Johnny Whittaker

Magdalena

"Marriott is the largest hotel chain in the world by the number of available rooms. It has 30 brands with 7,642 properties containing 1,423,044 rooms in 131 countries and territories." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriott_International)

There aren't that many general authorities. :rolleyes:

Also, do you have any evidence "the Mormon church" builds Marriott hotels?
Yes. This Is the one next to their theme park in Hawaii...

This article explains that Mormon officials wouldn’t stay in the old hotel there because of the condition, so they built a new Marriott hotel to accommodate them...

Last edited:

Bonnie

I have noticed the opposite. Many famous Mormons who leave the Church are still listed as Mormons and several of them say that although the are no longer Mormon they appreciate being raised. I'll see if I can find the list I was actually reading the other day. I was surprised by some of them that I never knew were Mormons.

Found the site where you can glance over famous Mormons. Kind of interesting. I never knew boxer Jack Dempsey and Bill Marriot of the hotel chains were Mormons.
I knew Marriott was a Mormon, but not Dempsey.

Erundur

Yes. This Is the one next to their theme park in Hawaii...

This article explains that Mormon officials wouldn’t stay in the old hotel there because of the condition, so they built a new Marriott hotel to accommodate them...

So the church doesn't build Marriott hotels; one hotel was built on church property. And it isn't just for general authorities.

Theo1689

So the church doesn't build Marriott hotels; one hotel was built on church property. And it isn't just for general authorities.

Um, nobody claimed they were "just" for General Authorities.
No wonder Mormons don't understand the Bible.

Magdalena

They built the one next to their theme park, and have purchased others. I didn’t say it was just for general authorities, but if you read the article you’d see that the general authorities needed a new place to stay there.

You could look all this up for yourself.

Erundur

I didn’t say it was just for general authorities
"The Mormon church builds Marriott hotels to use for their general authorities." were your exact words. Did you really mean "The Mormon church builds Marriott hotels for use by general authorities and anyone else who wants to stay there."?

Magdalena

"The Mormon church builds Marriott hotels to use for their general authorities." were your exact words. Did you really mean "The Mormon church builds Marriott hotels for use by general authorities and anyone else who wants to stay there."?
Of course. What I said was true. The article said their general authorities wouldn’t stay in the old hotel because of the conditions. So they built a new Marriott. I’m sure the hotel is open to other people as well. But it is for general authorities and their families to have a place to stay.

Fenuay

Of course. What I said was true. The article said their general authorities wouldn’t stay in the old hotel because of the conditions. So they built a new Marriott. I’m sure the hotel is open to other people as well. But it is for general authorities and their families to have a place to stay.
There are 3 towers with 200 rooms each. I don't think they built that with the general authorities in mind. I would say rather they were building it for the people coming to the island to visit to have a place to stay near the PCC. 600 rooms is a lot!

Erundur

But it is for general authorities and their families to have a place to stay.
The article didn't say that. It explicitly mentions three groups of people for whom the hotel was built, but "general authorities and their families" wasn't one of them.

En Hakkore

When I was a teenager, I used to watch General Hospital all the time, and the character of young Scotty Baldwin was played by Johnny Whittaker. He was in a lot of good movies and tv shows.
Apparently he was raised a Mormon, and served his mission in Portugal, but was later excommunicated by the LDS church...
Interesting. I had no idea Whitaker was once LDS or that he played a young Scotty Baldwin on GH. I'm familiar with his work in a number of films in the early 70s, particularly in the eponymous role of the 1973 musical Tom Sawyer -- I'm working on applying a redaction-critical method as found in biblical studies to the relationship between Twain's book and the various film adaptations in sound cinema, showing how the excisions, additions and rearrangements reshape the narrative in ways counter to the author's original vision for the character. I haven't decided whether to turn it into a standalone article or incorporate it into the book I'm writing... decisions, decisions. :p

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Fenuay

E how
Interesting. I had no idea Whitaker was once LDS or that he played a young Scotty Baldwin on GH. I'm familiar with his work in a number of films in the early 70s, particularly in the eponymous role of the 1973 musical Tom Sawyer -- I'm working on applying a redaction-critical method as found in biblical studies to the relationship between Twain's book and the various film adaptations in sound cinema, showing how the excisions, additions and rearrangements reshape the narrative in ways counter to the author's original vision for the character. I haven't decided whether to turn it into a standalone article or incorporate it into the book I'm writing... decisions, decisions. :p

Kind regards,
Jonathan
How many books have you published? Do you have any on the LDS Church?

Theo1689

Kind regards,
Jonathan

I remember him in a movie called, "The Littlest Angel", and when I became a Christian, I recalled the movie, and used it as an opportunity to see if the Bible taught that humans turn into angels when they die. (They don't.)

Fenuay

I remember him in a movie called, "The Littlest Angel", and when I became a Christian, I recalled the movie, and used it as an opportunity to see if the Bible taught that humans turn into angels when they die. (They don't.)
That's a sweet movie! I loved it!!

En Hakkore

They don't?!!? :p Yes... provided I include made-for-TV movies in my book, The Little Angel will receive at least passing mention.

Kind regards,
Jonathan