Is the expression "I am" some title?

Lilel01

That's what some say since someone came up with that idea. I do not know exactly who or when a person with a lot of imagination could have invented something like that ... but it is true that the ball has rolled a lot and has come to occupy a place in the imagination of many believers.

Is there a valid biblical reason to think that "I am" is some title?

Yes, God came up with this. Depending on the context in the NT this could be a title such as John 8:48.

Other passages like John 8:24 should have the word "He" after "I am" to show that Jesus is talking about being the Messiah IMO.

"God said to Moses, “ I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘ I AM has sent me to you.’”"

(...)
"God said to Moses, “ I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel: ‘ I AM has sent me to you.’”"
Good point to start with.

Jehovah never said to Moses "I am who I am". That is only an English translation of a Hebrew expression.

Have you read any other translations of Exo. 3:14 in other biblical versions? Learn the importance of truly adhering to God's Word, and not just to an interpretation based on an individual way of translating. Scripture is not for private interpretation.

That's what some say since someone came up with that idea. I do not know exactly who or when a person with a lot of imagination could have invented something like that ... but it is true that the ball has rolled a lot and has come to occupy a place in the imagination of many believers.

Is there a valid biblical reason to think that "I am" is some title?
When someone asks you if you are going to the store, and you say 'I am', this is not a title. However, as soon as someone takes a response or statement like that and uses it as a means of identification, it can easily become a title. What we need to pay attention to here is the fact that regardless of how close identification is to identity; identification is not identity.

Moses asks God how he is to introduce the children of Israel as well as Pharaoh to the God who has given him the authority to release Israel from bondage in Egypt. Being or existence is then given a name or title.

In the Old Testament it is Potential (e.g. "I will be") while in the New it is Manifest (e.g. "I AM"). They are two sides of the same coin; an identical coin.

From God's perspective it is not a title, but the reality. In our search to identify God we must lose touch with reality, and pretend that it is possible to identify a name or title with our imaginary ideas as if our imaginary ideas actually exist.

God also told Moses that he was going to harden the heart of Pharaoh, and the name Moses was to give was what would cause Pharaoh's heart to harden...

Pharaoh: "Who is this god who is telling you to let your people go into the wilderness to worship?"

Moses: " I am".

Pharaoh: "You are?"

Moses: "No, I am". etc.

And now we know where Abbott and Costello got their inspiration for their "Who's On First" sketch.

If we all read the context of that event with Moses and Jehovah, we can see a little more about the meaning of that expression coming from Jehovah himself.

Exo. 3:11 However, Moses said to the true God: “Who am I that I should go to Pharʹaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” 12 To this he said: “I will prove to be with you, and this is the sign for you that it was I who sent you: After you have brought the people out of Egypt, you people will serve the true God on this mountain.”
13 But Moses said to the true God: “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What should I say to them?” 14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’” 15 Then God said once more to Moses:
“This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation. 16 Now go, and gather the elders of Israel and say to them, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers has appeared to me, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and he said: “I have certainly taken notice of you and of what is being done to you in Egypt. 17 So I say, I will take you away from affliction at the hands of the Egyptians to the land of the Caʹnaan·ites, the Hitʹtites, the Amʹor·ites, the Perʹiz·zites, the Hiʹvites, and the Jebʹu·sites, to a land flowing with milk and honey.”’
18 “They will certainly listen to your voice, and you will go, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt, and you men should say to him: ‘Jehovah the God of the Hebrews has communicated with us. So, please, let us make a three-day journey into the wilderness so that we may sacrifice to Jehovah our God.’ 19 But I myself well know that the king of Egypt will not give you permission to go unless a mighty hand compels him. 20 So I will have to stretch out my hand and strike Egypt with all my extraordinary acts that I will do in it, and after that he will send you out. 21 And I will give this people favor in the eyes of the Egyptians, and when you go, you will by no means go empty-handed. 22 Each woman must ask her neighbor and the woman lodging in her house for articles of silver and of gold as well as clothing, and you will put them on your sons and your daughters; and you will plunder the Egyptians.”
4:1 However, Moses answered: “But suppose they do not believe me and do not listen to my voice, for they will say, ‘Jehovah did not appear to you.’”

Is the expression “I Will Become” (in this version that I use) some kind of substitute for God's personal Name?

I found very interesting this event that Jeremiah tells us in his book of 1 Kings.

