Jerome as author-translator of the full Vulgate New Testament

This is total nonsense.
There are dozens of Latin church writer citations, "theological documents", by the 9th century. Even by Cassiodorus in the 6th century.

You mean Cassiodorus' "mystical" (cf. Eucherius) "the three mysteries" (Complexions) interpretation?

You know, it's telling that Cassiodorus didn't include the Comma in Clement of Alexandria's orthodoxically upcycled Commentary on the first Epistle of John in Latin, even though he made it more Trinitarian than it actually was in other places.

This was for the simple and most obvious reason, that just like Clement, Cassiodorus also held to a form of eisegetical mystery interpretation (just a sixth century one).

Last edited:
Because Tertullian is not Christian when he writes "Against Praxaes".

Can you show Christian scholars decrying and condemning Against Praxeas?

Can you extract specific quotes that you consider Montanist and non-Christian?

The Montanists do seem to have some similarity to modern charis-mania, But, even if that is true, how does it effect Against Praxeas?

Kenneth Copeland is credited with the song He is Jehovah. I like the song while rejecting in general his doctrinal teachings. The “Christians” who have songs to the Jupiter devil “Yahweh” I will never, ever give a hearing. In fact, one time I ran the aisles out of the tent song-fest when the song Days of Elijah was mangled.

Last edited:
Ockham's razor supports the simple explanation, John wrote the verse in his Gospel.
In his first Epistle. :)

One of the occasional iPad entry errors, like 1,00 instead of 1,000. I think I saw a third recently. And I try to review iPad writing, but sometimes I am traveling and the 30-minute correction window closes. Or I go in other directions.

Last edited:
Can you show Christian scholars decrying and condemning Against Praxeas?

Can you extract specific quotes that you consider Montanist and non-Christian?

The Montanists do seem to have some similarity to modern charis-mania, But, even if that is true, how does it effect Against Praxeas?

Jerome, said so.

JEROME (circa.  347-420 C.E.): “Now that I have cleared the rocks and shoals I must spread sail and make all speed to reach his epilogue. Feeling himself to be a smatterer, he there produces Tertullian as a witness and quotes the words of Victorinus bishop of Petavium. Of Tertullian I say no more than that he did not belong to the Church..." - (Paragraph 19, “Against Helvidius, on the Perpetual Virginity of the Virgin Mary” Also, W.H. Fremantle, “The Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary,” in NPNF2, vol. 6, New York 1912, pp. 334-46.)
https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3007.htm

He was not a Christian, he had apostacized, and become a Montantist heretic, who actively fought and wrote against the Church.

That's the context to Tertullian's heretical "Paraclete" reference with "qui" (not "et") "tres unum sunt".

Last edited:
Jerome, said so.

JEROME (circa.  347-420 C.E.): “Now that I have cleared the rocks and shoals I must spread sail and make all speed to reach his epilogue. Feeling himself to be a smatterer, he there produces Tertullian as a witness and quotes the words of Victorinus bishop of Petavium. Of Tertullian I say no more than that he did not belong to the Church..." - (Paragraph 19, “Against Helvidius, on the Perpetual Virginity of the Virgin Mary” Also, W.H. Fremantle, “The Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary,” in NPNF2, vol. 6, New York 1912, pp. 334-46.)
https://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3007.htm

He was not a Christian, he had apostacized, and become a Montantist heretic, who actively fought and wrote against the Church.

That's the context to Tertullian's heretical "Paraclete" reference with "qui" (not "et") "tres unum sunt".

That sounds like the Christian view of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Keep in mind that Jerome put Tertullian in Illustrious Men.

The Life of Tertullian, from the writings of Jerome
A brief entry in Jerome's Latin translation and expansion of Eusebius' Chronicle, and a longer one in De Viris Illustribus.
https://www.tertullian.org/jerome_biog.htm

And I saw a recent analysis that was very good.

