Is the son of God the same as God the son?

cawalls

I found 48 references in scripture describing in various ways who and what the son of God is.

I found 0 references in scripture describing in various ways who and what God the son is.

I choose the 48 references, which do you choose?

God bless

jamesh

First of all welcome to CARM. Now, there are some people in Scripture that do identify the Son as God. For instance, Thomas came to that conclusion at John 20:28 when he declared to Jesus Christ Himself literally, "The Lord of me and the God of me." Can you please tell me why his declaration does not mean that Jesus Christ is not God the Son?

Or how about the Apostle Peter at 2 Peter 1:1, "Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ." Or the Apostle Paul at Titus 2:13, "looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

And these are just for starters. I could bring up other verses and other points that prove Jesus Christ is identified as God, (like at John 1:1 and Philippians 2:5-8), first let's see how you will handle these?

In God the Son,
herman

Tanachreader

First of all welcome to CARM. Now, there are some people in Scripture that do identify the Son as God. For instance, Thomas came to that conclusion at John 20:28 when he declared to Jesus Christ Himself literally, "The Lord of me and the God of me." Can you please tell me why his declaration does not mean that Jesus Christ is not God the Son?

Or how about the Apostle Peter at 2 Peter 1:1, "Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ." Or the Apostle Paul at Titus 2:13, "looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus."

And these are just for starters. I could bring up other verses and other points that prove Jesus Christ is identified as God, (like at John 1:1 and Philippians 2:5-8), first let's see how you will handle these?

In God the Son,
herman
There is also Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

cawalls

In God the Son,
herman
Thanks kindly for the welcome. You misunderstand, I know Jesus is God. He is referenced about 48 times as the son of God and zero times as God the son. The only references for God the son are extra-Biblical.

God bless

jamesh

Ok cawalls, I understand what your getting at. Jesus Christ did not use or say the exact words, "I am God." If He had said those exact words then the Jews would automatically, (and rightfully so) assume there is more than one God. I want you to notice something at Matthew 16:13-17 where Jesus ask His disciples, "Who do the people say the Son of Man is?"

Also, there was a reason why Jesus Himself referred to Himself the "The Son of Man" and "The Son of God." He's the "Son of Man" on His mothers side, Mary which makes Him human. He's the "Son of God" on His Fathers side which makes Him deity. This explains why Jesus is the only one that has two natures. Plus the fact that it is a universal law that a son shares the same nature as its father.

Another way to come to the conclusion that Jesus is God is by "deductive" reasoning. In logic this is the process of reasoning from one or more statements to reach a logical conclusion. Remember I gave what Thomas stated and others about who is Jesus Christ. I think you can figure out where I'm going with this.

Or to put it another way. "To say the Father is God, is equal to saying "God the Father." In like manner to say "the Son is God," is equal to saying "God the Son." Our you beginning to get a clearer picture about this? There is also another way to go about this.

The Bible identifies God by,

1) His names
2) His titles
3) His unique attributes
4) His unique actions
5) His worship.

Explaining the nature of the one God is the whole point of the doctrine of the trinity. That is its goal and, at least within the limits of our puny human minds to comprehend the eternal, that is what it does. So let me go through a couple of these points to understand what I'm getting at.

Who is called by the NAMES of God (YHWH and its variants) either directly or indirectly.....usually both.

Who is recognized with the TITLES of God? For example, (Lord, king, savior, redeemer etc.) God says He's the Redeemer at Isaiah 44:24, "Thus says the Lord your Redeemer." Jesus Christ is identified as the Savior at Luke 2:11, "for today in the city of David there has been born for you, a SAVIOR, who IS Christ the Lord."

God is identified as the "first and last" and so is Jesus at Revelation 1:17. Now, I could go on with this but at least I hope you get the idea and as you study the Bible you will begin to notice these things. Hope this helps and if you have any questions I will be more than happy to address them.

In God the Son,
herman

Our Lord's God

I found 48 references in scripture describing in various ways who and what the son of God is.

I found 0 references in scripture describing in various ways who and what God the son is.

I choose the 48 references, which do you choose?

God bless

See if you can find God the son of God, and his God, God the son of God's God.

Then there's Hebrews 1:8-9 where God the son of God's God rewarded God the son of God for good behavior and God the Son of God's God did this by anointing God the son of God to be above God the Son of God's peers.

God the Son of God needed to be rewarded for good behavior because God the Son of God came down from heaven through outer space to planet earth having been sent by God the Son of God's God not to do God the Son of God's will but God the son of God's God's will. John 6:38

Quite the contraption they have there. But you are supposed to pretend it is not only plausible but intellectually insightful. They like to pretend.

Last edited:

cawalls

Same MEANING.

Then there's Hebrews 1:8-9 where God the son of God's God rewarded God the son of God for good behavior and God the Son of God's God did this by anointing God the son of God to be above God the Son of God's peers.

God the Son of God needed to be rewarded for good behavior because God the Son of God came down from heaven through outer space to planet earth having been sent by God the Son of God's God not to do God the Son of God's will but God the son of God's God's will. John 6:38

Quite the contraption they have there. But you are supposed to pretend it is not only plausible but intellectually insightful. They like to pretend.
That was nonsense

Tanachreader

Absolute nonsense, you need to seek the Kingdom of God not the corners of your brain.

johnny guitar

I can certainly find considerable strawmen in your post.