Jesus Christ Opposed The Death Penalty?

Truth7t7

"Jesus Christ Opposed The Death Penalty"

I oppose the death penalty, justice at no place in the world is fair and equal

The rich are excluded from prosecution equally, also those that commit various crimes?

Example: Those participating in (Abortion) murdering the unborn, woman, boyfriend, husband, doctor, clinic owners, legislators and judges allowing it to happen?

Jesus Christ himself opposed the death penalty, just as the woman caught in adultery by the Scribes and Pharisees

I believe when the Lord Jesus wrote on the ground, their names were seen?

I believe this being the perfect example, with a legal system anywhere being guilty of the same

Accusers, Police, Judges, Juries, etc, how many are guilty and without sin themselves?

John 8:1-11KJV
8 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Ignatius

The rich are excluded from prosecution equally, also those that commit various crimes?

Example: Those participating in (Abortion) murdering the unborn, woman, boyfriend, husband, doctor, clinic owners, legislators and judges allowing it to happen?

Jesus Christ himself opposed the death penalty, just as the woman caught in adultery by the Scribes and Pharisees

I believe this being the perfect example, with a legal system anywhere being guilty of the same

Accusers, Police, Judges, Juries, etc, how many are guilty and without sin themselves?

2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
Technically Jesus did oppose the penalty of stoning the woman caught in adultery he just said the one without sin should cast the first stone.

Thistle

I think there is a principle here that is being missed. When Moses received the law, there was a super abundance of death penalty in the world. We rightly object to abortion, but how would you feel if you came home and your seven-year-old was crying because his best buddy was just killed by his parents? The seven-year-old did something wrong and his parents decide that was the final straw so they just executed him. That was how the world worked when Moses received the law. Moses said there is a handful of things for which someone could be executed, and the decision would not be up to the parents alone, but the case would have to go to the elders. Can you imagine going to the elders with a capital case against your own child, and risk hearing them say "Dude are you serious, you want us to execute your child over this?" The net result of the Mosaic law was, if you were a Jewish child there was virtually no chance of being executed. This was not true of any other nation in the world at that time.

This same kind of rationale would apply in the case here in John 8. So the idea of having a more forgiving system of death penalty is not exactly the same as having no death penalty at all.

Faithoverbelief

I am opposed to the death reward. It is not a punishment it is release thereof. Also it could be the greatest of all rewards. If Christianity is correct and the greatest reward is heaven then by accepting Jesus as savior a murderer is then given the greatest of rewards for their crime.

Thistle

I am opposed to the death reward. It is not a punishment it is release thereof. Also it could be the greatest of all rewards. If Christianity is correct and the greatest reward is heaven then by accepting Jesus as savior a murderer is then given the greatest of rewards for their crime.
Interesting to hear you say that. Two examples come to my mind as I consider what you have said here. One was the incredible anguish of Jesus death, and the other is the apparent exultation of Stephens stoning. I guess the difference was that Jesus was bearing Stephens sins, thus the anguish, and Stephen was being directly glorified, because of the cross work of Christ. So, my first reaction was to recoil from your conclusion, but on further reflection you may have a point.

Electric Skeptic

Few people actually faced with death seem to share your opinion.

Whateverman

This is perfectly consistent with Christian doctrine.

The fact that some Christians appear to fear death is a head-scratcher. It could be that they don't fully accept Christian doctrine, or believe all of its claims - but it's a contradiction, regardless.

LifeIn

I think it is the process of dying that people fear much more than the fact of being dead.

But on another note, the concept of death as punishment vs. life in prison was explored in the Twilight Zone episode "Escape Clause." It's also a good story about making a deal with the devil. Also, how many times did Bill Murray die in Groundhog Day? His character did not seem very afraid.