Tertullian: A Critical Biography
Kyle Hughes
https://kylerhughes.com/2019/02/22/tertullian-a-critical-biography/

Last edited:
And I get the sense that TNC’s surprising degree of hostility to Tertullian was actually triggered by the desire to separate the “tres unum sunt” of Tertullian from that of Cyprian.

Tertullian

"Ita connexus Patris in Filio et Filii in Paracleto, tres efficit coharentes, alterum ex altere, qui tres unum sunt, non unus, quomodo dictum est, Ego et Pater unum sumus." (Against Praxeas XXV).

"Thus the connection of the Father in the Son, and of the Son in the Paraclete, produces three coherent persons, one from the other, which three are one, not one [person], as it is said, "I and my Father are One.""

That sounds like the Christian view of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Keep in mind that Jerome put Tertullian in Illustrious Men.

The Life of Tertullian, from the writings of Jerome
A brief entry in Jerome's Latin translation and expansion of Eusebius' Chronicle, and a longer one in De Viris Illustribus.
https://www.tertullian.org/jerome_biog.htm

And I saw a recent analysis that was very good.

Tertullian: A Critical Biography
Kyle Hughes
https://kylerhughes.com/2019/02/22/tertullian-a-critical-biography/

You can't even articulate your own views on Tertullian.

Jerome, said:

“Against Helvidius, on the Perpetual Virginity of the Virgin Mary”

Paragraph 19

"...Of Tertullian I say no more than that he did not belong to the Church..."​

That's the context of Tertullian's Adversus Praxeam 25.1.

Ockham's razor supports the simple explanation, John wrote the verse in his Gospel.
A plain misapplication of Ockham's razor. Here is the Comma according to scholar Raymond E. Browne (The Epistles of John 1982), which largely agrees with my own opinions to date.

First he says this of the evidence as to the Comma's inauthenticity:
If we turn from the Greek to ancient versions other than the Latin, we note that the Comma is absent from all pre-1500 copies of the Syriac. Coptic, Armenian, Ethiopic. Arabic, and Slavonic translations of the NT—an incredible situation if it were once part of the original Greek text of I John. The Oriental church writers do not seem to know the Comma before the thirteenth century.

As to who created the Comma, he seems to agree it was likely Priscillian the modalist or one of his followers and not the Carthaginian writers Tertullian, Cyprian, Augustine (of this, more later, perhaps)

C. The Origins of the Comma

Granted that the Comma was not written by the author of I John, when, where, and how did it originate? The first clear appearance of the Comma is in the Liber apologeticus 1.4 (CSEl. 18, 6) of Priscillian who died in 385. Priscillian seems to have been a Sabellian or modalist for whom the three figures in the Trinity were not distinct persons but only modes of the one divine person. Seemingly he read the Comma ("Father. Word, and Holy Spirit: and these three are one [in Christ Jesus]") in that sense: and because the Comma fits Priscillian's theology many have surmised that he created it. Before commenting on that, let me survey the subsequent history of the Comma among Latin writers before its appearance two hundred or three hundred years later in the extant MSS. of the NT, as discussed above.

