is the world as you see it really the only way things are?

Tiburon

There's an idea in psychology, which also has a development of thought in philosophy known as solipsism.
From Mirriam Webster
: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing also : extreme egocentrism

Solipsism and the Problem of Other Minds​

Solipsism is sometimes expressed as the view that “I am the only mind which exists,” or “My mental states are the only mental states.” However, the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust might truly come to believe in either of these propositions without thereby being a solipsist. Solipsism is therefore more properly regarded as the doctrine that, in principle, “existence” means for me my existence and that of my mental states. Existence is everything that I experience — physical objects, other people, events and processes — anything that would commonly be regarded as a constituent of the space and time in which I coexist with others and is necessarily construed by me as part of the content of my consciousness. For the solipsist, it is not merely the case that he believes that his thoughts, experiences, and emotions are, as a matter of contingent fact, the only thoughts, experiences, and emotions. Rather, the solipsist can attach no meaning to the supposition that there could be thoughts, experiences, and emotions other than his own. In short, the true solipsist understands the word “pain,” for example, to mean “my pain.” He cannot accordingly conceive how this word is to be applied in any sense other than this exclusively egocentric one.

I think a perfect example of solipsism here on this forum is the inability of atheists to realize that others have a worldview which differs from theirs, and that our way of observing reality has absolutely nothing to do with them, or their views.....
Thus, their most commonly used phrase is-- strawmanning-- to accuse the other person of misrepresenting them.
Where I come from, this is a form of solipsism, which means that there can be no other views, than that of the atheist mindset.
Atheist understand that others have a worldview which differs from theirs. They just might not always agree with that view or the means by which it was arrived at.
Your straw manning is a form of solipsism. Thus you are always telling Atheists what they think. You cannot seem to grasp that others think in a way different to you.

SteveB

Atheist understand that others have a worldview which differs from theirs. They just might not always agree with that view or the means by which it was arrived at.
Your straw manning is a form of solipsism. Thus you are always telling Atheists what they think. You cannot seem to grasp that others think in a way different to you.
My "telling atheists what they think" are the observations I make of their statements.
So..... if you don't want to be told what you're thinking from someone else's perspective, you should simply stop talking.
I realize that doesn't make sense to you, but this is part of conversation.

Some people will preface their comments along these lines with----

Well, as I'm understanding what you're saying, I see your comments stating----- .................................................................

After 20 years, I've simply dropped that preface. Partly because I grew weary of people complaining my posts were too tedious to read.

So..... when I state---
you're just saying......

see that preface above included.

I do have to say.... I'm surprised you didn't understand that.

SteveB

Except that that's simply false.
Nope..... Well..... actually.... in the mind of the atheist, you are right.
but in reality, it's not false at all.
For example, cite an atheist saying that atheists alone are right, which is a frequent claim of yours.

We know you cannot.
You just did by telling me that's simply false.
Do you guys ever really think about what you're saying, and the plainly observable status you provide?

Nouveau

Steve refuses to learn the difference between an honest observation and a dishonest strawman.

SteveB

Nothing but carefully reasoned explanations and evidence.
but you never do. You've offered not one "carefully reasoned explanation" or evidence.
You have, quite frequently, made unsupported statements, claiming that you have reasons to believe what you do regarding me, but not once have you actually provided a "carefully reasoned explanation" nor evidence.

Will you ever cease trying to pass off your absurd strawmanning as mere 'observations'?
When you actually provide "carefully reasoned explanation" and evidence, that are real..... I'll consider it, sure.

Nouveau

but you never do. You've offered not one "carefully reasoned explanation" or evidence.
You have, quite frequently, made unsupported statements, claiming that you have reasons to believe what you do regarding me, but not once have you actually provided a "carefully reasoned explanation" nor evidence.

When you actually provide "carefully reasoned explanation" and evidence, that are real..... I'll consider it, sure.
Well, that's an obvious lie.

I gave carefully reasoned explanations here: https://forums.carm.org/threads/explaining-explanation.82/

I gave you supporting evidence proving my claim to have answered your fence question here: https://forums.carm.org/threads/ath...s-a-proven-deal-breaker.258/page-4#post-66704

So you've just been proven wrong again. Will you acknowledge this, or continue to lie about me?

SteveB

Well, that's an obvious lie.

I gave carefully reasoned explanations here: https://forums.carm.org/threads/explaining-explanation.82/
And as I recall, I never found any interest in actually engaging in conversation on that op. Ah, I see.... you got rude, so I bowed out. October 11.... that's a long time ago now. Well. so much for explaining explanation.
https://forums.carm.org/threads/explaining-explanation.82/
I gave you supporting evidence proving my claim to have answered your fence question here: https://forums.carm.org/threads/ath...s-a-proven-deal-breaker.258/page-4#post-66704

So you've just been proven wrong again. Will you acknowledge this, or continue to lie about me?
but you haven't.
You just complain. Exactly like you did on the explaining explanation op.
This is why you're not an interesting person to talk to, and reduced yourself to constantly complaining.

