It really is over.. Thus says McConnell

Faithoverbelief

Putting his authority on the line, McConnell also asked his Senate colleagues not to stage any stunts when Congress meets for a joint session to ratify the election on January 6, effectively crushing the President's hopes of an 11th hour reprieve, CNN reported.

Temujin

Putting his authority on the line, McConnell also asked his Senate colleagues not to stage any stunts when Congress meets for a joint session to ratify the election on January 6, effectively crushing the President's hopes of an 11th hour reprieve, CNN reported.

“You can’t con people, at least not for long. You can create excitement, you can do wonderful promotion and get all kinds of press, and you can throw in a little hyperbole. But if you don’t deliver the goods, people will eventually catch on.”

Donald Trump in The Art of the Deal.

Looks like Mitch is catching on.

Journalist Jill Filipovic wrote an interesting editorial about this:

Mitch McConnell deserves no praise for finally recognizing reality​

It's sad that "leader of the Senate recognizes reality" is even newsworthy, but here we are after four years of Donald Trump.

Let's be clear: McConnell doesn't get applause for foot-dragging, for belatedly doing the normal thing. It's not even the right thing -- "doing the right thing" implies some sort of moral courage. He simply, finally acknowledged the real outcome -- plain for all to see for weeks now -- of the American democratic process. For one of the most powerful people in the country, that should be the baseline. It is time for other delinquent members of his party to do the same...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/15/opinions/mitch-mcconnell-gets-no-applause-filipovic/index.html

Whateverman

Journalist Jill Filipovic wrote an interesting editorial about this:

Mitch McConnell deserves no praise for finally recognizing reality​

It's sad that "leader of the Senate recognizes reality" is even newsworthy, but here we are after four years of Donald Trump.

Let's be clear: McConnell doesn't get applause for foot-dragging, for belatedly doing the normal thing. It's not even the right thing -- "doing the right thing" implies some sort of moral courage. He simply, finally acknowledged the real outcome -- plain for all to see for weeks now -- of the American democratic process. For one of the most powerful people in the country, that should be the baseline. It is time for other delinquent members of his party to do the same...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/15/opinions/mitch-mcconnell-gets-no-applause-filipovic/index.html
Yup. The bar is so low that we celebrate when people do their jobs.

Authentic Nouveau

Why didn't you tell us

McConnell said he wouldn’t allow a vote on the bills because they were “so partisan,” but, as previously reported, earlier this year McConnell received a slew of donations from four of the top voting machine lobbyists in the country.

“Clearly this request is not a serious effort to make a law. Clearly something so partisan that it only received one single solitary Republican vote in the House is not going to travel through the Senate by unanimous consent,” said McConnell on the Senate floor.

vibise

They lost and have to accept the reality that Biden will be inaugurated.

Instead, Mitch will try to refocus his caucus on what they did during the Obama Presidency, that is, block anything and everything Biden wants, no matter how much damage it does, in the hopes that Biden will be blamed and the GOP can gain seats in 2022 and the Presidency in 2024.

After all, they got away with blocking Garland for SCOTUS, so they will up the ante this go-round and be even more obstructionist.

Whateverman

They lost and have to accept the reality that Biden will be inaugurated.

Instead, Mitch will try to refocus his caucus on what they did during the Obama Presidency, that is, block anything and everything Biden wants, no matter how much damage it does, in the hopes that Biden will be blamed and the GOP can gain seats in 2022 and the Presidency in 2024.

After all, they got away with blocking Garland for SCOTUS, so they will up the ante this go-round and be even more obstructionist.
I'm pessimistic about a Republican Senate being productive, though I wont discount it completely; only the future knows what's going to happen.

On the whole, you're right. The GOP tactics succeeded completely, and there doesn't seem to be a good reason for them to change.

ps. the GOP does seem to be eating itself right now, though, and it'll be interesting to see where this goes in the next 6 months. Will they rally in having some common enemy to do battle with, or has their corrosive mistrust of truth & authority (and their pushing of conspiracy theories) come back to haunt them?

DeSanto

Holy crap it looks like too many of the Republican party are in on this. I suggest leaving that party and starting your own.
Get with it, fob, we have left the party. Well, I never was “of the party”... 🙄 don’t like to be tagged with labels.

Both are corrupt and crumbling away anyway. You should thank Trump for his willingness to expose BOTH!!!

Electric Skeptic

Get with it, fob, we have left the party. Well, I never was “of the party”... 🙄 don’t like to be tagged with labels.

Both are corrupt and crumbling away anyway. You should thank Trump for his willingness to expose BOTH!!!
"Expose"? He was the center. He sure didn't expose any.

Whateverman

This is because you don't have the courage of your convictions. You spent you entire time here asking What Ifs, and never stake out a position where you might possibly be shown to have been in error.

This is common among Christian fundamentalists, and it's a requirement of conspiracy theorists.

DeSanto

This is because you don't have the courage of your convictions. You spent you entire time here asking What Ifs, and never stake out a position where you might possibly be shown to have been in error.

This is common among Christian fundamentalists, and it's a requirement of conspiracy theorists.
Whateverman 🙄 I’ve taken plenty of stands... and have been constantly mocked for doing so. Call me crazy, I don't care.

And maybe I like to use “what if’s” to get people to consider alternate views. So what? This is a discussion board. I don’t come here to take stands, claiming to know everything or have all the answers. I come to discuss issues, share my views, and gain perspective.

What do you come here for? To criticize people?