Jan 1st - Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God

LifeIn

Today is the Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God. The gospel reading for today is Luke 2:16-21:

The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph,
and the infant lying in the manger.
When they saw this,
they made known the message
that had been told them about this child.
All who heard it were amazed
by what had been told them by the shepherds.
And Mary kept all these things,
reflecting on them in her heart.
Then the shepherds returned,
glorifying and praising God
for all they had heard and seen,
just as it had been told to them.

When eight days were completed for his circumcision,
he was named Jesus, the name given him by the angel
before he was conceived in the womb.

In reflecting on "Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart", it is good to consider that Mary did not know the full plan of God. She certainly did not know about the upcoming need to flee to Egypt, and she had not yet heard the prophesy of Simeon about sorrows she would have to experience. Yet she didn't complain. She trusted in God. In so doing she is a model for all disciples, for we, too, do not know what sorrows may befall us. But we can follow Mary's example and trust in the Lord even though we do not know the Lord's specific plan for each of us. This might also be a good way to look back on this past year of hardship for so many, due to the pandemic and everything else, and endure whatever we have to, trusting in God totally, like Mary.

balshan

Another feast day that places Mary before Jesus.

Without Jesus we would not have Christmas, without Jesus the NY has no hope. Jesus should be the focus. I think we need to be realistic this year is not going to be all clear. It will take time for the whole world is clear of COVID and that means there will be the necessary responses to any hot spots. If we focus on Jesus then we know we have Him with us as we go through any hardship the year throws at us.

I will be honest I do not understand the big deal about the NY. It is always with the assumption that the world is suddenly going to be a much better place, this is not the case. All we can do is our best to improve the life of those around us. Maybe invite the neighbours in for a cuppa and a talk. Jesus wants us to build relationships and introduce Him to others. Maybe we see a neighbour whose yard is in need of mowing. I mean I was surprised, my husband has always mowed the nature strips of our neighbours when he did ours, he was a bit anxious about ours after an operation. But no need to worry, the ladies mowed our nature strip for him. I was going to do it. They have been a blessing. Smile at people, be geniune when you ask if they are having a good day. Listen to others. Listen to the Holy Spirit, often He tells us the needs of those around us or who are our friends. I have never forgotten being prompted to take vegetables to some friends. I did not know their need, but that morning they had been praying for vegetables. So many little things that will help those around us.

Teresa

Today is the Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God. The gospel reading for today is Luke 2:16-21:

The shepherds went in haste to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph,
and the infant lying in the manger.
When they saw this,
they made known the message
that had been told them about this child.
All who heard it were amazed
by what had been told them by the shepherds.
And Mary kept all these things,
reflecting on them in her heart.
Then the shepherds returned,
glorifying and praising God
for all they had heard and seen,
just as it had been told to them.

When eight days were completed for his circumcision,
he was named Jesus, the name given him by the angel
before he was conceived in the womb.

In reflecting on "Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart", it is good to consider that Mary did not know the full plan of God. She certainly did not know about the upcoming need to flee to Egypt, and she had not yet heard the prophesy of Simeon about sorrows she would have to experience. Yet she didn't complain. She trusted in God. In so doing she is a model for all disciples, for we, too, do not know what sorrows may befall us. But we can follow Mary's example and trust in the Lord even though we do not know the Lord's specific plan for each of us. This might also be a good way to look back on this past year of hardship for so many, due to the pandemic and everything else, and endure whatever we have to, trusting in God totally, like Mary.
Mary had 30 years of these reflections before her Son became the worlds 'property'. My oldest son is 30 this year and I can only imagine the faith she would have had to have coming into the realization of His public ministry. I tremble at what she was experiencing when He came back to Nazareth and the Pharisees were accusing Him of being a demon and His contemporaries wanted to throw Him off a cliff. I think I would have gathered a posse and gone to try and pluck Him out of the situation too.

So the solemnity of these revelations about her Son's future, after His birth, tugs on every earthly mothers heart. 🙏

Teresa

Why not pray to God without Mary?
That God chose her among all women for this role and the way Scripture writers portray Mary and her relationship with Jesus, makes you love her and want closeness with her in your journey of faith as a mother, sister, companion, teacher. I fully connect with the early Christians who called her Theotokos. You are drawn to believe that when she asks for something her God-Man Son will listen.

PeanutGallery

That God chose her among all women for this role and the way Scripture writers portray Mary and her relationship with Jesus, makes you love her and want closeness with her in your journey of faith as a mother, sister, companion, teacher. I fully connect with the early Christians who called her Theotokos. You are drawn to believe that when she asks for something her God-Man Son will listen.
Where does scripture, Jesus, or his apostles teach us to pray with those dead in Christ?

mica

That God chose her among all women for this role and the way Scripture writers portray Mary and her relationship with Jesus, makes you love her and want closeness with her in your journey of faith as a mother, sister, companion, teacher.
nope. my journey of faith is in Him, not His mother.

nowhere in scripture does Jesus say 'believe in My mother, follow her, trust her, pray to her'.

I fully connect with the early Christians who called her Theotokos. You are drawn to believe that when she asks for something her God-Man Son will listen.
what believer in scripture called her that?

one of the many blessings of being a believer is having a direct (private) line to Him. no party line needed.

why is it that for catholics it always about 'asking for something'?

Mother of God: Father, Son, Holy Spirit.
That is not what the Catholic Church assets about Mary.

Mary is the mother of the incarnate Second Person of the Blessed Trinity. As God, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity existed from eternity past. As man, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity began to exist when he was conceived by the Holy Spirit through Mary's Faith in the Word of God given to her by the angel.

Jesus is a Divine person with two natures: human and divine. Because mothers give birth to persons, not natures, and because Jesus is God, Mary is the Mother of God.

Not rocket science. Just simple logic.

PeanutGallery

Jesus is a Divine person with two natures: human and divine. Because mothers give birth to persons, not natures, and because Jesus is God, Mary is the Mother of God.

Logically, Mary is the mother of the human nature of Jesus, not the Mother of the divine nature of God.

mica

That is not what the Catholic Church assets about Mary.

Mary is the mother of the incarnate Second Person of the Blessed Trinity. As God, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity existed from eternity past. As man, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity began to exist when he was conceived by the Holy Spirit through Mary's Faith in the Word of God given to her by the angel.

knowing that she is not my mother is the same.

balshan

knowing that she is not my mother is the same.
You would think that if Mary was the mother of the church and the apostles' mother that they would have mentioned her death and assumption. I mean when my mother died there was a crowd at her funeral. The local newspaper wrote on the funeral. In fact, when dad died the bigger newspapers did their own write up. But nothing but silence by the apostles. She died between 43 and 48 AD.

No surprise the book of Thomas did not make the inspired list of books, if this is an accurate summary:

The main document that Christians use to determine when Mary died is the Gospel of Thomas, which is based on the teachings of the Apostle Thomas. That book tells us that Mary was born around the year 64 A.D., so roughly the same year as Jesus. Another book, the Book of Joseph, says that Mary died about twenty years before Jesus was born. The other books that tell of the death of Mary all give dates that are much earlier than the date of Jesus’ birth.