Joseph Smith as a type of Christ

Markk

I see this as important enough to make this it's own thread. The video speaks for itself.

Ralf it is very true. Start at 35 minutes of the video. Not only does she say that Joseph Smith is a type of Jesus Christ, but she also shows a picture of Joseph and Jesus together side by side. Then she doubles down and says the progressives today in the LDS church, are basically the same as those that accused Christ...i.e. that Sadducees and Pharisees.

Yes good buddy and then the text reveals why she said that, many of the things Christ was accused of are the same thing Joseph Smith was accused of, do you know the meaning of "Type Of"? Like Magic and cult activities involving satanic preachings.

I have to laugh at your ignorance and typical false claims, you never really read into anyone's text and are quick to find fault using little to no full text language or quick to judge incorrectly... glad you were able to watch part 2. There is hope for you still....
EDITED BY MOD--LANGUAGE I guess, you apparently missed that part of the video. Comparing Joseph to God is not something I would take lightly. It is nothing really new, but something that is often denied when Jospeh worship is asserted.

You accuse Bushman and others of being progressive for telling a true history about Joseph, yet flock to others that teach an history of him that is just not even close to the truth.

Typology of Christ is something I would step lightly on. To say that a money digger, an adulterer, and a womanizer is a type of Christ is blasphemy IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is not BS anymore, I guess, you apparently missed that part of the video. Comparing Joseph to God is not something I would take lightly. It is nothing really new, but something that is often denied when Jospeh worship is asserted.
Well lets see if you're willing to give the exact words by Stoddard that upset you and find it upsetting... I never saw anthing that would offend me or offend God or his Son.

You accuse Bushman and others of being progressive for telling a true history about Joseph, yet flock to others that teach an history of him that is just not even close to the truth.

Then why does he not admit using Arrington, Mormonism unveiled, and other anti sources... Gosh I dunno.
You say you have Rough Stone Rolling, show me were he acknowledges some of these enemies of the Church.
Arrington was not a enemy but surly he was a progressive historian.

Typology of Christ is something I would step lightly on. To say that a money digger, an adulterer, and a womanizer is a type of Christ is blasphemy IMO.
Yes indeed Markk, how irreverent to us typolgy as we also find it in the Bible... chuckle.

Christian typology begins in the New Testament itself. For example, Paul in Romans 5:14 calls Adam "a type [τύπος] of the one who was to come" — i.e., a type of Christ. He contrasts Adam and Christ both in Romans 5 and in 1 Corinthians 15.

Typological interpretation of this story holds that it prefigures Christ's burial and resurrection. The stomach of the fish represented Christ's tomb; as Jonah exited from the fish after three days and three nights, so did Christ rise from His tomb on the third day. In the New Testament, Jesus invokes Jonah in the manner of a type: "As the crowds increased, Jesus said, 'This is a wicked generation. It asks for a miraculous sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.'" Luke 11:29–32 (see also Matthew 12:38–42, 16:1–4). In Jonah 2, Jonah called the belly of the fish "She'ol", the land of the dead (translated as "the grave" in the NIV Bible).

Yes, Adam is a type in that he is the first Adam and the Second Adam...the Bible reads these different types, which is typology of Biblical figures...not Hanna Stoddards view of Joseph Smith

Yes, Adam is a type in that he is the first Adam and the Second Adam...the Bible reads these different types, which is typology of Biblical figures...not Hanna Stoddards view of Joseph Smith

I know how horrifying it is to you to think there are more then one God when we find out there was a council of gods, Markk. So to think JS is close to the savior and a type is absolutely shocking to many and you have just proven it. Joseph Smith never said or boasted that he was exalted above Jesus Christ or that every knee would bow to him.... so Markk, JS never felt equal with Christ and Stoddard never claimed he was either... there is only one being we can turn to for Salvation by way or repentance and keeping the covenants we made at baptism.

“Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” Philippians 2:9-11

From the King Follett Sermon we have this famous quote, “in the beginning the head of the gods called a council of the gods. They came together and concocted a plan to create the world and people it”. And then, “When we begin to learn this way, that God exists in this council structure with other divine beings, that he calls gods. We begin to learn the only true God, and what kind of a being we have got to worship”.

I see this as important enough to make this it's own thread. The video speaks for itself.

1). Recognize he is a type of Jesus Christ...
2). Jesus Christ was accused of the same things they accused JS of.
3). Pharisees and Sadducees can be related to enemies of the Church.. enemies and intellectuals they accused him, Joseph Smith, of magic, the occult, satanism,
4). Court of law, witnesses (Bible) who loved Christ, witnesses who haded JC, Pharisees and Sadducees, High Priest who pretty much put Christ to death, not much different today. After all JS was murdered and put to death...
5). Judas and Nicodemus... faithless and traitor.

Bushman gives more credence to Mormonism Unveiled then to Peter, James and John and many others, the lovely fisherman versus the esteemed intellectuals.

1). Recognize he is a type of Jesus Christ...
2). Jesus Christ was accused of the same things they accused JS of.
3). Pharisees and Sadducees can be related to enemies of the Church.. enemies and intellectuals they accused him, Joseph Smith, of magic, the occult, satanism,
4). Court of law, witnesses (Bible) who loved Christ, witnesses who haded JC, Pharisees and Sadducees, High Priest who pretty much put Christ to death, not much different today. After all JS was murdered and put to death...
5). Judas and Nicodemus... faithless and traitor.

Bushman gives more credence to Mormonism Unveiled then to Peter, James and John and many others, the lovely fisherman versus the esteemed intellectuals.
All is quiet on the Western Front... chuckle.

Yes good buddy and then the text reveals why she said that, many of the things Christ was accused of are the same thing Joseph Smith was accused of, do you know the meaning of "Type Of"? Like Magic and cult activities involving satanic preachings.
In Christian theology, to say something is a "type of Christ" means that something that came before Christ is an illustration of the Messiah Christ would be.

Joseph Smith was not a type of Christ. He was a con man who got killed in a shootout while trying to escape from jail.
I have to laugh at your ignorance and typical false claims
...says the guy who doesn't know what "type of Christ" means.

In Christian theology, to say something is a "type of Christ" means that something that came before Christ is an illustration of the Messiah Christ would be.
  • glory of sun is typical of glory of God, D&C 76:70.

Joseph Smith was not a type of Christ. He was a con man who got killed in a shootout while trying to escape from jail.

Sorry I don't respond to speculations and folks who do not source...

...says the guy who doesn't know what "type of Christ" means.
Your opinion I speculate, I see you are not a researcher, just someone who is just loquacious .... chuckle.

Sorry I don't respond to speculations and folks who do not source...
Sorry, I just assumed, as a Mormon, you would have been familiar with this.
Your opinion I speculate, I see you are not a researcher, just someone who is just loquacious .... chuckle.
And you wouldn't have lasted five minutes in our seminary classes. Your magic underwear wouldn't have helped you any.

Sorry, I just assumed, as a Mormon, you would have been familiar with this.

And you wouldn't have lasted five minutes in our seminary classes. Your magic underwear wouldn't have helped you any.
When someone is losing any debate or issue, it is obvious that a non-answer followed with Mocking and ridicule is a sure sign of ignorance of the topic.

I think your magic underwear is cutting off the circulation to your brain.
Well for someone who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ, try this? Are you going to also mock God and the Prophets.

In the Old Testament the Israelites are specifically instructed to turn their garments into personal reminders of their covenants with God
Numbers 15:37-41).

Me thinks rightly you are like the Pharisees and Sadducees,

Party of the time of Jesus Christ that denied the resurrection of the dead, the existence of spirits, and the obligation of oral tradition, emphasizing acceptance of the written Law alone.

Back