Is the date of Christ's return fixed from God's perspective?

squirrelyguy

In 2 Peter 3, we are told that 1) Christ's return is being delayed (v. 9), and that 2) we can do something to hasten it (v. 12). If it can be delayed and hastened, doesn't it follow that the date of Christ's return has not been fixed yet?

In 2 Peter 3, we are told that 1) Christ's return is being delayed (v. 9), and that 2) we can do something to hasten it (v. 12). If it can be delayed and hastened, doesn't it follow that the date of Christ's return has not been fixed yet?
Are you an open theist?

Mt 24: 36 “But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. NSRV

In Gods realm, it already happened.

Apparently our actions have some part in determining when Christ will return but God already knows when that will take place so from his point of view the time is already determined.

Only the Father knows. Whether he has already determined it or not, we do not know. But, one thing for certain is that his return will definitely be at the end of the world -- an extinction level event, just like the flood.

I think it's from the PoV of humans, as the whole chapter deals with what seems "delaying". In Daniel 10:20 Alexander the Great's arrival is called "soon" after Cyrus - that's a bit more apocalyptic. If you look at the Bible's contingents versus reality you see the same thing: the numerous threats against Israel by God compared with for example Malachi 3:6-7 where God tells the wicked Israelites He knows He won't destroy them because of the remnant (Mal. 3:16-18).

Think of it like this: Mercury spins around its axis very slowly. If you're on a spaceship that doesn't move, you'd see Mercury spin around its axis 3 times every 2 of its years (=1.5 days/year). But if you're on Mercury, the Sun would rise and set until it rose again only once every 2 of its years (=0.5days/year). The reference frame is always important. That's why from our point of view, Scripture says sometimes that "God was grieved and changed His mind," etc but in other places it says that He never changes His mind. If I take away video games from my child while he's misbehaving, knowing that he'll stop and I'll give them back, I'm only changing my mind from his point of view, and it's a real change, but not with respect to my own mind

Only the Father knows. Whether he has already determined it or not, we do not know. But, one thing for certain is that his return will definitely be at the end of the world -- an extinction level event, just like the flood.
What does he need to determine it? He has always been knowing all things. Is there something he still needs to figure out? ?️

Only the Father knows. Whether he has already determined it or not, we do not know.
I suspect Paul would disagree. His argument requires that foreknowledge be predestined. It's a logical necessity. So we do know that it must be determined if God already knows when it will be.

It’s noted in Acts 17:31 the day is “appointed” or “fixed”. It’s already a set, designated day. That means we’re moving closer to it, but that doesn’t mean God can’t delay or further it along the way. We’re the ones subject to the realm of time which is based on physical moving objects, He isn’t.

Back