John 17:3 does not disprove Jesus is God

jamesh

You said...

It's your "NATURE" your nature is that of human and it is your/our nature that separates us from all that are not human. Your a distinct PERSON from your father, mother and all other human beings.

Well the Greeks thought all their gods had the same “NATURE” but weredistinct PERSONS.

What is different about the Trinity view then?

The Greeks would simply say distinct PERSONS of the same NATURE would be distinct BEINGS.

But maybe they are wrong on that point so their view of multiple PERSONS with the same NATURE is really just one BEING just like in Trinitarian view.

P.S. From my many years of studying this, I think you have made an analogy that learned orthodox Trinitarians would not make.
Horse Hockey! Since the Bible is extremely explicit in the fact that there is only one God, and we are told in the Bible that one God (according to Matthew 28:19) distinguishes Himself in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit would YOU say or are YOU agreeing with the Greeks that they are three distinct BEINGS? And btw, I have been a Trinitarian going on 60 years now and I realized on day one that Jesus Christ was God without anyone explaining to me what the Trinity is till later and I understood it.

IN GOD THE SON,
james

Yahweh will increase

An assertion without proof.
1 Timothy 6:1 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters "despotas" worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. 2 Those who have believing masters "despotas" should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters "despotas" are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare of their slaves.

Would the masters in the above also be Yahweh dude?

Do you know what an Englishman's Concordance is?

Well you might try consulting it before you come on here half cocked with your nonsense.

Fred

1 Timothy 6:1 All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters "despotas" worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. 2 Those who have believing masters "despotas" should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters "despotas" are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare of their slaves.

Would the masters in the above also be Yahweh dude?
No, dude.

The Master of every Christian.
It is in point #1.

And you were talking about nonsense.

Classic.

Yahweh will increase

No, dude.

The Master of every Christian.
It is in point #1.

And you were talking about nonsense.

Classic.
Sorry but in those passages I gave you from 1 Timothy 6:1-3, Paul is speaking to Christians who are slaves and have "despotas" "masters" over them and telling them to obey their masters "despotas" as slaves, read it again dude and learn something instead of thinking that you always know it all already.

Our Lord's God

John 17:3
And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. (NASB)

1. The same Greek word for "only" is applied in reference to Jesus being the only Master (despotēs) of every Christian in Jude 4 - and yet the Father is also the despotēs of every Christian (Acts 4:24).

So "only" does not mean "only." It means whatever we want it to mean. Got it.

Oh, did you forget about the manuscript variant here?

2. The same Greek word for "only" appears in Revelation 15:4 in that only God is holy, but the same Greek word for "holy" is applied unto people (Titus 1:8). The reason that only God is holy is found in the very next clause in Revelation 15:4 in that it affirms that all nations will come and worship before Him. Thus, God alone is absolutely holy in that He alone is the proper recipient of worship. Since the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of worship demonstrates that He is absolutely holy (= God).

Ok so "only" doesn't mean "only" again. You work pretty hard at nullifying words you don't like don't you?

What is the Greek word for "holy"? Ya think it might be hagios? Now what is the Greek word at Revelation 15:4?

3. Whenever the "true God" is used in the Bible it is always used in contradistinction with idols (2 Chronicles 15:3; Jeremiah 10:10, 11; John 17:3; Thessalonians 1:9 and 1 John 5:20, 21). So the Lord Jesus is not ruling out that He is God, but He is contrasting that the Father is the only true God in comparison with all idols.
a. BDAG (3rd Edition): of God in contrast to other deities, who are not real J 17:3 (alēthinos, page 43)
b. Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: the one, true God, in contrast with the polytheism of the Gentiles (ginōskō, page 117).
One member of the Trinity can affirm the other member of the Trinity is God.

Rather, Jesus is praying to HIS God, the only God there is.

4. Knowing the only true God (John 17:3) = Knowing the Lord (Hebrews 8:11; cf. Jeremiah 31:34).
One knows the Lord in the worship of Him (Jeremiah 24:7; cf. 4:1-4). Since knowing the Lord Jesus entails worshiping Him as being YHWH (which the Father approves of) demonstrates He is the true God.
https://forums.carm.org/threads/pau...lxx-unto-the-lord-jesus-in-romans-10-13.7415/

Last edited:

Fred

Jude 1:4 has more than one manuscript variant. Whatever made you think you got to pick the one you want?
Even if you go by how it reads in the KJV it still reads the "only" Master (despotēs), and Jesus is referred to as despotēs in 2 Peter 2:1.

So your heresy is still refuted anyway you turn.

Fred

Sorry but in those passages I gave you from 1 Timothy 6:1-3, Paul is speaking to Christians who are slaves and have "despotas" "masters" over them and telling them to obey their masters "despotas" as slaves, read it again dude and learn something instead of thinking that you always know it all already.

But they are not the despotēs of every Christian.

Your point utterly fails.

Our Lord's God

Even if you go by how it reads in the KJV it still reads the "only" Master (despotēs), and Jesus is referred to as despotēs in 2 Peter 2:1.

So your heresy is still refuted anyway you turn.

Wow, you certainly are a blind one aren't you? NOBODY gets to cherry pick. Neither me nor you. You need to PROVE what the authentic reading is or you have nothing.