keeping the commandments

dberrie2020

Why doesn't reformed theology link keeping the commandments with entering into life?

Matthew 19:16-19----King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

brightfame52

Why doesn't reformed theology link keeping the commandments with entering into life?

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
For the true Christian Christ has fulfilled the whole law for them so they have right to enter into eternal life.

dberrie2020

For the true Christian Christ has fulfilled the whole law for them so they have right to enter into eternal life.
Speaking of the Mosaic Law, which not capable of bringing eternal life--that is true.

How are you relating that to the command to keep the commandments--linked to the gospel and eternal life?

1 John 2:3-4---King James Version (KJV)
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version (KJV)

1 Corinthians 7:19---King James Version (KJV)

19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

Revelation22:14--KJV
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

John 14:15--King James Version (KJV)
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Revelation 12:17--King James Version (KJV)
17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

1 John 5:3--King James Version (KJV)
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

1 John 3:24--King James Version (KJV)
24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

John 14:21---King James Version (KJV)
21, He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

brightfame52

Speaking of the Mosaic Law, which not capable of bringing eternal life--that is true.

How are you relating that to the command to keep the commandments--linked to the gospel and eternal life?

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

21, He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
The mosaic law pointed to Christ. It was a school master to Christ. The Moral Law was kept by Christ for His People. Christ satisfied the justice due for the breaking of God's Law for His People.

dberrie2020

The mosaic law pointed to Christ. It was a school master to Christ. The Moral Law was kept by Christ for His People. Christ satisfied the justice due for the breaking of God's Law for His People.
Again--how does that preclude the testimony of the Biblical NT--in connecting keeping the commandments with eternal life?

civic

Once again you avoid the CONTEXT so here is the context of those words you RIPPED out of context to form your false doctrine.

Mark 10:13-27
13 People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16 And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

17 As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" 18 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 "You know the commandments, ' DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'" 20 And he said to Him, "Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up." 21 Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." 22 But at these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.

23 And Jesus, looking around, * said to His disciples, "A How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!" 24 The disciples A were amazed at His words. But Jesus * answered again and said to them, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." 26 They were even more astonished and said to Him, " Then who can be saved?" 27 Looking at them, Jesus said, "With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God."

Jesus point in His questioning of the ruler was rhetorical in nature. Do you know who you are calling good? Only God is good. He was saying to the ruler "Do you know who I Am and who you are speaking too? If you read on it becomes obvious for Jesus turned him away from gaining eternal life. He knew what was in his heart and keeping him away from the kingdom. Only God knows what is in mans heart and can allow a person into His Kingdom. Jesus was clearly claiming to be God in this passage.

No prophet, apostle or teacher has ever talked in this presumptuous way in which Jesus did in the gospels and especially in this passage in the synoptic gospel. The young ruler runs up to Jesus kneels to Him in worship and asks Him how can I obtain eternal life? Jesus answers back and said come "Follow ME!" Do you see what Jesus is claiming? He does not say, these are the teachings that God has given me or follow these rules and you will get into heaven. He did not say to follow God or submit to God. Jesus tells the man to follow Me! Only God has that prerogative.

He was saying indirectly to the ruler, know that whom you are speaking to is God. He was letting the young ruler understand who he was talking to and addressing as good. Look at it this way, Is He saying He is not good, and therefore not God? Or is He saying that He is good, and the reason this man can call Him good is because He is God? I opt for the second statement.

Let’s examine the context of the passage and what is going on when this man approaches Jesus. He says why do you call me good and points out to the man that only God is good. The man is unaware of His identity which Jesus who knew men’s hearts was aware of with the young ruler. This man thought of Jesus as just a mere man and not the Son of God. Jesus response was not one of denying His own sinlessness or deity. The context clearly shows just the opposite to be true. Jesus claims absolute authority over the young ruler by asking him to come and Follow Me. To call Him "good teacher" you better recognize who you are speaking to and this is exactly the point Jesus was getting across to the young ruler. Jesus is eternal life and the man was unaware of this truth which is rather obvious by his questions.

