Is Jehovah His Name?

TrevorL

Greetings again Steven,
How do you explain the 20 or so Theophoric names that start with the same consonants and vowels as Jehovah?
I am not expert in languages, but for a start there were no vowels added in the OT manuscripts until much later. How do we get Pierre in French and Peter in English? How do you account for Isaiah and the abbreviation Yah? There are now two different forms of the YHWH Name, one with the vowels of Adonai and the other Elohim. This was an indication to the reader to not pronounce the Divine Name, but to read Adonai and Elohim. The form Jehovah or Yehovah was NEVER intended. Refer to AB Davidson, Rotherham and the JW article that I quoted.

Kind regards
Trevor

Steven Avery

The prefix is Yeho- (about 20 OT names.)

The suffix is yah or yahu, like Bibi Netanyahu, Isaiah

Yah is a poetic or contraction form.

TrevorL

Greetings again Steven,
Yah is a poetic or contraction form.
Yes it seems to be poetic. It occurs in the following, followed by YHWH:
Isaiah 12:2 (KJV): Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD (YAH) JEHOVAH (YHWH) is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

In the following the two forms of YHWH, S#3088 and S#3089 occur. The reason why this difference was introduced to indicate to the reader to say Adonai Elohim and avoid saying Adonai Adonai.,
Isaiah 50:4–10 (KJV): 4 The Lord GOD (S#3089) hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned. 5 The Lord GOD (S#3089) hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back. 6 I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting. 7 For the Lord GOD (S#3089) will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed. 8 He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me. 9 Behold, the Lord GOD (S#3089) will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they all shall wax old as a garment; the moth shall eat them up. 10 Who is among you that feareth the LORD (S#3088), that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD (S#3088), and stay upon his God.

From my Enhanced Strongs:
3068 יהוה, יְהוִה [Yâhovah /yeh·ho·vaw/] n pr dei. From 1961; 6519 occurrences; AV translates as “LORD” 6510 times, “GOD” four times, “JEHOVAH” four times, and “variant” once. 1 the proper name of the one true God. 1A unpronounced except with the vowel pointings of 0136.

3069 יהוה, יְהוִה [Yâhovih /yeh·ho·vee/] n pr dei. A variation of 3068 [used after 136, and pronounced by Jews as 430, in order to prevent the repetition of the same sound, since they elsewhere pronounce 3068 as 136]; 305 occurrences; AV translates as “GOD” 304 times, and “LORD” once. 1 Jehovah—used primarily in the combination ‘Lord Jehovah’. 1A equal to 03068 but pointed with the vowels of 0430.

Kind regards
Trevor

Steven Avery

A helpful chart, originally from Scott Jones, showing how the theophoric names support Jehovah (or Yehovah) as the tetragram!

1636733516903.png

TrevorL

Greetings again Steven,
A helpful chart, originally from Scott Jones, showing how the theophoric names support Jehovah (or Yehovah) as the tetragram!

How do you explain the 20 or so Theophoric names that start with the same consonants and vowels as Jehovah?
Although I responded to this before, my further comment is that the Masorites recognised the prefix portion of the Divine Name and did not want to pronounce "the forbidden Name'.

I asked the following, and also gave my explanation, but would be interested in your explanation.
How do you explain the two different versions of the YHWH Name with different vowel points S#3068,3069?
In the following the two forms of YHWH, S#3088 and S#3089 occur. The reason why this difference was introduced to indicate to the reader to say Adonai Elohim and avoid saying Adonai Adonai.,
Possibly Dr. Nehemia Gordon has either mentioned this elsewhere, or he has ignored this well known aspect altogether as it is in Strong's Concordance and this was first published in 1894.
I am ABSOLUTELY SURE that JWs will DEFINITELY be able to engage with this! After all, they are KNOWN for both having and demonstrating GREAT scholarship!
The article that I quoted " “Jehovah” pages 882-895 in the JW Book Aid to Bible Understanding." no longer appears in later JW publications, and I assume that it was an embarrassment to their insistence of using "Jehovah" in the NWT and their advertising how important they are in using and preaching "Jehovah" in their more recent booklets. I suggest that this proves that their eldership is not Spirit guided as they claim.

Kind regards
Trevor

imJRR

I'll do more than suggest - I will declare: The JW "leadership" (actually, "masters" is a more accurate term, considering the degree of power and control they have and exert over the rank and file) has never been guided by the Holy Spirit. The false Christ of the JWs and the false way of salvation of the JWs is glaringly clear proof of this. And those are just two of multiple examples that prove it.