Jewish women and wigs

I have a question...not intended to be facetious.
Why do some Jewish women - maybe just Orthodox - wear wigs to cover their own hair? I mean, if they are covering their hair to make them less attractive to men, why put a nice wig on?

Imho, it's just one of the many unnecessary strictures placed on Jewish life in the rabbinical quest to ensure sinlessness; the very definition of futility. Of course, this is nothing more than an uneducated opinion; I'd like to find what more knowledgeable persons have to say on the matter myself.

Harel13

I have a question...not intended to be facetious.
Why do some Jewish women - maybe just Orthodox - wear wigs to cover their own hair? I mean, if they are covering their hair to make them less attractive to men, why put a nice wig on?
It's for this reason that some authorities say wigs shouldn't be worn and only hats or other kinds of head coverings should be allowed. Those that do allow wigs say that's the other way around: In this case, it's not for the women to be less attractive to the men, it's for the women to be aware that they should lead a modest lifestyle, or as the saying goes "Kol k'vuda bat melech pnima" (Psalms 45:14), the whole majesty of the daughter of the king is internal.

It's for this reason that some authorities say wigs shouldn't be worn and only hats or other kinds of head coverings should be allowed. Those that do allow wigs say that's the other way around: In this case, it's not for the women to be less attractive to the men, it's for the women to be aware that they should lead a modest lifestyle, or as the saying goes "Kol k'vuda bat melech pnima" (Psalms 45:14), the whole majesty of the daughter of the king is internal.
It makes sense to me that wearing a scarf or hat would show modesty but I would think that wearing a wig would totally defeat the purpose.
I sometimes watch Jamie Gellar who is an American/Israeli cook. She did a YouTube video where she was fitted for a wig that looks exactly like her real hair. I was like...why??

Harel13

It makes sense to me that wearing a scarf or hat would show modesty but I would think that wearing a wig would totally defeat the purpose.
I sometimes watch Jamie Gellar who is an American/Israeli cook. She did a YouTube video where she was fitted for a wig that looks exactly like her real hair. I was like...why??
Well, different communities follow different rabbinical authorities. She probably belongs to a community whose custom, perhaps even tradition is to prefer wigs to other head coverings.

This reminds me of a story written in one volume of Chaim Walder's Anashim Mesaprim Al Atzmam (=People Tell About Themselves, collections of true stories about various people sent to the author, a noted Israeli educator), about a non-religious woman who moved with her husband and kids from Israel to New York. In NYC they started to become more religious and became very close to one of the Ultra Orthodox communities there. As they became stronger in faith, they kept more laws and integrated more and more into the community: The husband wore the black and white clothes and brimmed hat, the kids were sent to religious schools and this woman became more modest in clothing. The one thing she had a problem with was covering her hair. Finally, the women from the community managed to convince her to wear a wig. One day, she went to the bank. Suddenly, armed gunmen entered the bank, telling everyone to lie down while they robbed the place. Someone managed to contact the police, so the crooks decided to grab a hostage - that woman. As they led her away, with the police unable to do anything, she asked the guy who held to not choke her throat with his arm. He switched to holding her hair. Swiftly, she unclipped her wig, bent down and escaped, allowing the police to shoot the thieves. +1 to wig-wearing...😅

Honestly, some of these wigs are sexier than their natural hair.

Jewjitzu

I think that the main point is that within the religious community, men know women are not exposing their own hair. That's all that really matters. We can probably get into all matters of tzniut including length of skirts, jewelry, makeup, etc. There are various opinions.

We see in secular society that some woman cover their hair with wigs because it's convenient, they look better, self-esteem, etc.