avoiding when he says...

as seen here

it is not necessary for God to “work in” the unbelieverto will”?

as if the convicting work is no work

You may be unaware of this but this is a spillover from another op

where the poster is an effort to prove the unbeliever is effectually caused to believe

cited a verse which applies to believers

I pointed out that verse is worthless to prove his point

From that point on he falsely claimed I do not believe God needs to do any work in the unbeliever as though the

conviction of the spirit and God's word doing its work is no work

Conviction is not equivalent to “God working in them both to will and to work”!

TomFL reduces “God’s working in the believer both to will and to workdown to mere conviction and nothing more.

for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. - Philippians 2:12-13

Is this mere “conviction” like TomFL says??? I think not... it’s way more!

Septextura

And you might believe and actually know you have employment. But if you don't go and do the work.....what good is believing and knowing you have employment? Your believing or knowing does you no good and no paycheck at the end of the week. Comprehend my point?

You don't comprehend the gospel, my friend.