Jesus' Crucified Dead Body

Dant01

When Jesus' crucified dead body was laid to rest, it was a normal human body;
subject to death, decay, and the aging process.

Up in Heaven, his body is immune to all that.

But what about that day on Earth when Jesus' body was restored to life? Did it
retain its normal vulnerabilities, or was his body restored to life somewhat
superhuman?

In other words: when did Jesus' body become immortal? The day of his
resurrection, or the day of his ascension?
_

Last edited:

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
When Jesus' crucified dead body was laid to rest, it was a normal human body;
subject to death, decay, and the aging process.

Up in Heaven, his body is immune to all that.

But what about the morning on Earth when Jesus' body was restored to life? Did it
retain its normal vulnerabilities, or was his body restored to life somewhat
superhuman?

In other words: when did Jesus' body become immortal? The day of his
resurrection, or the day of his ascension?
_

Given that He wasn't immediately recognized, He was raised in His glorified body.

Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.”

Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus.

So they drew near to the village to which they were going. He acted as if he were going farther, 29 but they urged him strongly, saying, “Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent.” So he went in to stay with them. 30 When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed and broke it and gave it to them. 31 And their eyes were opened, and they recognized him.

He also said His body was flesh and bone, not flesh and blood.

See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, because a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you plainly see that I have.”

Dant01

Given that He wasn't immediately recognized, He was raised in His glorified body.

Rom 6:9 strongly suggests that Jesus' crucified dead body was restored to life with
immortality but according to John 20:17, he was not yet glorified.

Just as day was breaking, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know
that it was Jesus.

It's a curious foible of human nature that we all sometimes fail to recognize even
well-known friends and associates when they show up in places where, and when,
we least expect them.

Even had Ms. Magdalene and the disciples seen a strong resemblance to Jesus in
the man ashore and in the cemetery, they knew good and well their own selves
that it couldn't be him because she, and some of them, were eye witnesses to his
demise and his burial.

He also said His body was flesh and bone

Adam said the very same thing of Eve at Gen 2:23, yet we know she had blood in
her body because Lev 17:11 says the life of the flesh is in the blood. That's a
medical fact.
_

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
Rom 6:9 strongly suggests that Jesus' crucified dead body was restored to life with
immortality but according to John 20:17, he was not yet glorified.

John doesn't even imply that.
It's a curious foible of human nature that we all sometimes fail to recognize even
well-known friends and associates when they show up in places where, and when,
we least expect them.

Baloney.

Dant01

Other bodies in the New Testament restored to life by the power of God weren't
glorified in the process, so the resurrection of Jesus' body to its original condition
wasn't unusual; rather, to be expected.

And anyway, it was very important that his friends see Jesus back from death as he
was or they would have reason to believe his post resurrection appearances were
suspicious.

For example: the Watchtower Society has managed to convince its Jehovah's
Witness followers that Christ's post-resurrection appearances were done in a
materialized body, i.e. an avatar; and that his crucified dead body remains
deceased. The Society insists it wasn't restored to life, rather, is now squirreled
away somewhere on Earth in a condition, and a location, known only to God.

"If Jesus were to take his body of flesh, blood, and bones to heaven and enjoy
them there, what would this mean? It would mean that there would be no
resurrection of the dead for anybody. Why not? Because Jesus would be taking his
sacrifice off God's altar.
" (page 237 of the April 15, 1963 issue of the Watchtower
magazine)
_

Dant01

Were I the Devil, I would do my utmost best to disprove the resurrection of Jesus
Christ's crucified dead body because its crucifixion alone is only half enough to
protect people from the wrath of God. Though his physical body's death obtains
forgiveness for people's sins, its death alone doesn't make their exoneration
possible.

Rom 4:25 . . He was delivered up for the sake of our trespasses, and was raised
up for the sake of declaring us righteous.

The Greek word translated "righteous" is dikaiosis (dik-ah'-yo-sis) which means
acquittal; defined as an adjudication of innocence.