1 King 18:3 Meanwhile, Aʹhab called O·ba·diʹah, who was over the household. (Now O·ba·diʹah greatly feared Jehovah, 4 and when Jezʹe·bel was doing away with Jehovah’s prophets, O·ba·diʹah took 100 prophets and hid them 50 to a cave, and he supplied them with bread and water.) 5 Aʹhab then said to O·ba·diʹah: “Go through the land to all the springs of water and to all the valleys. Perhaps we can find enough grass to keep the horses and mules alive and not have all our animals die.” 6 So they divided between themselves the land they were going to pass through. Aʹhab went alone by one way, and O·ba·diʹah went alone by another way.
7 As O·ba·diʹah was on his way, E·liʹjah was there to meet him. At once he recognized him and fell facedown and said: “Is this you, my lord E·liʹjah?”

How did Elijah reply to Obadiah? How does the version that you personally use express it? Does it say "I am" in 1 Kings 18:8? Is that "I am" a tittle of Elijah?

Obadiah "greatly feared Jehovah" (1 Kings 18:3,4) and he called Elijah "my lord" ... Are you going to invent an "I am" for Elijah as you do in the case of Jesus?

Last edited:
If we all read the context of that event with Moses and Jehovah, we can see a little more about the meaning of that expression coming from Jehovah himself.

Exo. 3:11 However, Moses said to the true God: “Who am I that I should go to Pharʹaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” 12 To this he said: “I will prove to be with you, and this is the sign for you that it was I who sent you: After you have brought the people out of Egypt, you people will serve the true God on this mountain.”
13 But Moses said to the true God: “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What should I say to them?” 14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.” And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’” 15 Then God said once more to Moses:
“This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation. 16 Now go, and gather the elders of Israel and say to them, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers has appeared to me, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and he said: “I have certainly taken notice of you and of what is being done to you in Egypt. 17 So I say, I will take you away from affliction at the hands of the Egyptians to the land of the Caʹnaan·ites, the Hitʹtites, the Amʹor·ites, the Perʹiz·zites, the Hiʹvites, and the Jebʹu·sites, to a land flowing with milk and honey.”’
18 “They will certainly listen to your voice, and you will go, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt, and you men should say to him: ‘Jehovah the God of the Hebrews has communicated with us. So, please, let us make a three-day journey into the wilderness so that we may sacrifice to Jehovah our God.’ 19 But I myself well know that the king of Egypt will not give you permission to go unless a mighty hand compels him. 20 So I will have to stretch out my hand and strike Egypt with all my extraordinary acts that I will do in it, and after that he will send you out. 21 And I will give this people favor in the eyes of the Egyptians, and when you go, you will by no means go empty-handed. 22 Each woman must ask her neighbor and the woman lodging in her house for articles of silver and of gold as well as clothing, and you will put them on your sons and your daughters; and you will plunder the Egyptians.”

4:1 However, Moses answered: “But suppose they do not believe me and do not listen to my voice, for they will say, ‘Jehovah did not appear to you.’”
Is the expression “I Will Become” (in this version that I use) some kind of substitute for God's personal Name?
How did the native Hebrew speaking scholars who translated the 225 BC Septuagint [LXX] translate
אהיה אשׁר אהיה ? They translated it Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν, "I am the being." The native Hebrew speaking scholars who translated the 1917 JPS translated it as "I am that I am."
Interestingly the term ὁ ὤν, occurs in John 1:18.

LXX John 1:18

18 θεον ουδεις εωρακεν πωποτε ο μονογενης υιος ο ων εις τον κολπον του πατρος εκεινος εξηγησατο
ο μονογενης υιος ο ων εις τον κολπον του πατρος Literally "The unique son the being in the bosom of the father."

Last edited:
I found very interesting this event that Jeremiah tells us in his book of 1 Kings.
1 King 18:3 Meanwhile, Aʹhab called O·ba·diʹah, who was over the household. (Now O·ba·diʹah greatly feared Jehovah, 4 and when Jezʹe·bel was doing away with Jehovah’s prophets, O·ba·diʹah took 100 prophets and hid them 50 to a cave, and he supplied them with bread and water.) 5 Aʹhab then said to O·ba·diʹah: “Go through the land to all the springs of water and to all the valleys. Perhaps we can find enough grass to keep the horses and mules alive and not have all our animals die.” 6 So they divided between themselves the land they were going to pass through. Aʹhab went alone by one way, and O·ba·diʹah went alone by another way.
7 As O·ba·diʹah was on his way, E·liʹjah was there to meet him. At once he recognized him and fell facedown and said: “Is this you, my lord E·liʹjah?”
How did Elijah reply to Obadiah? How does the version that you personally use express it? Does it say "I am" in 1 Kings 18:8? Is that "I am" a tittle of Elijah?
Obadiah "greatly feared Jehovah" (1 Kings 18:3,4) and he called Elijah "my lord" ... Are you going to invent an "I am" for Elijah as you do in the case of Jesus?
Except for the fact that אהיה אשׁר אהיה does not occur in 1 King. but εγω ειμι/ego eimi/I am does occur in John 8:58 So as you can clearly see "I am" was not invented in Jn 8:58

Yes, God came up with this. Depending on the context in the NT this could be a title such as John 8:48.

