Just one-third of U.S. Catholics agree with their church that Eucharist is body, blood of Christ

Doug

Transubstantiation – the idea that during Mass, the bread and wine used for Communion become the body and blood of Jesus Christ – is central to the Catholic faith. Indeed, the Catholic Church teaches that “the Eucharist is ‘the source and summit of the Christian life.’”

But a new Pew Research Center survey finds that most self-described Catholics don’t believe this core teaching. In fact, nearly seven-in-ten Catholics (69%) say they personally believe that during Catholic Mass, the bread and wine used in Communion “are symbols of the body and blood of Jesus Christ.” Just one-third of U.S. Catholics (31%) say they believe that “during Catholic Mass, the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus.”

------------------------------------

There is hope. Most Catholics see through this false teaching........

Nondenom40

Transubstantiation – the idea that during Mass, the bread and wine used for Communion become the body and blood of Jesus Christ – is central to the Catholic faith. Indeed, the Catholic Church teaches that “the Eucharist is ‘the source and summit of the Christian life.’”

But a new Pew Research Center survey finds that most self-described Catholics don’t believe this core teaching. In fact, nearly seven-in-ten Catholics (69%) say they personally believe that during Catholic Mass, the bread and wine used in Communion “are symbols of the body and blood of Jesus Christ.” Just one-third of U.S. Catholics (31%) say they believe that “during Catholic Mass, the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus.”

Hopefully people are waking up and realizing the foolishness of eating god. Now God just needs to open their eyes to the truth of the gospel so that they are saved and leave that institution.

RayneBeau

I'm surprised that many believe in the man-made Roman Catholic myth of "transubstantiation." Those that say they believe in it are most likely the mentally infirm Roman Catholics who believe whatever the RCC tells them because they are afraid that if they don't they will go to hell for eternity.

romishpopishorganist

Statistics, as is widely known, can be made to say anything you want them to say.

Only 1/3 of Catholics believe in Transubstantiation. Ultimately, if this is true, then the majority of Catholics, are, in fact, Protestant. Wide is the path that leads to destruction, narrow the path to life.

But--I do have some questions.

1) When these surveys are done, do they include active Catholics--that is--Catholics who attend Mass regularly, or are they just representative of anyone and everyone who calls themselves Catholic?

2) If the survey represents active Catholics, of these active Catholics, are we talking about Catholics who actually believe Catholicism in general? In other words--do these Catholics represent faithful Catholics who tend to believe Church teaching, or does it represent cafeteria Catholics like Joe Biden who think they can be Catholic and believe whatever they want?

You see the issue; the survey results may be too broad. What I would like to see is a survey of Catholics who are active in their Faith, attending Mass regularly, and tend to believe Church teaching.

And even there--of the Catholics who reject Transubstantiation, is it Transubstantiation they are really rejecting, or are they rejecting a faulty understanding of the doctrine?

But either way, what difference does it make? Again, wide the path that leads to destruction. I will gladly stand with the minority.

mica

Statistics, as is widely known, can be made to say anything you want them to say.

Only 1/3 of Catholics believe in Transubstantiation. Ultimately, if this is true, then the majority of Catholics, are, in fact, Protestant. Wide is the path that leads to destruction, narrow the path to life.
so some catholics don't like those 'other' catholics/protestants so much... otoh, so many catholics on here have posted that those who have left the RCC are still catholic - even if they don't know they're still catholic, etc.

And even there--of the Catholics who reject Transubstantiation, is it Transubstantiation they are really rejecting, or are they rejecting a faulty understanding of the doctrine?

But either way, what difference does it make? Again, wide the path that leads to destruction. I will gladly stand with the minority.
yes it is. that's the path those who believe the words of men are taking.

but catholics always post / claim their high numbers as support / proof that their church is His church!

now you're claiming to be in the minority...

romishpopishorganist

so some Catholics don't like those 'other' Catholics/protestants so much... otoh, so many Catholics on here have posted that those who have left the RCC are still catholic - even if they don't know they're still catholic, etc.

Indeed they are; in the sense that a wayward child is still their parents child. Practically speaking, however, they are Protestant.

Why the fact that they are still Catholic in the sense that a wayward child is still the child of their parents matters is that they can repent of their errors and come home anytime. There is no RCIA process, etc, that they would need to go through.
Yes it is. that's the path those who believe the words of men are taking.

Those who believe the words of men are many; they are on the wide path. Catholics are on the straight and narrow parth.
but Catholics always post / claim their high numbers as support / proof that their church is His church! Now you're claiming to be in the minority...

I do not know what Catholics you are talking about or where. Numbers to me do not mean a thing; what matters is Truth, not numbers.

4Him

Administrator
Staff member

That is about having faith, not about transubstantiation. Catholics have no shame in the way they handle the word of God.

How do you know you aren't trotting down the wide path...

romishpopishorganist

That is about having faith, not about transubstantiation.