1. The Comma in Writers after Priscillian (A.D. 400-650)

Whether or not modalist in origin, the Comma could be read in an orthodox trinitarian manner. For instance, it was invoked at Carthage in 484 when the Catholic (anti-Arian) bishops of North Africa confessed their faith before Huneric the Vandal (Victor of Vita, Historia pcrsecutionis Africanae Prov. 2.82 [3.11]; CSEL 7, 60). Indeed, in the century following Priscillian, the chief appearance of the Comma is in tractates defending the Trinity. In PL 62, 237-334 there is a work De Trinitate consisting of twelve books. Formerly it was attributed to the North African bishop Vigilius of Thapsus who was present at the Carthage meeting; it has also been designated Pseudo-Athanasius; but other guesses credit it to a Spanish scholar such as Gregory of Elvira (d. 392) or Syagrius of Galicia (co. 450).22 Recently the first seven books have been published (CC 9, 3-99) as the work of Eusebius of Vercelli (d. 371), but not without debate (see CPL #105). In any case, the work is probably of different times, e.g., Books 1-7 written just before 400, and 8-12 at a period within the next 150 years. In Books 1 and 10 (PL 62, 243D. 246B, 297B) the Comma is cited three times. Another work on the Trinity consisting of three books Contra Varimadum has also been the subject of speculation about authorship and dating,23 but North African origin ca. 450 seems probable. The Comma is cited in 1.5 (CC 90, 20-21). Victor, the bishop of Vita in North Africa toward the end of the Vandal crisis (ca. 485), wrote the Historia persecutions Africanae Provinciae in the course of which he cited the Comma as representing the testimony of John the evangelist (2.82 in CSEL 7, 60; 3.11 in PL 58, 227C). Early in the next century the Comma was known as the work of John the apostle as we hear from Fulgentius, the bishop of Ruspe in North Africa (d. 527), in his Responsio contra Arianos (Ad 10; CC 91. 93), and in his De Trinitate (1.4.1; CC 91 A, 636). The Vandal movements in the fifth century brought North Africa and Spain into close relationship, and the evidence listed above shows clearly that the Comma was known in those two regions between 380 and 550. How and when was it known elsewhere?

To the period before 550 belongs a Prologue to the Catholic Epistles, falsely attributed to Jerome, which is preserved in the Codex Fuldensis (PL 29, 827-31). Although the Codex itself does not contain the Comma, the Prologue states that the Comma is genuine but has been omitted by unfaithful translators. The Prologue has been attributed to Vincent of Lcrins (d. 450) and to Peregrinus (Kunstle, Ayuso Marazucla), the fifth-century Spanish editor of the Vg. In any case, Jerome's authority was such that this statement, spuriously attributed to him, helped to win acceptance for the Comma.

In Italy Cassiodorus (d. ca. 583) cited the Comma in his commentary In Epistolam S. Joanηis ad Parthos (10.5.1; PL 70, 1373A), although it is not clear that he thought it belonged to the Bible and was written by John. The work of Cassiodorus was a channel through which knowledge of the Comma came also to France. As for England, no MS. of the commentary on the Cath-olic Epistles by Venerable Bede (d. 735) was thought to show knowledge of the Comma, although two inferior MSS. had the phrase "on earth" after "testify" in the standard text of I John 5:7-8. C. Jenkins has now found a late-twelfth-century MS. (177 at Balliol, Oxford) that does contain the Comma, but by that date it may well have been read into Bede from the Latin Bible.

Overall, then, the evidence from the writers of the period 400-650 fits in with the evidence of the Latin Bible where the Comma begins to appear after 600 in the MSS. known to us. (Isidore of Seville, d. 636. who shows knowledge of the Comma in his Tesiimonia divinae Scripturae 2 |PL 83, 1203C], if the work is genuinely his, may have served as a bridge to the biblical MSS., for his name is connected with editorial work on the Latin Bible.) The Comma was known in North Africa and Spain, and knowledge of it elsewhere was probably derivative from North African and Spanish influence.
The following picture emerges from the information drawn from the church writers. In North Africa in the third and fourth centuries (a period stretching from Tertullian to Augustine), the threefold witness of the Spirit, the water. and the blood in I John 5:7-8 was the subject of trinitarian reflection, since the OL translation affirmed that "these three are one." Woven into this reflection were statements in GJohn offering symbolic identifications of each of the three elements, plus John 10:30, "The Father and I are one." Eventually, in the continued debates over the Trinity, the modalist Priscillian or some predecessor took the Johannine equivalents of Spirit, water, and blood, namely, Father, Spirit, and Word, and shaped from them a matching statement about another threefold witness that was also one. If the phrase "on earth" had already appeared in the OL reference to the Spirit, the water, and the blood, the counter-part "in heaven" was obvious for the added threefold witness of the divine figures. At first this added witness was introduced into biblical MSS. as a marginal comment on I John 5:7-8, explaining it; later it was moved into the text itself. Some who knew the Comma may have resisted it as an innovation, but the possibility of invoking the authority of John the Apostle on behalf of trinitarian doctrine won the day in the fifth-century debates against the Arians and their Vandal allies. The close connection of Spain to North Africa explains that the Comma appeared first in Latin biblical texts of Spanish origin. In summary, Greeven ״ phrases it well: "The Johannine Comma must be evaluated as a dogmatic expansion of the scriptural text stemming from the third century at the earliest in North Africa or Spain."