How does one obtain eternal life? Jesus confronted him with His Lordship when He said come and follow Me. Jesus confronted the man's sin of covetousness. It was a sin of indulgence and materialism. He was indifferent to people who were poor and in need. So Jesus gave him the ultimate test, would he obey His Lordship? The antis and non trins get all hung up on who is good and cannot see past the plank in their own eyes to see what one must do to be saved. They're still in an unbelieving state and miss out on eternal life from its very source, Jesus. Rather sad indeed.

If we further examine the context of the question asked by the young ruler in verse 13 we read; people were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, He was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16 And He took the children in His arms, put His hands on them and blessed them. 17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to Him and fell on his knees before Him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 18 "Why do you call Me good?" Jesus answered. Let’s see what question was asked of Jesus. How can I get eternal life?" is the question. "Follow ME!" is the answer that he gets from Jesus. Do you see what He is claiming? He does NOT say, these are the teachings that God has given Me. Follow these rules and you will get to heaven. He did not say, "follow God or submit to God", but he said "Follow ME!". Jesus is Lord and had the authority to ask of mankind, Follow Me!

John 1:6-8
John. 7 He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through Him. 8 He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.

John 5:39-40
39 " You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

John 8:14
" Even if I testify about Myself, My testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from or where I am going.

John 8:18-20
18 I am one who testifies for Myself; My other witness is the Father, who sent Me."

19 Then they asked Him, "Where is your father?"

"You do not know Me or my Father," Jesus replied. "If you knew Me, you would know My Father also."

Luke 24:27
Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

Luke 24:44-45
44 Now He said to them, " These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,

hope this helps !!!

dberrie2020

Once again you avoid the CONTEXT so here is the context of those words you RIPPED out of context to form your false doctrine.

Mark 10:13-27
13 People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16 And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

17 As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" 18 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. 19 "You know the commandments, ' DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, Do not defraud, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.'" 20 And he said to Him, "Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up." 21 Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." 22 But at these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.

23 And Jesus, looking around, * said to His disciples, "A How hard it will be for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!" 24 The disciples A were amazed at His words. But Jesus * answered again and said to them, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! 25 “It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." 26 They were even more astonished and said to Him, " Then who can be saved?" 27 Looking at them, Jesus said, "With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God."
Civic--how are you claiming any of your scriptures somehow cover up or cancel out the testimony of the Savior here?

"Out of context" is the usual claim whenever someone posts a Biblical verse which violates their theology--and they have no other way to expunge their theology but to cry--"out of context".

civic

Civic--how are you claiming any of your scriptures somehow cover up or cancel out the testimony of the Savior here?

"Out of context" is the usual claim whenever someone posts a Biblical verse which violates their theology--and they have no other way to expunge their theology but to cry--"out of context".
Try reading the passage in its context and understand why Jesus refused to grant him eternal life. The young ruler said he kept all the commandments and the disciples questioned Jesus after and what did Jesus say to them ?

5 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 26 They were even more astonished and said to Him, “Then who can be saved?” 27 Looking at them, Jesus *said, “With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.”

The ENTIRE passage contradicts what you claim and actually declarers just the opposite of what you believe regarding keeping the commandments to obtain eternal life-salvation..

dberrie2020

Try reading the passage in its context and understand why Jesus refused to grant him eternal life
I don't find anything saying Jesus refused him eternal life--but I do find the answer Jesus gave to his question:

How do we fit that into Reformed theology?

civic

I don't find anything saying Jesus refused him eternal life--but I do find the answer Jesus gave to his question:

How do we fit that into Reformed theology?
I see you left out the entire context of my post just the same you do with scripture. That is very telling. You cannot see the forest through the trees.

dberrie2020

I see you left out the entire context of my post just the same you do with scripture. That is very telling. You cannot see the forest through the trees.
The scripture is plain enough that there is no need to add a context--it's plain enough just as it is, IMO:

And--it violates Reformed theology. Is that why you feel there is a need to add something to it?

praise_yeshua

Self awareness.

When you read such things, you should realize your inabilities and weakness to do what is commanded. So YOU... will become guilty before God and realize the one right in front of you speaking, Jesus in the verses you quote, is the ONLY ONE doing what YOU CAN'T.

