Is Sola Scriptura (being limited to only the Bible alone for everything) Biblical, logical, and practical?

that was around AD 393--

You are completely clueless.
The entire Bible was completely written by the end of the first century.

and even then, less than 10% were literate, bibles in the middle ages cost about 3 years salary

And this is the least bit relevant to ANYTHING..... how?

we all say that... Anglicans, Baptists, non-denominational, Methodist, etc.

Another pointless remark

just your personal interpretations of the bible

Again, Jesus told US to "search the Scriptures".
Why do you wish to disobey Him?
And even worse, why are you trying to get ME to disobey Him?

I have!!!
And I have truth!!!
And you don't!!!

So maybe you should take your own advice!!!

I AM able to do that.
that would be impossible in the first, second, and third century
No clue what you're talking about.
The Early Church.... instead of cherry picking the ECF's, have you read what they say as a church member?
And telling me to "focus" is a personal attack.
?
So you claim Christ is a "mere" man?

The Bible wasn't written 500 years ago.
correct
My theology is 2000 years old.
nope
Please lose the childish and bankrupt attacks.
?
So you claim Christ is a "mere" man?

that would be impossible in the first, second, and third century

Well, I don't live in those centuries.
I live in the 21st century.
And I have a Bible.
And unlike you, I believe what's in it.

The Early Church.... instead of cherry picking the ECF's, have you read what they say as a church member?

Since they aren't the infallible word of God, I couldn't care less.
They taught error, they contradicted themselves, and each other.

I NEVER claimed Jesus was a "mere" man.
That was YOU.
Bearing false witness is a sin.
If you would bother to read the Bible, you would know that.

And so comments about "500 years ago" are completely irrelevant.

Yeah, my theology IS 2000 years old.

And simply quoting "nope" isn't going to change that FACT.

Correct.
YOU claimed Jesus was a "mere" man.
I didn't claim it.
YOU claimed it.
If you would read the Bible, you would know that.

You are completely clueless.
are we allowed to say that on carm theo? o_O:oops:
The entire Bible was completely written by the end of the first century.
false.... the bible is a bound book... letters,, gospels, epistles were written though
And this is the least bit relevant to ANYTHING..... how?
it is relevant because all you would have in the early centuries, is The Church!
Another pointless remark
kindness theo :cautious:
Again, Jesus told US to "search the Scriptures".
Why do you wish to disobey Him?
I follow Christ and His Church -- you haven't gotten to that stage yet.... hope that the HS guides you
I have!!!
continue the journey theo
And I have truth!!!
some truth, yes... but don't you want the fullness of The Faith?

are we allowed to say that on carm theo? o_O:oops:

Are you saying that we're not allowed to tell the truth on CARM?
Btw, are you playing moderator? Are YOU allowed to do that?

false.... the bible is a bound book... letters,, gospels, epistles were written though

You keep posting irrelevant things.
What exactly is your point?
I don't think you even have one.

it is relevant because all you would have in the early centuries, is The Church!

Wrong.
They had the Scriptures in the early centuries.
As I pointed out already, the ENTIRE Bible was written by the end of the first century.

kindness theo :cautious:

You mean you're finally going to show me some?
I can't wait!

I follow Christ and His Church --

No, you don't.

you haven't gotten to that stage yet....

Actually, I have.
But thanks for your concern.

hope that the HS guides you

He has.

continue the journey theo

And that journey continues to take me further away from the corrupt RCC.

some truth, yes... but don't you want the fullness of The Faith?

Of course.
But I'm never going to find it in the corrupt RCC.

Well, I don't live in those centuries.
those are the centuries we are talking about ... the early Christians, after the apostles
I live in the 21st century.
what a coincidence, so do I -- ?
And I have a Bible.
so do I ... we have so much in common theo
Since they aren't the infallible word of God, I couldn't care less.
They taught error, they contradicted themselves, and each other.
you post them on several boards
I NEVER claimed Jesus was a "mere" man.
you claimed that I said it... not very sporting of you theo :whistle:
Indeed... go back and see your post regarding Jesus -- something I NEVER SAID :mad::whistle:
If you would bother to read the Bible, you would know that.
so you assume I don't read the bible... not very Christian of you theo
Yeah, my theology IS 2000 years old.
not one person on this planet had your views theo

Are you saying that we're not allowed to tell the truth on CARM?
calling someone clueless? really?
You keep posting irrelevant things.
like the early Christians after the apostles? not having a bible? hmmmmmmm, irrelevant? ?
As I pointed out already, the ENTIRE Bible was written by the end of the first century.
good luck finding a bible in the first century theo
You mean you're finally going to show me some?
I can't wait!
I respond in kind ... there are several posters that have different theologies, but they don't attack
No, you don't.
follow Christ and His Church? Indeed I do!
But I'm never going to find it in the corrupt RCC.
when you speak of Christ's Church like that you should be reminded -- [Mt 12:36]

like the early Christians after the apostles? not having a bible? hmmmmmmm, irrelevant? ?

They did have a Bible.

good luck finding a bible in the first century theo

If there wasn't a Bible, what were all the AF's and ECF's quoting?
(Spoiler Alert: It was the BIBLE.)