The wider context of Tertullian's Adversus Praxeam 25.1 was also a mystery interpretation.

Tertullian of Carthage

"Adversus Praxeam" Chapter 2, Sections 3-4

Latin Text, Evans 1948

"...maxime haec quae se existimat meram veritatem possidere dum unicum Deum non alias putat credendum quam si ipsum eundemque et Patrem et Filium et Spiritum Sanctum dicat: [4] quasi non sic quoque unus sit omnia dum ex uno omnia, per substantiae scilicet unitatem, et nihilo minus custodiatur οἰκονομία sacramentum quae unitatem in trinitatem disponit, tres dirigens Patrem et Filium et Spiritum, tres autem non statu sed gradu, nec substantia sed forma, nec potestate sed specie, unius autem substantiae et unius status et unius potestatis, quia unus Deus ex quo et gradus isti et formae et species "in nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti" [Matthew 28:19] deputantur. quomodo numerum sine divisione patiuntur procedentes tractatus demonstrabunt."

Translation Holmes, 1870

"...especially in the case of this heresy [i.e. the Sabellian heresy], which supposes itself to possess the pure truth, in thinking that one cannot believe in One Only God in any other way than by saying that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are the very selfsame Person. As if in this way also one were not All, in that All are of One, by unity (that is) of substance; while the mystery of the dispensation is still guarded, which distributes the Unity into a Trinity, placing in their order the three Persons-the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost: three, however, not in condition, but in degree; not in substance, but in form; not in power, but in aspect; yet of one substance, and of one condition, and of one power, inasmuch as He is one God, from whom these degrees and forms and aspects are reckoned, [Latin "in"] under the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" [Matthew 28:19]. How they [i.e. the Sabellian heretics] are susceptible of number without division, will be shown as our treatise proceeds."

Translation Evans, 1948

"...and in particular this one [i.e. the Sabellian heresy] which supposes itself to possess truth unadulterated while it thinks it impossible to believe in one God unless it says that both Father and Son and Holy Spirit are one and the same: as though the one <God> were not all <these things> in this way also, that they are all of the one, namely by unity of substance, while none the less is guarded the mystery of that economy which disposes the unity into trinity, setting forth Father and Son and Spirit as three, three however not in quality but in sequence, not in substance but in aspect, not in power but in <its> manifestation, yet of one substance and one quality and one power, seeing it is one God from whom those sequences and aspects and manifestations are reckoned out in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. How they [i.e. the Sabellian heretics] admit of plurality without division the discussion will show as it proceeds..."​

NOTE: English "the Mystery of" above is not a translation of Latin "mysterium", but Latin "sacramentum".
NOTE: Emphasis and Scripture reference added above, by me.
NOTE: Mr Avery's evaluations are almost always taken out of context.

A plain misapplication of Ockham's razor. Here is the Comma according to scholar Raymond E. Browne (The Epistles of John 1982), which largely agrees with my own opinions to date.
https://archive.org/details/epistlesofjohn00brow_0/page/n1/mode/1up?view=theater

Brown (1 "e"),

Raymond Brown actually had the only half-decent English language contra attempt in the 1900s. Then in the 2000s we have Grantley McDonald. However, both are still grossly deficient. Perhaps I will be able to go into some details.

And I see you have now moved to North Africa OR Spain :) :) .

You can't even articulate your own views on Tertullian.

You look for one quote-snippet and do not even mention Illustrious Men.
Or any real scholarship.

