is the teaching of Calvinism the real offence of the Gospel?

praise_yeshua

The answer to the charge that Calvinism is offensive to the sinner, is answered by the Calvinist as "so what. The Gospel is offensive"......

Well. There is ONE HUGE problem with this. The REAL offense of the Gospel isn't Calvinism nor their teaching of the Elect. The REAL offense of the Gospel is Jesus Christ.

Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

The real offence is Jesus Christ. Not Calvinism.

Which reminds me of how the Calvinist see themselves as being God's choice instead of Jesus Christ. Seems like there a central "theme" to Calvinism. The message of Jesus Christ being replaced by self.

eternomade

I think the reason people see the gospel as offensive is because they are not saved. Self righteousness can make someone very offended.

ReverendRV

Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

The real offence is Jesus Christ. Not Calvinism.

Which reminds me of how the Calvinist see themselves as being God's choice instead of Jesus Christ. Seems like there a central "theme" to Calvinism. The message of Jesus Christ being replaced by self.
Why do you say in the other Thread that Calvinism is offensive then?

praise_yeshua

I think the reason people see the gospel as offensive is because they are not saved. Self righteousness can make someone very offended.

There are plenty of people throwing in their "hat" along with us and saying "I'm going with you. I'm just going to trust Him too".

Heb 11:12 Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born descendants as many as the stars of heaven and as many as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.

The poor are attracted to the message of the Gospel. The weak are attracted to the message of the Gospel.

ReverendRV

The Calvinist claims the offense from Jesus Christ. They have replaced Jesus Christ with their message.
How does a Calvinist replace Jesus with Calvinism? Are you saying one Offense replaces the other Offense, because there can only be one Offense?

It looks like you Edited to remove your last sentence...

praise_yeshua

Who are these people?

Do you believe

Heb 11:12 Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born descendants as many as the stars of heaven and as many as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.

Unnamed expect in the ONLY name worth mentioning... Jesus Christ. Innumerable as the stars of heaven and the sand of the sea.

If it is attractive by these means, then why are Calvinist tell them they can't have it?

eternomade

Do you believe

Unnamed expect in the ONLY name worth mentioning... Jesus Christ. Innumerable as the stars of heaven and the sand of the sea.
Yes.
If it is attractive by these means, then why are Calvinist tell them they can't have it?
Who is telling them they cant have it? We are told to make diciples. We dont know who the elect are so we share like everyone is elect.

We dont water down the gospel in order to make it more appetizing.

Slyzr

Yes.

Who is telling them they cant have it? We are told to make diciples. We dont know who the elect are so we share like everyone is elect.

We dont water down the gospel in order to make it more appetizing.

bro ..... just admit .....

Jesus did not directly tell you to make disciples.

Those are words written in a book.

Which were supposedly spoken to some one else.

You can't just claim it as you.

I mean you can claim it if you want .... but that does not then mean you are right.

ReverendRV

bro ..... just admit .....

Jesus did not directly tell you to make disciples.

Those are words written in a book.

Which were supposedly spoken to some one else.

You can't just claim it as you.

I mean you can claim it if you want .... but that does not then mean you are right.
Did Jesus directly tell you that you're a Sinner?