Other passages like John 8:24 should have the word "He" after "I am" to show that Jesus is talking about being the Messiah IMO.

In John 8:24, 28, 58 Jesus is bolding claiming to be God and the Jewish listeners knew it.

εγω ειμι (Greek in NT) IS NOT a translation of אהיה אשׁר אהיה (MT) or an equivalent of Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν (Greek LXX).

There is NOT such tittle "I AM" out of your imagination.

Some even add adjectives to that fictitious title. "The Great I AM" they say. What is very great is the excess of imagination that they have.

I have thought a lot about the imagination believers have when they are impressed by an idea that seems great, but was just a figment of someone's imagination. Apparently the inventor of that supposed title intended to compare Jehovah God with his Son Jesus Christ assuming that the Bible calls them by a supposed same title.

It is not necessary to invent doctrines about titles to know that Jesus is a very important representative of Jehovah and that his Father has given him much power and authority. However, there are things that do not belong to Jesus and never will, because there are things that Jehovah does not share with any of his Sons, not even with his firstborn, and Jesus knows it.

Acts 1:7 He said to them: “It does not belong to you to know the times or seasons that the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction."

εγω ειμι (Greek in NT) IS NOT a translation of אהיה אשׁר אהיה (MT) or an equivalent of Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν (Greek LXX).
"Tittle" should be "title."
I appreciate you sharing your false, unsupported opinion of the meaning of
אהיה אשׁר אהיה (MT) and Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν
I quoted Jewish translations.

There is not any TITLE "I am" in the Scriptures. Of course, a fantasy that some people become obsessed with is very difficult to abandon.

May God that people who seek the truth understand that in order to worship God they cannot be obsessed with human inventions that distort biblical reality.

Some even add adjectives to that fictitious title. "The Great I AM" they say. What is very great is the excess of imagination that they have.

I have thought a lot about the imagination believers have when they are impressed by an idea that seems great, but was just a figment of someone's imagination. Apparently the inventor of that supposed title intended to compare Jehovah God with his Son Jesus Christ assuming that the Bible calls them by a supposed same title.

It is not necessary to invent doctrines about titles to know that Jesus is a very important representative of Jehovah and that his Father has given him much power and authority. However, there are things that do not belong to Jesus and never will, because there are things that Jehovah does not share with any of his Sons, not even with his firstborn, and Jesus knows it.

Acts 1:7 He said to them: “It does not belong to you to know the times or seasons that the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction."
Jesus Christ is The SON of The Father, NOT His representative.
ALL things The Father has ARE The Son's.

So, I hope you understand that there is not such thing as such "I AM" anywhere in the Bible. (y)

Your false unsupported opinion and the false unsupported opinions of your teachers/leaders are meaningless.
"there are things that Jehovah does not share with any of his Sons, not even with his firstborn, and Jesus knows it."​
Does "all" mean "all" or does it mean only part of "all?" Maybe you should try reading the entire Bible.
John 16:15
15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you."
John 17:10
10 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.​

It seems that some people here like disqualifying adjectives ... or maybe they are chatbots programmed to disqualify other forum members who post information that they dislike. That's ugly!

What does the Scripture say about Jesus and Jehovah? It says:

1 Cor. 15:27 For God “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him.

It is obvious that when some people are obsessed with an idea and their attitude is arrogant and aggressive towards other people who want to help them, they cannot even see what Scripture calls EVIDENT.

Since my participation in this forum is not to feed trolls or to stimulate the aggressiveness of some "Christians", I am withdrawing until a more productive moment. Have a great day.

So, I hope you understand that there is not such thing as such "I AM" anywhere in the Bible. (y)
Still spreading the same nonsense.
Who better than the native Hebrew speaking Jewish scholars who translated the 1917 Jewish Publication Society [JPS] translation of what they call the T'nakh and we call the OT.
JPS Exodus 3:14
14 And God said unto Moses: 'I AM THAT I AM'; and He said: 'Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel: I AM hath sent me unto you.'​
I suggest you find yourself some truthful teachers and leaders. Instead of those who only tickle your ears.

* * * What does the Scripture say about Jesus and Jehovah? It says:
1 Cor. 15:27 For God “subjected all things under his feet.” But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him. * * *
Unlike you I have read the entire Bible not just a handful of out-of-context proof texts.
NIV Philippians 2:5-11
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!​
Everything that heterodox groups and their adherents can't understand happened between vs. 8 and 9. Such as "Well, if Jesus was God why didn't He do such and such, or know such and such etc?'
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.​
Vs. 9 is the fulfillment of John 17:5
John 17:5
5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.​

Back