Again, I believe your writing on Tertullian is triggered by your obvious desire to separate his "tres unum sunt" from Cyprian's "tres unum sunt". Clearly a hopeless endeavor.

================

As for my views on Tertullian, like many they are mixed. I do not rest them on one quote-snippet of a writer 200 years later (remember, you were just attacking Jerome.) And I expressed my concerns about the apparent charis-mania of Montanism. And I find the Kyle Hughes biography, which gives a mixed appraisal, to be very well written.

Tertullian, Origen, Eusebius, Jerome and many others were accused of being heretics. So we should be slow to accuse from our modern perspective, which can be anachronistic.

Last edited:
Jerome

Letter 41, To Marcella

Translated by W.H. Fremantle, G. Lewis and W.G. Martley. From Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Second Series, Vol. 6. Edited by Philip Schaff and Henry Wace. (Buffalo, NY: Christian Literature Publishing Co., 1893.) Revised and edited for New Advent by Kevin Knight.

1. As regards the passages brought together from the gospel of John with which a certain votary of Montanus has assailed you, passages in which our Saviour promises that He will go to the Father, and that He will send the Paraclete — as regards these, the Acts of the Apostles inform us both for what time the promises were made, and at what time they were actually fulfilled. Ten days had elapsed, we are told, from the Lord's ascension and fifty from His resurrection, when the Holy Spirit came down, and the tongues of the believers were cloven, so that each spoke every language. Then it was that, when certain persons of those who as yet believed not declared that the disciples were drunk with new wine, Peter standing in the midst of the apostles, and of all the concourse said: You men of Judæa and all you that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you and hearken to my words: for these are not drunken as you suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken of by the prophet Joel. And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, I will pour out of my spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: and on my servants, and on my handmaidens I will pour out...of my spirit. Acts 2:14-18
2. If, then, the apostle Peter, upon whom the Lord has founded the Church, Matthew 16:18 has expressly said that the prophecy and promise of the Lord were then and there fulfilled, how can we claim another fulfilment for ourselves? If the Montanists reply that Philip's four daughters prophesied Acts 21:9 at a later date, and that a prophet is mentioned named Agabus, and that in the partition of the spirit, prophets are spoken of as well as apostles, teachers and others, and that Paul himself prophesied many things concerning heresies still future, and the end of the world; we tell them that we do not so much reject prophecy— for this is attested by the passion of the Lord — as refuse to receive prophets whose utterances fail to accord with the Scriptures old and new.
3. In the first place we differ from the Montanists regarding the rule of faith. We distinguish the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit as three persons, but unite them as one substance. They, on the other hand, following the doctrine of Sabellius, force the Trinity into the narrow limits of a single personality. We, while we do not encourage them, yet allow second marriages, since Paul bids the younger widows to marry. 1 Timothy 5:14 They suppose a repetition of marriage a sin so awful that he who has committed it is to be regarded as an adulterer. We, according to the apostolic tradition (in which the whole world is at one with us), fast through one Lent yearly; whereas they keep three in the year as though three saviours had suffered. I do not mean, of course, that it is unlawful to fast at other times through the year — always excepting Pentecost — only that while in Lent it is a duty of obligation, at other seasons it is a matter of choice. With us, again, the bishops occupy the place of the apostles, but with them a bishop ranks not first but third. For while they put first the patriarchs of Pepusa in Phrygia, and place next to these the ministers called stewards, the bishops are relegated to the third or almost the lowest rank. No doubt their object is to make their religion more pretentious by putting that last which we put first. Again they close the doors of the Church to almost every fault, while we read daily, I desire the repentance of a sinner rather than his death, Ezekiel 18:23 and Shall they fall and not arise, says the Lord, Jeremiah 8:4 and once more Return ye backsliding children and I will heal your backslidings. Jeremiah 3:22 Their strictness does not prevent them from themselves committing grave sins, far from it; but there is this difference between us and them, that, whereas they in their self-righteousness blush to confess their faults, we do penance for ours, and so more readily gain pardon for them.
4. I pass over their sacraments of sin, made up as they are said to be, of sucking children subjected to a triumphant martyrdom. I prefer, I say, not to credit these; accusations of blood-shedding may well be false. But I must confute the open blasphemy of men who say that God first determined in the Old Testament to save the world by Moses and the prophets, but that finding Himself unable to fulfil His purpose He took to Himself a body of the Virgin, and preaching under the form of the Son in Christ, underwent death for our salvation. Moreover that, when by these two steps He was unable to save the world, He last of all descended by the Holy Spirit upon Montanus and those demented women Prisca and Maximilia; and that thus the mutilated and emasculate Montanus possessed a fullness of knowledge such as was never claimed by Paul; for he was content to say, We know in part, and we prophesy in part, and again, Now we see through a glass darkly. 1 Corinthians 13:9, 12
These are statements which require no refutation. To expose the infidelity of the Montanists is to triumph over it. Nor is it necessary that in so short a letter as this I should overthrow the several absurdities which they bring forward. You are well acquainted with the Scriptures; and, as I take it, you have written, not because you have been disturbed by their cavils, but only to learn my opinion about them.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3001041.htm

