Just a reminder of how barbaric the insurrection on Jan 6th really was.

Algor

since when did I provide what constitutes the sole metric that defines a violent insurrection. I did not.
I didn’t say sole metric. Behold the transparent attempt to re-state what I said order to make your idiotic (and yes, truly idiotic) metric is defensible.

Its transparent, and stupidly partisan.

shnarkle

A BLM supporter at least. My so what was in regards to his presence, not to the shooting.

That's an assumption on your part which is totally incorrect.

If it had been a black female trying to crawl into the chamber, my reaction would be the same. It's a shame she's dead, but her actions precipitated the events.

An unfounded assumption.

So who do you recommend for this investigation?

Show me some bloody evidence then. Something that can actually be verified. All I've seen so far are unsubstantiated allegations. I'm sure you believe there was fraud, but your belief is not sufficient to convince me. I've been seeing and reading about this massive evidence since election day. I'm tired of seeing the same old tired arguments being constantly retreaded. Show me something new. Show me something that will actually change my mind (and yes, that is possible).
This article cites court documents which indicate the FBI was behind this so-called "insurrection".

Bob1

They unlocked the doors and invited them in. Pelossiss won't furnish video. They lynched Ashli Babbitt in cold blood.
No, they didn't invite them in. That's right-wingnut BS... along with the claim that the riot was conducted by "leftists" disguised as tRum.panzees.

Gus Bovona

I could care less about whining liberals calling a mostly peaceful protest an "insurrection."
If it had stayed as a peaceful protest, that would be one thing. But it changed into an attempt to prevent the certification of the electoral college vote, which is a purely ceremonial operation. The way to change election results is not, should not, can not, and must not ever, ever be what was attempted on Jan. 6., at least if you care about democracy and the rule of law.

Reepicheep

Look at how brazenly these insurrectionists overwhelmed the Capitol Hill police.
I agree 100%. The behavior of the rioters was inexcusable. The irony, of course, is that the video footage taken by the rioters will be used as evidence which will result in many hundreds of Trump supporters spending many years in prison.

For those of you who don't know, the first sitting of the Select Committee Hearing is now being broadcast live on TV. The evidence presented thus far is both fascinating and horrifying.

Algor

I agree 100%. The behavior of the rioters was inexcusable. The irony, of course, is that the video footage taken by the rioters will be used as evidence which will result in many hundreds of Trump supporters spending many years in prison.

For those of you who don't know, the first sitting of the Select Committee Hearing is now being broadcast live on TV. The evidence presented thus far is both fascinating and horrifying.
You do realize you are watching a farcical partisan circus, right?

Algor

Is the footage being shown of rioters attacking police officers real?
Sure.

I can find you lots of that for which there isn't a select house committee hearing too. But this apparently has considerable significance for you. Why is that? Got a hole in your life since Trump left office?

Reepicheep

Sure.

I can find you lots of that for which there isn't a select house committee hearing too. But this apparently has considerable significance for you. Why is that? Got a hole in your life since Trump left office?

Do you think the mob of rioters who attacked the Capitol Building in order to stop the electoral college count and have Trump illegally declared the winner of the 2020 election were morally in the right?

Thistle

Thistle

If it had stayed as a peaceful protest, that would be one thing. But it changed into an attempt to prevent the certification of the electoral college vote, which is a purely ceremonial operation.
Whether it's a "purely ceremonial operation" depends on what the rules of the joint session permit the parties to do. It was not purely ceremonial in 1872, and there was some chance that wouldn't be purely ceremonial in this instance at least theoretically. The disruption literally foiled any attempt to make this more than a "purely ceremonial operation."
The way to change election results is not, should not, can not, and must not ever, ever be what was attempted on Jan. 6., at least if you care about democracy and the rule of law.
The proper characterization of "what was attempted on January 6" is a matter of considerable disagreement. The same crowd that called burning police precincts to the ground "mostly peaceful protests" have universalize the motivation of every person who is on Capitol Hill in a way that is remarkably inconsistent with their otherwise dovish rendering of facts.

Algor

Do you think the mob of rioters who attacked the Capitol Building in order to stop the electoral college count and have Trump illegally declared the winner of the 2020 election were morally in the right?
Of course not. Lots of things aren't, and in the scale of things this one is more drama than actual horror. But you are apparently very impressed by the ones politicians turn into three ring circuses. why?

I mean seriously, if you want fascination and horror just go out, find a homeless guy, buy him lunch and see if he'll open up to you. One of those guys could sate your need for drama and horror pretty quick if you want to listen. But this.....pathetic circus has you gripped.

I mean, I've been caught in a riot. Terrifying stuff. But there's a lot of terror and horror in the world.

Furion

If it had stayed as a peaceful protest, that would be one thing. But it changed into an attempt to prevent the certification of the electoral college vote, which is a purely ceremonial operation. The way to change election results is not, should not, can not, and must not ever, ever be what was attempted on Jan. 6., at least if you care about democracy and the rule of law.
So what you are saying is they allegedly attempted to disrupt a ceremony.

No insurrection in sight.

Reepicheep

Of course not. Lots of things aren't, and in the scale of things this one is more drama than actual horror. But you are apparently very impressed by the ones politicians turn into three ring circuses. why?
Since the purpose of this riot was to stop the election of the rightful winner of the US presidential election, do you believe that this riot was an attack on the very foundation of democracy in the United States?

Algor

Since the purpose of this riot was to stop the election of the rightful winner of the US presidential election, do you believe that this riot was an attack on the very foundation of democracy in the United States?
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a true believer!

No more than the burning and looting of the summer riots of 2020, no. One is directed at the federal government, the other at the basic civil institutions of policing and community trust and function. Both are absolutely integral to a functioning democracy. This is kinda obvious.