I respond in kind ... there are several posters that have different theologies, but they don't attack

Sure, blame your behaviour on me.
But let's suppose (for the sake of argument) that my behaviour was as bad as yours (which would be a personal attack, btw)... What does the Bible teach?:

Prov. 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest you be like him yourself.

And there was something Jesus also taught about "turning the other cheek".

when you speak of Christ's Church like that you should be reminded -- [Mt 12:36]

I didn't speak of Christ's church like that.
Christ would have nothing to do with your corrupt church.

Sola scriptura is not biblical.

Try the FIVE SOLAS, not just one.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

If you don't have the Spirit of Christ, you won't understand spiritual things. The Bible teaches that.

Last edited:
I have a major soft spot for Lutheranism because I was baptized Lutheran and its positions so frequently match early patristic ones, like on the Real Presence. This draws me to consider and evaluate one of its foundational dogmas or axioms, "Sola Scriptura."

Luther and the Lutheran Church who created the Sola Scriptura concept defined it in their writings like the Formula of Concord to mean that the Bible Alone is the Only rule and authority:

Accordingly, one would not also use other sources outside the Bible like early Christian writings or Church Councils to help decide on teachings. It's a nicely convenient idea to imagine that we have a single text alone that addresses all religious questions. It also is a convenient way to avoid being forced into the tons of extrabiblical Catholic teachings of the Magisterium.

But the Lutheran and Reformed dogma of Sola Scriptura appears disprovable in both logic and practice. Following the dogma of Sola Scriptura, one should use the Bible alone to judge whether to use the Bible alone. When we turn to the Bible alone to judge this question, we find passages on tangential topics: It says that all Scripture is inspired and it commends early Christians for following the apostles' "traditions." At one point Paul writes in a Biblical epistle that women should wear head coverings and not have authority over mean, and says that his teaching on the topic, which cover numerous verses, is not inspired. However, the Bible alone never specifically says that the Bible alone is the only rule or authority to decide all teachings.

In fact, the Bible gives lots of suggestions to use other helpful sources and materials in addition to judge questions. For example, John's Gospel noted that Jesus gave sayings that were not recorded in the Bible, and the Bible notes that the apostles appointed overseers or bishops over the Christian community. One of the first bishops was Clement of Rome whom Paul mentions. Early writings like II Clement have sayings by Jesus outside the Bible. If you were living in the mid-1st Century, Jesus' sayings and the decisions by apostles and bishops would have some rulemaking authority for you, even if they were neither written in the Bible nor infallible decisions.

The early Church responsible for the Bible must not have wanted and intended for the Bible to be the only authority for Christians because they would have said so in it. The Torah has many detailed prohibitions like avoiding mixing wool with linen. Naturally, if they wanted Christianity to teach such a foundational Lutheran idea as Sola Scriptura, they would have written something like "Scripture is the Only rule" or "never use any authority outside Scripture." Nor does it even claim to cover all religious questions.

Then there is the practical problem. If Sola Scriptura was correct, a faithful person or community could just read the Bible alone and would reasonably find the Bible's position on every issue from it. But in practice, if sincere individual Christians or their groups go by the Bible Alone, they don't understand what its writers intended on all issues. If you give a Bible to a person or group who were never taught anything about Christianity, whether they are tribal people in Africa or young college educated European or Chinese inquirers, they are de facto not going to choose the right answer to every major religious question from Trinitarianism to the Real Presence to Infant baptism.

Second, the Sola Scriptura denominations, from Lutherans to the Amish to Baptists to Calvinists, disagree on what the Bible teaches on such major issues as having bishops, baptizing infants, and the objective Real Presence in the elements. Each one may believe that they have found the Biblical position by reading the Bible alone and that all other Bible-Only believers are wrong. But objectively and practically speaking, if the Bible Alone were the right, correct approach for faithful Christians, then they would not read it and come to so many opposite conclusions on so many questions so frequently.
It's definitely not biblical

It's definitely not biblical
Nor is it what Luther taught without additional solas. In order to prove Lutherans wrong, a person has to do more than take one phrase and condemn Lutheranism based on only a misunderstanding of that one phrase.

Nor is it what Luther taught without additional solas. In order to prove Lutherans wrong, a person has to do more than take one phrase and condemn Lutheranism based on only a misunderstanding of that one phrase.
I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, I'm merely pointing out that sola scriptures is not biblical. Honestly I've never seen a good defense of it.

You can repeat yourself all you like it's meaningless until you tell me by what authority you have determined SS to be true.
This thread is old so maybe what follows has already been covered, if so then for good measure please reconsider the following:

The sinless one, the incarnate Lord, told those disputing with Him to search the Scriptures for they testify of Him. That is affirming Scripture as the authority in the matter. See John 5.

Just as telling is that the sinless one, the incarnate LORD, did not refer those disputing with Him to the Pharisees because they sit in Moses' seat. Obviously, the sinless one, the incarnate LORD, correctly understands Scripture and did not take Scripture out of context in order to foolishly and falsely give or imply that the Pharisees, or any other man, or would be successor to Moses, has any authority which even approached that of Scripture.

Do you want to stand before the Lord having believed, taught, and confessed His word or do you want to stand before Him having believed, taught, and confessed what those who do not have His word abiding in them have claimed?

Back