Is Jerome wrong here about some of the Montantist's being Sabellian's?

Didn't the Montantist Tertullian have a falling out with Praxaes, the Sabellian One-ness believer?

Turn's out there must have been a schism within the Montantist sect into two factions, as Pacian testifies that Praxaes was a Montantist

‘Et primum hi plurimis utuntur auctoribus; nam puto et Graecus Blastus ipsorum est. Theodotus quoque et Praxeas vestros aliquando docuere: ipsi illi Phryges [i.e. Montanists] nobiliores, qui se animatos mentiuntur a Leucio, se institutos a Proculo gloriantur.’

PACIAN OF BARCELONA (circa. 310-391 C.E.): “...Blastus the Greek [mentioned by Irenaeus] is one of them ; Theodotus also, and Praxaes were once teachers of your group, they themselves, also Phrygians [Montantists] of some notoriety...” - (Chapter 2, Sections 2(B), Epistle I, [“To Sympronian”] “On the Catholic Name,” Page 18, “Pacian of Barcelona,” in: “The Fathers of the Church,” Iberian Fathers, Volume 3, Pacaian of Barcelona – Orosius of Braga,” Translated by Craig L. Hanson, 1999.)

PACIAN OF BARCELONA (circa. 310-391 C.E.):
“...Who therefore, must first be refuted through my letter? Even if you wish it, these pages will not be able to hold just the mere names of all these heretics,{4} unless by your own writings, which in every way are condemnatory of penance, ( you declare that you have shared the views of the Phrygians ).{5} But, dear Sir, so manifold and diverse is the error alone of these individuals that among them we have not only to strike against that belief which they hold against penance, but also to cut off the heads, as it were, of some Lernaen creature.{6} [Section 2.] First of all, they [i.e. the Montantist's] rely on several authorites, for, I think, Blastus the Greek is one of them ; Theodotus also, AND PRAXAES WERE ONCE TEACHERS OF YOUR GROUP. THEY THEMESELVES, ALSO PHRYGIANS [= the Montantist's] OF SOME NOTERIETY who falsely allege that they are inspired by Leucius, boast that they are instructed by Proculus. And having followed Montanus, Maximilla, and Priscilla, what numerous controversies have they roused concerning the day of Easter, the Paraclete, the apostles, the prophets, and many other things, – as for example, the appellation “Catholic” and the forgiveness of penance...” - (Chapter 2, Sections 1-2, Epistle I, [To Sympronian] “On the Catholic Name,” Page 18, “Pacian of Barcelona,” in: “The Fathers of the Church,” Iberian Fathers, Volume 3, Pacaian of Barcelona – Orosius of Braga,” Translated by Craig L. Hanson, 1999.)
[PERSONAL NOTE]:
Comments in highlighting added by me.
[FOOTNOTE 3]: Another, earlier name for the Montantists. Such writers as Eusebius of Caesarea and Epiphanius of Salamis used the phrase: “heresy of Gk., ( KATA ) the Phyges” to designate this heretical movement ; hence “Cataphrygians”. Its birthplace was the region between Mysia and Phrygia in Asia Minor.
[FOOTNOTE 4]: Peyot here conjectures a gap in the text. Rubio Fernandez notes such in his critical apparatus, but maintains the text. Either interpretation is possible.
[FOOTNOTE 5]: Again, the Montantists are meant. Also, Pacian here as elsewhere in his letters purposely links Sympronian and his Novationist colleagues with the Montantists.
[FOOTNOTE 6]: A reference to the mythological Lernaen Hydra, a multiheaded serpentine monster disposed of by Heracles in the course of his Labors. The Hydra's mortal heads were believed to regenerate themselves and multiply when cut off.
http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=X5hkltq6rrMC&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=Pacian+and+leucius&source=bl&ots=NuED9WsfeC&sig=1j3Nd4D-EdENbvj0E0EH_m7eeFQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=npsgU7edEImdkQWdmoGICg&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=Pacian%20and%20leucius&f=false

