is the world as you see it really the only way things are?

Nouveau

And yet you ignore the points you don't like.
And I'm sure you have examples ready, right? I mean, you wouldn't just throw an accusation like this out there with zero support, right?

You seem to be taking a long time drafting that apology too...

Tercon

I've never seen such a poor understanding of what solipism is.

I'd say I've never seen such a poor understanding of what atheism is, too, except on this forum I've seen some very poor understandings indeed of what atheism.
Yeah, it's just Steve looking for a new way of blaming anyone but himself for his inability to respond to others without misrepresenting them.
we have never seen such a poor understanding of the truth and reality, atheist think their atheism exists in reality, when in reality it is only beliefs that can be known to exist you sillies.

Electric Skeptic

we have never seen such a poor understanding of the truth and reality, atheist think their atheism exists in reality, when in reality it is only beliefs that can be known to exist you sillies.
Completely irrelevant to the thread. Try to stay on topic.

SteveB

Blatantly and obviously false. Atheism is poorly understood by SOME because they have no interest whatsoever in learning about it; they just want to attack it and atheism.

There is no "pre-approved list", nor can you find any question that atheists "resent" answering.

The fact that you baselessly imagine that I don't understand solipism isn't a problem for me at all.
I've love to believe this, but after well over a decade of asking questions, here, and elsewhere, it's become quite clear that there are numerous atheists who explicitly DO NOT WANT their atheism understood.
Since you guys remained silent while they explicitly refused to answer questions, and then kept telling me my questions weren't legitimate questions, it's become clear to me that your silence was consent to their refusal in answering questions.

Sadly, all those questions were lost, and since questions are based on the content of discussion, unless, and until such conversation takes place again, those questions are lost to history, and will not be asked again by me.
What amuses me is that you are ranting about this, but the nature of this kind of discussion is lost on you.
It's a pity you remained silent while your fellows maligned me for asking questions, and kept telling me I wasn't really interested in understanding atheism.
So, if you want to rail--- take up your railings with your fellow atheists.

SteveB

You are the one trying to pretend that someone else is though.
Alas for you, the strawman you create is far too obvious. Nobody buys it.
Why would I need to pretend?
The strawman you create is so old, I've long since ceased buying it. Why do you think it's taken 4 days to get back to you on this post of yours?

SteveB

So I have to wonder how the people "where [you] come from" managed to come up with such odd ideas.
I've been wondering this about atheists for at least 13 years now.
Their inability to make a choice being the most odd in my book. It would appear that as long as someone says they cannot make a choice, they're excluded from the consequences of not making a choice. Sadly, the consequences are far more dire than seems recognizable in their book.

We are told----

Cowards and unbelievers will have their part in the lake of fire. Revelation 21:8.

By no means a popular idea, I agree! However, since even Jesus taught that escaping judgment was a reason God accepts for repentance and faith, I'm wondering.....
Why on earth would you not take the time to learn the truth by coming to Jesus?

SteveB

How much effort does it really take to understand "there is no god"? That is literally all there is to atheism. If you think that that is poorly understood, that just reflects your own ability to comprehend.
And what part of---- that is your belief, and a belief that you are having a difficult time understanding?
The bible is really clear about this---- those who say there is no God are fools.

But, for what it's worth, I fully understand that your belief that there is no God, is in fact--- your belief.
It's based entirely on a lack of experience, a lack of understanding, and a closure of the mind, resulting in the darkening of your heart, resulting in deliberate, and willful ignorance.

Which is pretty much what Romans 1, and Ephesians 4 state.

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man​

I'd say this sums up atheism quite well.
You've chosen to reject the insight, and understanding that God does exist, so you've closed your mind.
This closing of the mind, results in a darkening of the heart, which further exacerbates the issue, resulting in your developing all kinds of foolish, and futile ideas, based on that darkness of the heart. And the greater the futility of the thoughts, the increased sense of self-importance results in a totally foolish mentality, and it just gets worse from there.

We get it! God has saved most of us from that state of being. So, you're not talking to the uninitiated.

In Ephesians 4

17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of[fn] the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; 19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.​
20 But you have not so learned Christ, 21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.​

Jesus saved those of us who thought we knew better, and were in fact ignorant.

SteveB

You have a gift for getting everything wrong.
Solipsism is the trick creationists use to try to get non-creationists to deny observable reality.
solipsism has nothing to do with creationism.
It has everything to do with the ego of the practitioners.

Nouveau

I've love to believe this, but after well over a decade of asking questions, here, and elsewhere, it's become quite clear that there are numerous atheists who explicitly DO NOT WANT their atheism understood.
Since you guys remained silent while they explicitly refused to answer questions, and then kept telling me my questions weren't legitimate questions, it's become clear to me that your silence was consent to their refusal in answering questions.

Sadly, all those questions were lost, and since questions are based on the content of discussion, unless, and until such conversation takes place again, those questions are lost to history, and will not be asked again by me.
What amuses me is that you are ranting about this, but the nature of this kind of discussion is lost on you.
It's a pity you remained silent while your fellows maligned me for asking questions, and kept telling me I wasn't really interested in understanding atheism.
Sadly your story of past atheists refusing to answer your questions is a complete fabrication, and one used merely to excuse your own present evasion.

Electric Skeptic

That is more blatant falsehood.
Since you guys remained silent while they explicitly refused to answer questions,
This occurred only in your mind.
and then kept telling me my questions weren't legitimate questions, it's become clear to me that your silence was consent to their refusal in answering questions.
Again, only in your mind.
How convenient for you! You're not able to ask them again and get the clear answer you claim nobody ever gave you.
You have zero idea what is and isn't lost on me.
It's a pity you remained silent while your fellows maligned me for asking questions,
Nobody maligned you for asking questions.
and kept telling me I wasn't really interested in understanding atheism.
You aren't. That's obvious.
No, I'll take them up with you, the one who keeps making false claims and whining about atheists while he deceitfully throws out strawman after nonsense.

Mr Laurier

your refusal to come follow Jesus because priests abused you.
Why is Jesus to blame for their sin?
Are you to blame for my sin?
You are caught in a lie.
Because Jesus is obviously NOT to blame for ANY "sin".
Of course not. Try to not be absurd.

So what strawman have I created?

Komodo

I've been wondering this about atheists for at least 13 years now.
Their inability to make a choice being the most odd in my book.[.. .]
Recap:
1) Steve quotes something about solipsism, then says this is exactly what atheists do.
2) I reply that what he charges atheists with doing is not only not “solipsism“ as the quote defines it, it is entirely incompatible with that kind of solipsism, and I offer specific reasons why.
3) Steve shows no sign whatsoever of having even read my reply, let alone acknowledging it, let double alone actually attempting to address my criticism of his claim.
4) Instead he says something about atheists’ “inability to make a choice,” an entirely vague and unsupported accusation which has precisely nothing to do with the topic he started or the post he’s ”responding” to.

This is just Steve being perfectly Stevian, of course. I guess it’s hopeless to expect anything else.

The Pixie

your refusal to come follow Jesus because priests abused you.
Why is Jesus to blame for their sin?
Are you to blame for my sin?
Good point. It is not like he is all-powerful and could intervene to stop it.

He is just a figment of your imagination, after all.

SteveB

Why not address the point, Steve?

Your God is supposedly all-powerful. Why did he choose not to stop the abuse of priests?
I did address the points in my op.

Perhaps you should stop trying to win an argument, and take the time to learn to understand what I stated.