is the world as you see it really the only way things are?

SteveB

There's an idea in psychology, which also has a development of thought in philosophy known as solipsism.
From Mirriam Webster
: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing also : extreme egocentrism

Solipsism and the Problem of Other Minds​

Solipsism is sometimes expressed as the view that “I am the only mind which exists,” or “My mental states are the only mental states.” However, the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust might truly come to believe in either of these propositions without thereby being a solipsist. Solipsism is therefore more properly regarded as the doctrine that, in principle, “existence” means for me my existence and that of my mental states. Existence is everything that I experience — physical objects, other people, events and processes — anything that would commonly be regarded as a constituent of the space and time in which I coexist with others and is necessarily construed by me as part of the content of my consciousness. For the solipsist, it is not merely the case that he believes that his thoughts, experiences, and emotions are, as a matter of contingent fact, the only thoughts, experiences, and emotions. Rather, the solipsist can attach no meaning to the supposition that there could be thoughts, experiences, and emotions other than his own. In short, the true solipsist understands the word “pain,” for example, to mean “my pain.” He cannot accordingly conceive how this word is to be applied in any sense other than this exclusively egocentric one.

I think a perfect example of solipsism here on this forum is the inability of atheists to realize that others have a worldview which differs from theirs, and that our way of observing reality has absolutely nothing to do with them, or their views.....
Thus, their most commonly used phrase is-- strawmanning-- to accuse the other person of misrepresenting them.
Where I come from, this is a form of solipsism, which means that there can be no other views, than that of the atheist mindset.

Nouveau

So you don't understand solipsism or atheism.

Solipsism is the view that one's own mental experience is all that exists, i.e. it is a denial of both the external world and of other minds. It has nothing to do with intolerance of different mindsets.

Atheism is the absence of belief in any god, and also has nothing to do with intolerance of different mindsets.

You are regularly accused of strawmanning because that is what you do. You are of course free to have your own opinions, but that does not entitle you to make blatantly false claims about what others have said to you.

Bob Carabbio

So you don't understand solipsism or atheism.

Solipsism is the view that one's own mental experience is all that exists, i.e. it is a denial of both the external world and of other minds. It has nothing to do with intolerance of different mindsets.

Atheism is the absence of belief in any god, and also has nothing to do with intolerance of different mindsets.

You are regularly accused of strawmanning because that is what you do. You are of course free to have your own opinions, but that does not entitle you to make blatantly false claims about what others have said to you.
But in the Final analysis, Since there IS a God, and He DOES have specific requirements for humans, then what "Atheists"/"Agnostics"/whomever think, believe, or strongly support, doesn't mean SPIT. The "Wisdom of FOOLS" is unimportant.

e v e

There's an idea in psychology, which also has a development of thought in philosophy known as solipsism.
From Mirriam Webster
: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing also : extreme egocentrism

Solipsism and the Problem of Other Minds​

Solipsism is sometimes expressed as the view that “I am the only mind which exists,” or “My mental states are the only mental states.” However, the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust might truly come to believe in either of these propositions without thereby being a solipsist. Solipsism is therefore more properly regarded as the doctrine that, in principle, “existence” means for me my existence and that of my mental states. Existence is everything that I experience — physical objects, other people, events and processes — anything that would commonly be regarded as a constituent of the space and time in which I coexist with others and is necessarily construed by me as part of the content of my consciousness. For the solipsist, it is not merely the case that he believes that his thoughts, experiences, and emotions are, as a matter of contingent fact, the only thoughts, experiences, and emotions. Rather, the solipsist can attach no meaning to the supposition that there could be thoughts, experiences, and emotions other than his own. In short, the true solipsist understands the word “pain,” for example, to mean “my pain.” He cannot accordingly conceive how this word is to be applied in any sense other than this exclusively egocentric one.

I think a perfect example of solipsism here on this forum is the inability of atheists to realize that others have a worldview which differs from theirs, and that our way of observing reality has absolutely nothing to do with them, or their views.....
Thus, their most commonly used phrase is-- strawmanning-- to accuse the other person of misrepresenting them.
Where I come from, this is a form of solipsism, which means that there can be no other views, than that of the atheist mindset.
the "I" or carnal self is like that...but sad, most people equate the "I" or self to the soul, though it's not the same thing.

the self gives the soul her reality..or else God does.