People merely forgiven still carry a load of guilt; viz: they have a criminal record.
Christ's physical resurrection deletes their record so that on the books, it's as
though they've never been anything but 100% innocent.

This clearing of one's guilt that I'm talking about is obtained via the kindness and
generosity of God through belief in the resurrection of Christ's crucified dead body.
If the Devil can succeed in convincing people that Jesus' crucified body is still dead
or, even better yet, make them question whether the man even existed at all; then
they will fail to obtain an acquittal, and consequently end up put to death in
brimstone because records are to be reviewed when people stand to face justice at
the Great White Throne event depicted at Rev 20:11-15.

Of all the doctrines invented by the Watchtower Society, I'd have to say that their
resurrection story is the most insidious because belief in the recovery of Christ's
corpse is one of the essential elements of the gospel that must be accepted if one is
to have any chance at all of circumventing the lake of brimstone depicted at Rev
20:11-15.

1Cor 15:17 . . Further, if Christ has not been raised up, your faith is useless; you
are yet in your sins.

NOTE: According to 1Cor 15:34, people that disbelieve Jesus Christ's corpse was
restored to life aren't fully conscious; viz: they're like someone in a stupor; i.e.
dazed.
_

Dant01

The apostle John was with Jesus the duration of forty days after his corpse was
restored to life. At no time did John see Jesus' glorified body; and if he didn't see it,
then neither did anybody else.

1John 3:2-3 . . What we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that
when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

NOTE: Of all the miracles that Jesus performed; in my opinion the most remarkable
of all was his own resurrection. (John 2:19-22)
_

Dant01

John 5:19-21 . . I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do
only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also
does. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all He does. Yes, to your
amazement he will show him even greater things than these. For just as the Father
raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is
pleased to give it.

That is a profound statement.

Seeing as how his Father was the source of all of Jesus' miraculous powers, then we
have to give his Father credit for Jesus' ability to restore his own corpse to life.

Now if Jesus was able to restore his own corpse to life, then we are safe to conclude
that when he passed away on the cross, Jesus remained in conscious existence,
and retained possession of his miraculous powers too, i.e. somewhere beyond the
grave Jesus was alive.
_

rakovsky

Restored to life as it was, or restored to life as it is now?
_
There are a couple issues.
First, Jesus was considered both fully human and fully God both before and after His resurrection.

Second, there is the reaching in Paul then after we die, we are raised in a spiritual body. Jesus has a parable of a seed dying to become a plant too.

Third, my understanding of Christianity is that Jesus does in the same literal body in which He was raised, eg. His body isn't rotting away somewhere in the ground.

Fourth, if you follow closely His life in the Gospels, He was doing things with His body already before His resurrection that would normally be classed as supernatural or above nature, like walking on the sea, having His body shine on the Transfiguration, having His face or head still show some kind of glory according to Mark when He came back down the mountain, also being able to feel power leaving Him when a woman touched His robe, and using his nody's spit in healing a blind person. Being able to speak in a "loud voice" on the cross conflicts with a person's normal ability on a cross, I heard.

Even being born from a virgin without a Male sexual partner for a father could suggest a miraculous body. And then there is the teaching about Mary being "ever virgin" in line with claims that Jesus left her birth canal without damaging it, ie. her birth canal remained fully intact even after the birth.

Then there is the story of Jesus going to a mountain where He could see the kingdoms of the earth, and also of Him calming the waters by His command.

Dant01

First, Jesus was considered both fully human and fully God both before and after
His resurrection

I think that, under interrogation, most Christians would readily consent that Jesus
Christ is fully God and fully Man, while in the backs of their minds actually believing
he's a divine hominid, i.e. a human-like being resembling Adam but not related to Adam.

I've even encountered a number of Christians online who honestly believe that baby
Jesus was implanted in Mary's womb so that she was his surrogate mother rather
than his biological mother.
_