John 6:41-51, Bread of Life continues

LifeIn

The mass for this Sunday continued with the Gospel from John 6: 41-51 in the Bread of Life Discourse. In these verses, the Jews begin questioning Jesus's claim that he is the living bread come down from heaven. They do this by focusing on his very ordinary origin (so they thought). They say "Isn't this Jesus, the son of Joseph? Don't we know his mother and father?" They think they know all there is to know about his origins and ask "How can he say he came down from heaven?" Jesus affirms that he has been sent by God the Father and that he is the Bread of Life. He then affirms that his flesh is what he will give as the living bread.

PeanutGallery

...and no life. Bravo!

John6:53 “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you;
John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

pilgrim

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
And do you believeth Jesus when He says His flesh is true food and His blood is true drink?

balshan

The mass for this Sunday continued with the Gospel from John 6: 41-51 in the Bread of Life Discourse. In these verses, the Jews begin questioning Jesus's claim that he is the living bread come down from heaven. They do this by focusing on his very ordinary origin (so they thought). They say "Isn't this Jesus, the son of Joseph? Don't we know his mother and father?" They think they know all there is to know about his origins and ask "How can he say he came down from heaven?" Jesus affirms that he has been sent by God the Father and that he is the Bread of Life. He then affirms that his flesh is what he will give as the living bread.
You can keep up trying to prove the RCC's false belief. Jesus was speaking symbolically. He never meant to literally eat Him.

LifeIn

If you believeth on him, then you believe what he said in John 6:53, rather that dismissing it as symbolic. So the verses you quoted do not offer an alternate way to everlasting life as you implied.

mica

PeanutGallery said:
If you believeth on him, then you believe what he said in John 6:53, rather that dismissing it as symbolic.
why do you pick that vs to take literally and believe? because that's what the RCC teaches you and you believe what it teaches instead of God's word.

Most of what is in His word the RCC doesn't teach or substitutes with one of its false teachings.

So the verses you quoted do not offer an alternate way to everlasting life as you implied.
yes, the above quoted verses do tell us HIS way. I put them in bold red so you could see them.

LifeIn

why do you pick that vs (John 6:53) to take literally and believe?
Because it is confirmed by so many other verses that say essentially the same thing, and there is no reasonable symbolic interpretation of "eat my flesh and drink my blood." By comparison, when Jesus says "I am the door" or "I am the gate", there is a reasonable symbolic interpretation, namely he serves the same purpose as a gate in the way he protects his sheep (followers) from evil and leads them to everlasting life. Plus the fact that John 10:7 is the only verse that uses that particular way of describing Jesus, so the literal interpretation is not confirmed by lots of other verses. Plus the bible itself says it is a figure of speech in verse 6.

PeanutGallery

If you believeth on him, then you believe what he said in John 6:53, rather that dismissing it as symbolic. So the verses you quoted do not offer an alternate way to everlasting life as you implied.

Believe on Jesus Christ is not the alternative way? It is the only way.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

LifeIn

Believe on Jesus Christ is not the alternative way? It is the only way.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
That's a nice collection of verses, but they do not contradict, override or replace John 6:53.

mica

Because it is confirmed by so many other verses that say essentially the same thing, and there is no reasonable symbolic interpretation of "eat my flesh and drink my blood." By comparison, when Jesus says "I am the door" or "I am the gate", there is a reasonable symbolic interpretation, namely he serves the same purpose as a gate in the way he protects his sheep (followers) from evil and leads them to everlasting life. Plus the fact that John 10:7 is the only verse that uses that particular way of describing Jesus, so the literal interpretation is not confirmed by lots of other verses. Plus the bible itself says it is a figure of speech in verse 6.
yes, there is and it's been posted here numerous times. It's in scripture over and over - even the OT. catholics are blind to it. They haven't experienced it and have no guidance by the Holy Spirit.

catholics are in bondage to the RCC.

PeanutGallery

That's a nice collection of verses, but they do not contradict, override or replace John 6:53.
This contradicts RCC's eating of blood:
Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Acts 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

LifeIn

yes, there is and it's been posted here numerous times. It's in scripture over and over - even the OT. catholics are blind to it. They haven't experienced it and have no guidance by the Holy Spirit.
You used more words in claiming there is a reasonable interpretation that does not involve eating than if you had just said what that interpretation is. One wonders if you are bluffing by not saying what it is.

This contradicts RCC's eating of blood:
Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Acts 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Take it up with Jesus, not the RCC. He said to drink his blood. Then he showed us how at the last supper. Do you have that supposedly reasonable symbolic interpretation of "eat my body"?

PeanutGallery

Take it up with Jesus, not the RCC. He said to drink his blood. ...
Jesus did not go against his own inspired words: