Is the Sacrifice of the Mass Performance in the RCC, the Same as the Sacrifice of the Cross?

RayneBeau

Why are either of these rituals performed on a continuous basis in the Roman Catholic Church?

nan

The Sacrifice of the Mass contains no blood. As such, it cannot be the SAME as Calvary.

There are several reasons for this pagan sacrifice of the Mass, most notably their profound ignorance of scripture.

Bob Carabbio

Why are either of these rituals performed on a continuous basis in the Roman Catholic Church?
Because they're "RITUALS"!!! That's what a "Ritual" IS!!! A "Ritual", by definition, is something that one does Over and Over with regularity.

"Is the Sacrifice of the Mass Performance in the RCC, the Same as the Sacrifice of the Cross?"​

Of course not!!! It's nothing but just another "Roman Catholic RITUAL" - Spiritually it has no significance. It's just something they do because of their Distorted concept of Christianity.

RayneBeau

Because they're "RITUALS"!!! That's what a "Ritual" IS!!! A "Ritual", by definition, is something that one does Over and Over with regularity.

"Is the Sacrifice of the Mass Performance in the RCC, the Same as the Sacrifice of the Cross?"​

Of course not!!! It's nothing but just another "Roman Catholic RITUAL" - Spiritually it has no significance. It's just something they do because of their Distorted concept of Christianity.
Yet, according to the Council of Trent, the RCC proclaims that : "If any one saith, that in the Mass, a true and proper sacrifice is not offered to God; or, that to be offered is nothing else but that Christ is given us to eat; let him be damned."
And apparently these RCC's views became formalized as dogma by the Council of Trent regarding the Sacrifice of the Mass, and this Roman Catholic teaching and excommunication curse, is still in force today.

Bonnie

Years ago, a Catholic who is no longer on here told me that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross only covered those people who were alive at the time of His crucifixion. He said that is why Catholics have Communion so much, to apply Jesus' sacrifice in Communion to those alive since the first century. Another Catholic told me that Communion sort of taps into the actual crucifixion centuries ago, in a sort of time travel. I thought both explanations sounded...wrong, to say the least.

My church believes that the Lord's Supper is a sacrament, not a sacrifice. We believe in the Real Presence of Jesus' body and blood in, with, and under the bread and wine, while the Elements still remain bread and wine. We do not attempt to explain it, but consider it a joyful mystery. But we do we believe it is an actual sacrifice, that Communion somehow taps into the original crucifixion, or that Jesus' actual sacrifice of Himself on Calvary's cross only covered those alive at the time. We believe that Jesus' once for all time sacrifice of Himself on the cross covers everyone for all time. It was a once-for-all-time happening, never to be repeated. Hebrews 1 says that Jesus "having made purification" sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high (paraphrased). "Made purification" is past tense. It is a done deal. Never to be repeated.

Mike McK

Years ago, a Catholic who is no longer on here told me that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross only covered those people who were alive at the time of His crucifixion. He said that is why Catholics have Communion so much, to apply Jesus' sacrifice in Communion to those alive since the first century. Another Catholic told me that Communion sort of taps into the actual crucifixion centuries ago, in a sort of time travel. I thought both explanations sounded...wrong, to say the least.

My church believes that the Lord's Supper is a sacrament, not a sacrifice. We believe in the Real Presence of Jesus' body and blood in, with, and under the bread and wine, while the Elements still remain bread and wine. We do not attempt to explain it, but consider it a joyful mystery. But we do we believe it is an actual sacrifice, that Communion somehow taps into the original crucifixion, or that Jesus' actual sacrifice of Himself on Calvary's cross only covered those alive at the time. We believe that Jesus' once for all time sacrifice of Himself on the cross covers everyone for all time. It was a once-for-all-time happening, never to be repeated. Hebrews 1 says that Jesus "having made purification" sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high (paraphrased). "Made purification" is past tense. It is a done deal. Never to be repeated.
Do you have any Biblical support for this?

Bonnie

Support for what, that I wrote? I wrote several different things. But we would need to discuss this on the Lutheran board. My post was in response to the OP and what a couple of Catholics wrote on here, years ago, between 2004-2008.

Nondenom40

Its not the same as the cross. This is more smoke and mirrors. There is absolutely nothing in common between the actual sacrifice of Jesus on the cross and a priest holding up a piece of bread. Catholics have to convince themselves that it is the same. Self delusion at its best.

RayneBeau

Jesus asked us to perform the ritual in Memoriam at the Last Supper.
From what the authoritative sources in RCC theology say, the Roman Catholic Mass is in actuality far more than Jesus asking His disciples to perform a "ritual in Memoriam at the Last Supper" - the Roman Catholic Mass is a sacrifice.

Nondenom40

From what the authoritative sources in RCC theology say, the Roman Catholic Mass is in actuality far more than Jesus asking His disciples to perform a "ritual in Memoriam at the Last Supper" - the Roman Catholic Mass is a sacrifice.
Yes, and a propitiatory sacrifice where the risen Christ is eaten.

Bonnie

Sorr

Sorry, that should have been "we do NOT believe it is an actual sacrifice." Fat fingers this morning!

RayneBeau

Yes, and a propitiatory sacrifice where the risen Christ is eaten.
Yes! Excellent point! The Roman Catholic Church teaches that the Mass is a continuation of the sacrifice of the Cross and that it is propitiatory and absolutely necessary for salvation.

RayneBeau

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that the mass is the same sacrifice as Calvary, except that now it is unbloody, as Nan pointed out earlier, and because it is the same sacrifice as that of Calvary, the RCC teaches and believes that it is expiatory for sins. Logically speaking though, regardless of what the RCC states, how can the Mass be the "same sacrifice as Calvary, except that now it is unbloody"? How can it be the SAME, "except for" - the words "except for" emphatically changes the whole fact of the matter that the mass "is the same sacrifice as Calvary- it' is NOT, and therefore it cannot, be the SAME.

Nondenom40

The Roman Catholic Church teaches that the mass is the same sacrifice as Calvary, except that now it is unbloody, as Nan pointed out earlier, and because it is the same sacrifice as that of Calvary, the RCC teaches and believes that it is expiatory for sins. Logically speaking though, regardless of what the RCC states, how can the Mass be the "same sacrifice as Calvary, except that now it is unbloody"? How can it be the SAME, "except for" - the words "except for" emphatically changes the whole fact of the matter that the mass "is the same sacrifice as Calvary- it' is NOT, and therefore it cannot, be the SAME.
They blind their followers. Nothing is logical about catholicism. They lie right to your face, as you just demonstrated and smile and say 'believe me.' They could hold up an apple and say it's a coconut and they'd believe them.

nan

Jesus asked us to perform the ritual in Memoriam at the Last Supper.
Jesus asked that when we participate in the Lord's supper we remember what He was about to do for our redemption. There was no sacrifice at the Last Supper nor was there any blood.