Instead most refuse to admit their inabilities and seek to justify themselves in their own actions...

Instead of seeing a wonderful Savior that did it ALL for us.

dberrie2020

Self awareness.

When you read such things, you should realize your inabilities and weakness to do what is commanded. So YOU... will become guilty before God and realize the one right in front of you speaking, Jesus in the verses you quote, is the ONLY ONE doing what YOU CAN'T.

Instead most refuse to admit their inabilities and seek to justify themselves in their own actions...

Instead of seeing a wonderful Savior that did it ALL for us.
I don't disagree with all your post above, and I do believe God made it all available to mankind--but I would like to ask a question of you about the embolden part---

If God did indeed do it all for us--then why are all judged according to their own works--after death--and that for life or damnation?

John 5:28-29---King James Version
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

How do we fit that into faith alone theology?

praise_yeshua

I don't disagree with all your post above, and I do believe God made it all available to mankind--but I would like to ask a question of you about the embolden part---

If God did indeed do it all for us--then why are all judged according to their own works--after death--and that for life or damnation?

John 5:28-29---King James Version
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

How do we fit that into faith alone theology?

After seeing ourselves for what we are. What mankind is. We are judged by the work of another and our acceptance of that work.

Joh 6:29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”

No righteous man embellishes or exaggerates their own efforts. They diminish them so that no work remains except for the work of God in Christ.

dberrie2020

After seeing ourselves for what we are. What mankind is. We are judged by the work of another and our acceptance of that work.

Joh 6:29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”

No righteous man embellishes or exaggerates their own efforts. They diminish them so that no work remains except for the work of God in Christ.
Could you explain for us how belief in Christ precludes the Savior's testimony --or the other testimonies regarding judgment?

John 5:28-29----King James Version (KJV)
29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

That testifies all will be judged according to works--after death--and that for life or damnation.

How do you fit that into faith alone theology?

How does that differ from other testimonies?

2 Corinthians 5:10---King James Version (KJV)
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

1 Peter 1:16-17---King James Version (KJV)

16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Romans 2:5-11----King James Version (KJV)
5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

praise_yeshua

Could you explain for us how belief in Christ precludes the Savior's testimony --or the other testimonies regarding judgment?

29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

That testifies all will be judged according to works--after death--and that for life or damnation.

How do you fit that into faith alone theology?

How does that differ from other testimonies?

2 Corinthians 5:10---King James Version (KJV)
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

I posted this in another thread. It is the WORK of God that you believe upon Jesus Christ.

You're duty is to seek God and believe Him.

As far as your "works"? IF, a man is judged by his own efforts, then man is hopeless.

Why do you believe you're good? Everything about you is weak. Everything.

dberrie2020

I posted this in another thread. It is the WORK of God that you believe upon Jesus Christ.
It's not the work of God all men are judged for--it's their own actions:

You're duty is to seek God and believe Him.

As far as your "works"? IF, a man is judged by his own efforts, then man is hopeless.

If the testimony of God, and the Savior is true--all men will be judged according to works--as has been posted:

2Cor5:10--(KJV)

Why do you believe the way of God is hopeless?

Yeshua--I believe what you might mean, is--- it's hopeless inside your theology? Certainly, you don't believe God has a plan for man which is hopeless?

praise_yeshua

It's not the work of God all men are judged for--it's their own actions:

If the testimony of God, and the Savior is true--all men will be judged according to works--as has been posted:

2Cor5:10--(KJV)

Why do you believe the way of God is hopeless?

Yeshua--I believe what you might mean, is--- it's hopeless inside your theology? Certainly, you don't believe God has a plan for man which is hopeless?

No. It was a logical argument.

What good thing have you done to inherit Eternal Life? Go ahead and list a few.

dberrie2020

What good thing have you done to inherit Eternal Life? Go ahead and list a few.
What good things I do or don't do--has nothing to do with the testimony of the scriptures that all men will be judged according to works--after death--and that for life or damnation:

How are you relating the two?

CrowCross

Why do cults such as Mormons say to keep the commandments when they always fail...then hold it in front of true christians as some sort of gottcha statement?