JW confusion concerning Titus 2:14

Fred

Big mess for the JW's.
A. The flip-flop

Titus 2:14 in the 1985 New World Translation
who gave himself for us that he might deliver us from every sort of lawlessness and cleanse for himself a people peculiarly his own, zealous for fine works.

1. The Jehovah's Witnesses make it clear that the pronoun "his" refers to Jehovah.
Kingdom Ministry—1979: This month we will have many occasions to demonstrate our zeal for Jehovah by our preaching and disciple-making work. May we continue to be a "people peculiarly his own, zealous for fine works."—Titus 2:14. (Zealously Preaching and Making Disciples, page 3)

2. The Jehovah's Witness make it clear that the pronoun "his" refers to Christ.
The Watchtower: The apostle Paul states that Christ has cleansed for himself "a people peculiarly his own, zealous for good works." (Titus 2:14) (Youths, Make It Your Choice to Serve Jehovah, July 1, 2006, page 30)

The mess for the JW's gets worse.
B. That Christians are the "special possession" of Christ demonstrates our worship of the Lord Jesus.

Titus 2:14 in the 2013 New World Translation
who gave himself for us to set us free from every sort of lawlessness and to cleanse for himself a people who are his own special possession, zealous for fine works.

Titus Study Notes—Chapter 2: Christ's followers have been cleansed and “set free” by means of the “precious blood” of his ransom sacrifice. (1 Pe 1:18, 19; Heb 9:14) So they can rightly be called "his own special possession." According to one lexicon, the Greek word Paul uses for "his own special possession" can include the idea of being a “costly possession and a distinctive treasure.” This wording echoes what Jehovah told the ancient nation of Israel: "You will certainly become my special property [or, "my treasured possession"] out of all peoples. (Ex 19:5; see also De 7:6; 14:2.)
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001070802

The Watchtower: At Mount Sinai, he said to them: “If you will strictly obey my voice and will indeed keep my covenant, then you will certainly become my special property out of all other peoples, because the whole earth belongs to me.” (Ex. 19:5) In the book of Deuteronomy the expression "a special property" occurs three times, and the context in each instance strongly emphasizes the right viewpoint and course of action as to worship and ownership. (Deut. 7:6; 14:2; 26:18) (Settling the Issue of Ownership, October 1, 1974, page 597-598)

Based on the evidence from their own writings, Jesus is Jehovah and should be worshiped.

Last edited:
Big mess for the JW's.
A. The flip-flop

Titus 2:14 in the 1985 New World Translation
who gave himself for us that he might deliver us from every sort of lawlessness and cleanse for himself a people peculiarly his own, zealous for fine works.

1. The Jehovah's Witnesses make it clear that the pronoun "his" refers to Jehovah.
Kingdom Ministry—1979: This month we will have many occasions to demonstrate our zeal for Jehovah by our preaching and disciple-making work. May we continue to be a "people peculiarly his own, zealous for fine works."—Titus 2:14. (Zealously Preaching and Making Disciples, page 3)

2. The Jehovah's Witness make it clear that the pronoun "his" refers to Christ.
The Watchtower: The apostle Paul states that Christ has cleansed for himself "a people peculiarly his own, zealous for good works." (Titus 2:14) (Youths, Make It Your Choice to Serve Jehovah, July 1, 2006, page 30)

The mess for the JW's gets worse.
B. That Christians are the "special possession" of Christ demonstrates our worship of the Lord Jesus.

Titus 2:14 in the 2013 New World Translation
who gave himself for us to set us free from every sort of lawlessness and to cleanse for himself a people who are his own special possession, zealous for fine works.

Titus Study Notes—Chapter 2: Christ's followers have been cleansed and “set free” by means of the “precious blood” of his ransom sacrifice. (1 Pe 1:18, 19; Heb 9:14) So they can rightly be called "his own special possession." According to one lexicon, the Greek word Paul uses for "his own special possession" can include the idea of being a “costly possession and a distinctive treasure.” This wording echoes what Jehovah told the ancient nation of Israel: "You will certainly become my special property [or, "my treasured possession"] out of all peoples. (Ex 19:5; see also De 7:6; 14:2.)
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1001070802

The Watchtower: At Mount Sinai, he said to them: “If you will strictly obey my voice and will indeed keep my covenant, then you will certainly become my special property out of all other peoples, because the whole earth belongs to me.” (Ex. 19:5) In the book of Deuteronomy the expression "a special property" occurs three times, and the context in each instance strongly emphasizes the right viewpoint and course of action as to worship and ownership. (Deut. 7:6; 14:2; 26:18) (Settling the Issue of Ownership, October 1, 1974, page 597-598)

Based on the evidence from their own writings, Jesus is Jehovah and should be worshiped.