Praxaes was once a Montantist according to Pacian.

This explains Tertullian's quarrel (theological beef) and letter.

Last edited:
Both Tertullian and Cyprian had sacramental "mystery" interpretations.

You take a snippet quote from 1 John 5 verse 7 (KJV-numbering) "tres unum sunt" and divorce it from it's historical, theological, (and in Tertullian's and Praxaes' case) heretical contexts.

Jerome

“Against Helvidius, on the Perpetual Virginity of the Virgin Mary”

Paragraph 19

"...Of Tertullian I say no more than that he did not belong to the Church..."

Compare Cyprian's "heavenly mysteries" interpretation:

Cyprian of Carthage

"De Ecclesiae Catholicae Unitate"

Chapter 6-7

Translation Henry Thomas Armfeild, 1883.

“The Lord saith, 'I and the Father are One;' and again of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost it is written, 'and these three are One.' And does any one believe that this unity, proceeding from the divine immutability, cohering by heavenly mysteries, can be rent in the Church, and separated by the divorce of contending wills? He who does not hold this unity does not hold the law of God, does not hold the faith of the Father and the Son, does not hold life and salvation. [Chapter 7] This mystery of unity, this bond of concord inseparably cohering, is shown, when in the Gospel the coat of our Lord Jesus Christ is not divided in any wise nor rent, but is received as a whole vesture, an incorrupt and undivided coat, by those who cast lots for the vesture of Christ, who should put on Christ. The divine Scripture speaketh and saith : 'But of the coat, because it was not sewed together from the upper part, but woven throughout, they said among themselves, let us not rend it, but cast lots whose it shall be.' It carried with it unity coming from the upper part, that is, coming down from heaven and from the Father, which could not in anywise be rent by him who received and possessed it, but obtained at once an entire and solid firmness. […] By the mystery and sign of the coat he declared the unity of the Church.”​

Last edited:
To TNC, virtually everything is a "mystery" interpretation.

The context (the "heavenly mysteries" context) of Cyprian:

Cyprian of Carthage

"De Ecclesiae Catholicae Unitate"

Chapter 6-7

Translation Henry Thomas Armfeild, 1883.

“The Lord saith, 'I and the Father are One;' and again of the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost it is written, 'and these three are One.' And does any one believe that this unity, proceeding from the divine immutability, cohering by heavenly mysteries, can be rent in the Church, and separated by the divorce of contending wills? He who does not hold this unity does not hold the law of God, does not hold the faith of the Father and the Son, does not hold life and salvation. [Chapter 7] This mystery of unity, this bond of concord inseparably cohering, is shown, when in the Gospel the coat of our Lord Jesus Christ is not divided in any wise nor rent, but is received as a whole vesture, an incorrupt and undivided coat, by those who cast lots for the vesture of Christ, who should put on Christ. The divine Scripture speaketh and saith : 'But of the coat, because it was not sewed together from the upper part, but woven throughout, they said among themselves, let us not rend it, but cast lots whose it shall be.' It carried with it unity coming from the upper part, that is, coming down from heaven and from the Father, which could not in anywise be rent by him who received and possessed it, but obtained at once an entire and solid firmness. […] By the mystery and sign of the coat he declared the unity of the Church.”

