Jesus and Baptism

Every Christian? Why did Peter have to remember all the way back to Pentecost to the last time baptism with the Holy Spirit happened?

Acts 11:15-17 "As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. [16] Then I remembered what the Lord had said: 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' [17] So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God's way?"
Acts 11:16
And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’

It is this baptism, the baptism with the Holy Spirit, that every Christian experiences in which places them into the body of Christ.
Every Christian? Why did Peter have to remember all the way back to Pentecost to the last time baptism with the Holy Spirit happened?

Acts 11:15-17 "As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. [16] Then I remembered what the Lord had said: 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' [17] So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God's way?"

This was addressed in footnote 4.

Yes, the same One Jesus received in Matt 3:16 Who opens up in Jesus who He is and all of His heaven by the spirit that He is. All can read how God does it in man by His Spirit, Adam became like Him in Gen 3:22, Abraham received Him, Moses received Him, Jesus did, 120 did and so do all today that are born of God of Gods Spirit as all of these were.
Sorry, I reposted this by mistake while trying to do a response.

Where do I find footnote 4.

At the very bottom of the post.

Here it is:

[4] Peter referred back to Pentecost in Acts 11 because if one were to deny the legitimacy of these Gentiles being added to the Church then that would call into serious question such greats as Peter and the other apostles as well. It doesn't mean no one else was baptized with the Holy Spirit.

taken from this:
All who are Christians have been baptized with the Holy Spirit.[3] Other words are employed, but they refer to the same experience. See these other words in the middle of this thread:
https://forums.carm.org/threads/cornelius-and-the-gentiles-with-him-had-the-holy-spirit-fall-on-them-acts-10-44-11-15.10788/
This refutes the false belief that the baptism with the Holy Spirit only took place in Acts 2:4 (cf. Acts 1:5) and with these Gentiles (Acts 11:16).[4]

At the very bottom of the post.

Here it is:

[4] Peter referred back to Pentecost in Acts 11 because if one were to deny the legitimacy of these Gentiles being added to the Church then that would call into serious question such greats as Peter and the other apostles as well. It doesn't mean no one else was baptized with the Holy Spirit.

taken from this:
All who are Christians have been baptized with the Holy Spirit.[3] Other words are employed, but they refer to the same experience. See these other words in the middle of this thread:
https://forums.carm.org/threads/cornelius-and-the-gentiles-with-him-had-the-holy-spirit-fall-on-them-acts-10-44-11-15.10788/
This refutes the false belief that the baptism with the Holy Spirit only took place in Acts 2:4 (cf. Acts 1:5) and with these Gentiles (Acts 11:16).[4]
Ty. I see the point you're tying to make. But wording isn't the issue. Whatever name change is claimed, Peter remembered back to the last time it happened at the beginning. Many had been converted in between.

Last edited:
Back