Just a reminder of how barbaric the insurrection on Jan 6th really was.

Thistle

Bob1

I know, right. So far, no one has been charged with insurrection.
But plenty of them have been charged with various federal crimes. And why do the whiny Republicans refuse to support an investigation into January 6th?

Gus Bovona

Whether it's a "purely ceremonial operation" depends on what the rules of the joint session permit the parties to do. It was not purely ceremonial in 1872, and there was some chance that wouldn't be purely ceremonial in this instance at least theoretically. The disruption literally foiled any attempt to make this more than a "purely ceremonial operation."
I retract my characterization as ceremonial the process on Jan 6. It is not essential to the point that the goal of at least some of the folks inside the Capitol was to prevent the constitutional process of certifying the vote of the electoral college.

The proper characterization of "what was attempted on January 6" is a matter of considerable disagreement. The same crowd that called burning police precincts to the ground "mostly peaceful protests" have universalize the motivation of every person who is on Capitol Hill in a way that is remarkably inconsistent with their otherwise dovish rendering of facts.
How we characterize burning police stations has nothing to do with how we characterize Jan 6. In fact, how we characterize Jan 6 doesn’t mean anything either. What matters is the fact that some of those in the Capitol attempted to disrupt the constitutional process of certifying the vote of the electoral college.

Algor

But plenty of them have been charged with various federal crimes. And why do the whiny Republicans refuse to support an investigation into January 6th?
Because they know it will be turned into a partisan witch hunt.
Anyone who paid any attention to the the impeachment proceedings or to the Kavanaugh confirmation can see this.

Algor

How we characterize burning police stations has nothing to do with how we characterize Jan 6.
Well, no. If you categorise the former as part of a mostly peaceful process, but the latter as an insurrection then there is an issue with how you view political violence.
In fact, how we characterize Jan 6 doesn’t mean anything either. What matters is the fact that some of those in the Capitol attempted to disrupt the constitutional process of certifying the vote of the electoral college.
Right.

Bob1

Because they know it will be turned into a partisan witch hunt.
Anyone who paid any attention to the the impeachment proceedings or to the Kavanaugh confirmation can see this.
No, they oppose an investigation because the Republicans know they will come out looking very bad... and rightfully so. It was THEIR camp that staged the riot. They don't want the cultish lunacy of tRump supporters laid out front and center. They don't want to acknowledge that the riot was fomented by the baseless lies of tRump and the sniveling Republican congressional members who back and support tRump.

Algor

No, they oppose an investigation because the Republicans know they will come out looking very bad... and rightfully so. It was THEIR camp that staged the riot. They don't want the cultish lunacy of tRump supporters laid out front and center. They don't want to acknowledge that the riot was fomented by the baseless lies of tRump and the sniveling Republican congressional members who back and support tRump.
OK. Cultish lunacy on full display here. 'tRump'? Really?

You are mirroring the "Barak HUSSEIN Obama" crowd. This is bread and circuses.

Bob1

OK. Cultish lunacy on full display here. 'tRump'? Really?

You are mirroring the "Barak HUSSEIN Obama" crowd. This is bread and circuses.
Why are you trying to get off topic? I write it "tRump" because he is arguably the worst president in American history.

However, NONE of that changes my point about why Republicans won't support an investigation of January 6th (THEY know THEIR camp was entirely responsible for the riot).

Thistle

I retract my characterization as ceremonial the process on Jan 6. It is not essential to the point that the goal of at least some of the folks inside the Capitol was to prevent the constitutional process of certifying the vote of the electoral college.
Which also would have been a constitutional process, just like it was a constitutional process in 1872.
How we characterize burning police stations has nothing to do with how we characterize Jan 6.
My point exactly.
In fact, how we characterize Jan 6 doesn’t mean anything either. What matters is the fact that some of those in the Capitol attempted to disrupt the constitutional process of certifying the vote of the electoral college.
Which puts the lie to the idea that Donald Trump sent them down there too disrupt the procedures on the floor of the house they were his only chance of being victorious.

Reepicheep

That's a very good question; "even the most honest and informed citizen "cannot predict with any reasonable assurance whether a wide range of seemingly ordinary activities might be regarded by federal prosecutors as felonies."" If you can get a federal prosecutor to give you a straight answer to that question in writing please let me know.
I remember Donald Trump declaring breakfast cereal to be a controlled substance. Did he also declare all beverages sold at 7-11 to be controlled substances as well?

Thistle

I remember Donald Trump declaring breakfast cereal to be a controlled substance. Did he also declare all beverages sold at 7-11 to be controlled substances as well?
So how long were you in for? Were those Apple Jacks really worth it?

Furion

But I stayed away from the Captain Crunch. Those guys are nuts!
Him and his cohorts are rabble rousers. I would rather be caught with those three nitwits snap, crackle and pop. They're from Canada. Does anything good come from Canada?

Thistle

Him and his cohorts are rabble rousers. I would rather be caught with those three nitwits snap, crackle and pop. They're from Canada. Does anything good come from Canada?
Why am I suddenly thinking of Titus 1:12? Or possibly John 1:46.

shnarkle

I know, right. So far, no one has been charged with insurrection.
There are quite a few still being held in jail though, and none of them are the ring leaders. The one's who masterminded this whole thing aren't even named, indicted or being held at all.