You divorce this mystery context.

Cyprian of Carthage

De Oratione Dominica (On The Lord's Prayer”)

Chapter 34

Latin Text by Tauchnitz, 1839

“In orationibus vero celebrandis invenimus observasse cum Daniele tres pueros in fide fortes et in captivitate viefcores horam tertiam, sextain, nonam, sacramento scilicet trinitatis, quae in novissimis temporibus manifestari habebat. Nam et prima hora in tertiam veniens consummatum numerum trinitatis ostendit, itemque ad sextam quarta procedens declarat alteram trinitatem, et quando a septima nona completur, per ternas horas trinitas perfecta numeratur. Quae horarum spatia iampridem spiritaliter determinantes adoratores Dei statutis et legitimis ad precem temporibus serviebant. Et manifestata postmodum res est, sacramenta olim fuisse, quod ante sic iusti precabantur. Nam super discipulos hora tertia descendit Spiritus sanctus, qui gratiam dominicae repromissionis implevit. Item Petrus hora sexta in tectum superius adscendens signo pariter et voce Dei monentis instructus est, ut omnes ad gratiam salutis admit teret, cum [Page 26] de emundandis gentilibus ante dubitaret. Et Dominus bora sexta crncifixus ad nonam peccata nostra sanguine suo abluit et, ut redimere et vivificare nos posset, tunc victoriam suam passione perfecit.”

Translation by T. H. Bindley, 1914

“Now in the offering of prayer we find that the Three Children with Daniel, being strong in faith and victors even in captivity, observed the third, sixth, and ninth hours,[Daniel 6:10] in as it were a symbol of the Trinity which would be revealed in these last times. For the progress of the first hour to the third shows the perfected number of the Trinity; likewise from the fourth to the sixth declares another Trinity; and when the period from the seventh to the ninth is completed, the perfect Trinity is numbered through a triad of hours each. These spaces of hours were long ago fixed upon by the worshippers of God, who observed them as the appointed and lawful times for prayer. After-events have made it manifest that from of old these [Page 67] were types, inasmuch as righteous men formerly prayed thus. For at the third hour, the Holy Spirit descended upon the disciples and fulfilled the gracious promise of the Lord. Likewise at the sixth hour Peter, going up to the house-top, was instructed by the sign as well as by the voice of God bidding him to admit all to the grace of salvation, when previously he was doubtful whether Gentiles ought to be cleansed. And from the sixth to the ninth hour the Lord, being crucified, washed away our sins in His own Blood; and that He might redeem and quicken us, He then perfected His victory by His Passion.”​

Last edited:
Brown (1 "e"),

Raymond Brown actually had the only half-decent English language contra attempt in the 1900s.
Actually the late 20th century. He died in 1998. "Father Brown" (so termed) was a Catholic - one of the better educated Catholics, by all accounts. (That will be the last time I label him "Father".)
Then in the 2000s we have Grantley McDonald. However, both are still grossly deficient. Perhaps I will be able to go into some details.

And I see you have now moved to North Africa OR Spain :) :) .
No, I haven't. I was quoting from the book. In a passage that I didn't reproduce there is a reference to some Catholics in the middle ages saying that Augustine deliberately refrained from quoting the Comma directly, although he knew about it, because he knew it wasn't present in the Greek. Whether this is true I know not. However the three are one motif was clearly being bandied about in Africa ever since Tertullian. North Africa and Spain are connected by a small passage of Sea known as the Straights of Gibraltar. (8.1 miles), so I suspect that there was interchange of ideas between Africa and Spain. When the Vandals arrived in the 5th century, they conquered both areas.

Back