Is this forum for open debate or for Christian evangelism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing that people here are labeled and then discriminated against based on those labels. When I joined this forum I was hoping to engage in free, open debate regardless of my own beliefs or my positions on the issues. That's obviously not the case. It appears that those who do not support the CARM version of Christianity are not allowed to engage in dialogue in some of the subsections of this forum. If Christianity is based on truth, then it seems odd to me that some Christians so fear those who scrutinize their beliefs that those who do so are forcibly silenced. Anyway, if I'm not fairly allowed to have my say where I want to say it, then I see no sense in continuing here. I find discriminating against people based on their beliefs to be highly offensive. So is this forum truly for the exchange of ideas, or is it actually an effort to gain converts?

Mike McK

I'm seeing that people here are labeled and then discriminated against based on those labels. When I joined this forum I was hoping to engage in free, open debate regardless of my own beliefs or my positions on the issues. That's obviously not the case. It appears that those who do not support the CARM version of Christianity are not allowed to engage in dialogue in some of the subsections of this forum. If Christianity is based on truth, then it seems odd to me that some Christians so fear those who scrutinize their beliefs that those who do so are forcibly silenced. Anyway, if I'm not fairly allowed to have my say where I want to say it, then I see no sense in continuing here. I find discriminating against people based on their beliefs to be highly offensive. So is this forum truly for the exchange of ideas, or is it actually an effort to gain converts?
CARM has a debate forum. Why not debate one of us there?

4Him

Administrator
Staff member

You agreed to the rules of CARM when you signed up. If you had no intention of following them, you shouldn't have signed up to post here as you had to agree to abide by the rules. Now you're here and complaining about the rules YOU had to agree to.
If you don't like the rules and don't think you need to abide by them, you are free to go elsewhere.

You agreed to the rules of CARM when you signed up. If you had no intention of following them, you shouldn't have signed up to post here as you had to agree to abide by the rules. Now you're here and complaining about the rules YOU had to agree to.
If you don't like the rules and don't think you need to abide by them, you are free to go elsewhere.
Can the rules be changed to allow greater freedom for members regardless of their beliefs? I suggest that the rules be changed to do so. After all, Christians very often complain if they feel they are not allowed freedom to express their beliefs.

Mike McK

I'll gladly debate Matt Slick over his claim that the loves to debate atheists only to censor them on his forum.
Aren't you the one who was telling me what an anti-Srmite Martin Luther was, and how I don't know my history? Why not back it up in the debate forums?

I love the CARM forums because there are a lot of Christians here whom I want to reach. I want them to know what impact their beliefs have on society because that impact often hurts people. I am one of those people who have been hurt, and I don't want other people to be hurt the way I was. I hope that you don't want anybody to be hurt either.

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
I love the CARM forums because there are a lot of Christians here whom I want to reach. I want them to know what impact their beliefs have on society because that impact often hurts people. I am one of those people who have been hurt, and I don't want other people to be hurt the way I was. I hope that you don't want anybody to be hurt either.

Well, the forums are not for anyone to come here to lecture Christians about Christianity. I'm sorry that you have been hurt by whatever or whomever hurt you. That isn't the fault of the Christians that post here.

Also:

Participants are not permitted to discuss, comment, question, badger our moderators/admin on the forums or in IM, visitor messages, alerts, email, or other websites concerning the moderator application of warnings or infractions. You may not discuss forum moderation/management/administration with moderators. If you have a question concerning any violation, email administration at [email protected].

e v e

i don’t believe you.

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
It appears that you agree that I should be allowed the freedom to make my case here in this forum.

There is a debate forum for any two people that want to debate. You are not free to make your case on this forum. Read the rules again if you must, but either abide by them or you are free to leave.

preacher4truth

You make lots of baseless assumptions along with false accusations.

It appears to me you're the one here to make "converts" or, more accurately, to "de-convert" others.

You'll never take any person out of the hands of their Lord and Christ. John 10:28 &c.

Mike McK

I love the CARM forums because there are a lot of Christians here whom I want to reach. I want them to know what impact their beliefs have on society because that impact often hurts people.
Oh, yeah, telling people God loves them and building hospitals and feeding the poor. How terrible.
I am one of those people who have been hurt, and I don't want other people to be hurt the way I was. I hope that you don't want anybody to be hurt either.
I don't believe you've been hurt by Christianity. edit

John t

I love the CARM forums because there are a lot of Christians here whom I want to reach. I want them to know what impact their beliefs have on society because that impact often hurts people.
Obviously, you do not like the rules here. and just as obvious is the fact that you want to tell Christians how bad they are, because thewy are needing conversion to your way of thinking. That is so self-serving and short sighted because those wishes are contrary to aims of CARM.

One of the most important rules here is the rule on "Evangelism", and from what you posted, it seems as if you are about to break it. Hewre is an example. We have many recognized cults posting at CARM like Mormons, Oneness, JWs for examples. In those forums. Evangelical Christians are free to post how the cultists are wrong, but the cultuists are no permitted to post at how wrong the Evangelical Christians are.

Similarly, those who are Calvinists can not post about the "wrongness of the Arminians" on the Mormon boards. When you think about it, it is both logical and reasonable.

How you got your feelings hurt on another board is really not my concern because here, what happpens on other boards stays on that particular board.

Last edited by a moderator:

John t

It appears that you agree that I should be allowed the freedom to make my case in the debate forum.

Your freedom here is relative, not absolute in ANY of the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.