Nouveau

And as I recall, I never found any interest in actually engaging in conversation on that op. Ah, I see.... you got rude, so I bowed out. October 11.... that's a long time ago now. Well. so much for explaining explanation.
https://forums.carm.org/threads/explaining-explanation.82/

but you haven't.
You just complain. Exactly like you did on the explaining explanation op.
This is why you're not an interesting person to talk to, and reduced yourself to constantly complaining.
None of this BS is relevant to the fact that you just lied by claiming I don't provide explanations or evidence. I just gave you very clear examples of me providing both. Will you concede your error? Or will your ego and NPD again prevent you from following Jesus and doing the right thing?

SteveB

None of this BS is relevant to the fact that you just lied by claiming I don't provide explanations or evidence. I just gave you very clear examples of me providing both. Will you concede your error? Or will your ego and NPD again prevent you from following Jesus and doing the right thing?
Of course not.
Because if it was, you're realize how deep into NPD you really are, and how desperately in need of outside help you are.

Nouveau

Of course not.
Because if it was, you're realize how deep into NPD you really are, and how desperately in need of outside help you are.
📽️

And you just proved me right again by refusing to admit your mistake in claiming I don't provide explanations or evidence.

Electric Skeptic

Nope..... Well..... actually.... in the mind of the atheist, you are right.
but in reality, it's not false at all.
No, in reality it is false. You constantly do it. There's an example in another thread where you claim I told you that your life didn't happen the way it did and that only me/atheists are correct.

I have never told you either of those things, showing that your claim is false.
You just did by telling me that's simply false.
My stating that something you said is "simply false" is not "an atheist saying that atheists alone are right", and it's beyond dishonest to claim that it is. It's me saying that in this particular instance, you are wrong. I'm sure even you can see the difference. Often enough you tell me (and others) that they are wrong on particular issues - is that "a 'Christian' saying that Christians alone are right"?

But it is an excellent example of you inventing things. I state that in one particular instance, you are wrong, and you claim that to be evidence that atheists say that "atheists alone are right".
Do you guys ever really think about what you're saying, and the plainly observable status you provide?
Well...since you are inventing things as shown in this post, the "plainly observable status" appears, instead, to be the "status SteveB can imagine, despite having no evidence for it".

SteveB

No, in reality it is false. You constantly do it. There's an example in another thread where you claim I told you that your life didn't happen the way it did and that only me/atheists are correct.

I have never told you either of those things, showing that your claim is false.

My stating that something you said is "simply false" is not "an atheist saying that atheists alone are right", and it's beyond dishonest to claim that it is. It's me saying that in this particular instance, you are wrong. I'm sure even you can see the difference. Often enough you tell me (and others) that they are wrong on particular issues - is that "a 'Christian' saying that Christians alone are right"?

But it is an excellent example of you inventing things. I state that in one particular instance, you are wrong, and you claim that to be evidence that atheists say that "atheists alone are right".

Well...since you are inventing things as shown in this post, the "plainly observable status" appears, instead, to be the "status SteveB can imagine, despite having no evidence for it".
Sounds like you're getting desperate to be right.
You're going about it all wrong.

There's only one way to be right.

Turn to God from your sin and place your trust in Jesus.
You'll immediately go from dead to alive, from judgment due sin and condemnation for sin, to an adopted child of God, and at a state of Peace with God.

SteveB

You say this whenever you are desperate to avoid admitting that you're wrong.

We can't do this without evidence, just as you couldn't do it without evidence either.
I'm still not the one chasing others around the forum and playing whack-a-mole, trolling, and desperate to be right.

Nouveau

I'm still not the one chasing others around the forum and playing whack-a-mole, trolling, and desperate to be right.
It's not trolling to explain why we can't just place our trust in Jesus as you keep telling us to do. If you can't handle criticism then maybe a discussion forum is not the place for you.

SteveB

It's not trolling to explain why we can't just place our trust in Jesus as you keep telling us to do. If you can't handle criticism then maybe a discussion forum is not the place for you.
It's not that difficult.

Believe what God has explicitly stated in his Word and follow Jesus.

Nouveau

It's not that difficult.

Believe what God has explicitly stated in his Word and follow Jesus.
Again, we are not capable of just believing things without evidence.

You couldn't do it without evidence, so how are we supposed to?