You are just twisting it. YHWH is not Jesus to a JW, so as usual you twist what you cannot understand because you live in darkness. Is not Jesus-Gods image? That is the context you fail to see.

You are just twisting it.

No, I quoted what the JW's affirmed.

YHWH is not Jesus to a JW

I know that is what they teach, but what they sometimes affirm elsewhere contradicts that.

, so as usual you twist what you cannot understand

You haven't given an example.

because you live in darkness.

You need a mirror.

Is not Jesus-Gods image?

Yes.
You do know what singular pronouns are, right?

That is the context you fail to see.

Be specific as to where.

No, I quoted what the JW's affirmed.

I know that is what they teach, but what they sometimes affirm elsewhere contradicts that.

You haven't given an example.

You need a mirror.

Yes.
You do know what singular pronouns are, right?

Be specific as to where.
Him that is true=his, not Jesus.

Its obvious verse 14 is speaking of Jesus.

Agree. Just another example (among many) that the JW's flip-flopped on.

And by the way, since it does refer to the Lord Jesus this demonstrates He is the proiper recipient of worship. See part B of the OP.

Agree. Just another example (among many) that the JW's flip-flopped on.

And by the way, since it does refer to the Lord Jesus this demonstrates He is the proiper recipient of worship. See part B of the OP.

It doesn't mention worship there--Why do you keep adding things that aren't real?

It doesn't mention prayer or worship in Nehemiah 5:19.

Was Nehemiah praying to God in Nehemiah 5:19?

Ask the JW's. They affirmed this expression entails worship.
Hard to get light into your darkness--No JW on earth worships Jesus=100% fact. We bow to him in obeisance, he is our king.

Hard to get light into your darkness--

Which is why you avoided answering this question:

No JW on earth worships Jesus=100% fact.

January 2021
The Watchtower: At the Memorial, we have the opportunity to praise God and Christ in song and prayer. (The Great Crowd of Other Sheep Praise God and Christ, Study Article 3, page 18)

Which is why you avoided answering this question:

January 2021
The Watchtower: At the Memorial, we have the opportunity to praise God and Christ in song and prayer. (The Great Crowd of Other Sheep Praise God and Christ, Study Article 3, page 18)

Praise is not worship--worship is worship. God shared-glory and honor with his son, but not worship. Like if i gave you praise and said--( example) very good Fred you taught a truth--it is not worship. it is praise. You twist in false reasoning.

Prayer is worship as well.

The Watchtower: Every prayer is a form of worship. (Should You Pray to Jesus?, December 15, 1994, page 23)
We do not pray to Jesus--stop being a deceiver--did you not listen to Jesus when he told the pharisees off because they were deceivers? He told them their Father was the devil.

We do not pray to Jesus

January 1, 1983
All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial: Paul expresses the prayer that the Lord of peace may give them "peace constantly in every way," and he concludes his letter with greetings in his own hand—2 Thess. 3:16. (Bible Book Number 53—2 Thessalonians, page 233)

Who is "the Lord of peace" Paul prayed to in 2 Thessalonians 3:16?
The Watchtower: Even as Jehovah is the God of peace, so his Son, Jesus Christ, is the "Prince of peace," and the "Lord of peace." (Isa. 9:6; 2 Thess. 3:16) (The Christians' Possession of Peace, August 15, 1966, page 486)

January 1, 1983
All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial: Paul expresses the prayer that the Lord of peace may give them "peace constantly in every way," and he concludes his letter with greetings in his own hand—2 Thess. 3:16. (Bible Book Number 53—2 Thessalonians, page 233)

Who is "the Lord of peace" Paul prayed to in 2 Thessalonians 3:16?
The Watchtower: Even as Jehovah is the God of peace, so his Son, Jesus Christ, is the "Prince of peace," and the "Lord of peace." (Isa. 9:6; 2 Thess. 3:16) (The Christians' Possession of Peace, August 15, 1966, page 486)
No Israelite ever prayed to anyone other than YHWH. While praying to the God of Israel--Psalm 45:7--he knew 100% the Messiah has a God--God does not have a God. So the bible proves your error as usual.

Back