Yes; and Faith in God's Word. In other words---Faith that when Jesus says "This is my body, this is my blood" that it is, in fact, exactly what Jesus said it is.

Now, a question: who takes Jesus at his word, and who doesn't? Who takes Jesus at His Word, and who redefines is to mean anything other than is?

Indeed, this is about Faith, 4-Him. Out of the mouths of babes.......as the saying goes.
Catholics have no shame in the way they handle the word of God.

Right again! My gosh, 4-Him, you are batting 2 for 2 today!

Indeed, guilty as charged! I take no shame in believing what Jesus says.
How do you know you aren't trotting down the wide path...
In the end, knowledge of what path you are on is subjective.

Thus, I just know. That is the best I can tell you.

4Him

Administrator
Staff member

Theophilos

Less than one third of Catholics are practicing their faith. Similar statistics exist for non-Catholics as well.

Many countries in Europe are nominally Christian but only a minority profess basic Christian beliefs.

balshan

1) When these surveys are done, do they include active Catholics--that is--Catholics who attend Mass regularly, or are they just representative of anyone and everyone who calls themselves Catholic?

2) If the survey represents active Catholics, of these active Catholics, are we talking about Catholics who actually believe Catholicism in general? In other words--do these Catholics represent faithful Catholics who tend to believe Church teaching, or does it represent cafeteria Catholics like Joe Biden who think they can be Catholic and believe whatever they want?

You see the issue; the survey results may be too broad. What I would like to see is a survey of Catholics who are active in their Faith, attending Mass regularly, and tend to believe Church teaching.

Yes wide is the path and the RCC is taking the wide path with their false doctrines. It amazes me how RCs don't like to see the facts. They are always looking for the mitigating circumstances. I mean they do not like to acknowledge that their doctrines are false, the claims of their institution are false, that most RCs don't agree with the teachings.

But do they ignore the facts that their was a drop in RC numbers because they couldn't get divorce, that one must have affected their bottom line because the grounds for annulments were broaden and the number granted increase. There are teachings that are ignored and that is okay, others were they will adapted so that they can pretend the teachings are not being ignored.

I mean remember when one had to go to confession before having communion. Do they still run confessions why the mass is being celebrated?

I don't know if it them seeing the truth or just ignoring it. I mean I have RC friends who go to mediums and seances. I know I was taught these are a big no, no. It would be interesting to see the other questions asked.

Doug

The Catholic Church considers them all Catholic, despite whatever you claim.

Doug

Less than one third of Catholics are practicing their faith. Similar statistics exist for non-Catholics as well.

Many countries in Europe are nominally Christian but only a minority profess basic Christian beliefs.

Isn't it comforting to know the self professed One True Church isn't any better than her daughters?

RiJoRi

This from the person who in their posts lumps all Protestants together as Bible - thumping Jack Chick aficionados?
😊 😁 😂 🤣

(And, RPO, that is the way you come across. 🙄)

Maxtar

This is an old study, I heard about this month's ago. Sounds like they should just leave the Church if they can't believe one of Jesus's most holy teachings.

Maxtar

He doesn't teach that, the RCC men do.
We all know that is what you do. Following all those men post 1500 who came up with their take on things and this truth cannot be argued or removed from the history of Christianity.

romishpopishorganist

Yes; only technically however.

Technicalities don't save people. Faith is what saves. If someone lacks Faith, they cannot be saved.

They are "Catholic" in the sense that they were baptized into the Catholic family. Once you become part of a family you can do nothing to change that. Wayward children are still part of the family in which they were born/adopted.

B

Bonlee1

Technicalities don't save people. Faith is what saves. If someone lacks Faith, they cannot be saved.
Has nothing at all to do with regards to what Doug posted.
They are "Catholic" in the sense that they were baptized into the Catholic family. Once you become part of a family you can do nothing to change that. Wayward children are still part of the family in which they were born/adopted.
Belonging to HIM out trumps being a member of any 'family' - be it a church or an earthly family by birth/ adopted.

Galatians 3:

22But Scripture has locked up everything under the control of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe. 23Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. 26So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith,

mica

Doug said:
catholic technicalities mean nothing. they're made up by men.

no they don't. and catholics have lots of technicalities. Faith in the RCC, pope, Mary etc saves no one. That's what catholics have.

Those without faith in Christ are the ones who need it. Those who have faith in Christ (not man) are saved.

They are "Catholic" in the sense that they were baptized into the Catholic family.
iow, made up by the catholic men. water baptism makes no one part of a family. Many walk away from the RCC. many run away from it. More should run away from it. It's a dysfunctional 'family'.

Once you become part of a family you can do nothing to change that. Wayward children are still part of the family in which they were born/adopted.
Sure you can, from the fake man made family. catholics are controlled by a dictatorship. It is not of God.