Klaus

LifeIn

I highly recommend the 2019 film Klaus, available on Netflix. It is an alternate origin story for Santa Claus legends with a very original story line.

En Hakkore

I highly recommend the 2019 film Klaus, available on Netflix. It is an alternate origin story for Santa Claus legends with a very original story line.
Thanks for the recommend... I watch very few animated films these days and I prefer 'darker' Christmas movies, those that subvert conventions of the genre or focus on Saint Nicholas' counterpart Krampus. My current favorite in terms of such films is the Australian-American dark comedy Better Watch Out (2016) --- unfortunately I cannot link to the trailer as even its content is not PG per forum rules (it is not a Krampus film, incidentally). My second pick and whose American trailer is borderline acceptable (I originally linked to it but decided to edit it out just in case it offended anyone) is the Finnish dark fantasy film Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010). It preceded the American Krampus cycle of movies by a few years with the unearthing of a dark Santa Claus (Joulupukki in Finnish). Both films are currently on tubi with commercials or on Amazon Prime subscription... both are also rated 18+ so if you are ok with that, I recommend these unconventional Christmas movies.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Last edited:

LifeIn

Thanks for the recommend... I watch very few animated films these days and I prefer 'darker' Christmas movies, those that subvert conventions of the genre or focus on Saint Nicholas' counterpart Krampus. My current favorite in terms of such films is the Australian-American dark comedy Better Watch Out (2016) --- unfortunately I cannot link to the trailer as even its content is not PG per forum rules (it is not a Krampus film, incidentally). My second pick and whose American trailer is borderline acceptable (I originally linked to it but decided to edit it out just in case it offended anyone) is the Finnish dark fantasy film Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010). It preceded the American Krampus cycle of movies by a few years with the unearthing of a dark Santa Claus (Joulupukki in Finnish). Both films are currently on tubi with commercials or on Amazon Prime subscription... both are also rated 18+ so if you are ok with that, I recommend these unconventional Christmas movies.

Kind regards,
Jonathan
I think you will find some very dark elements in Klaus, even if it is not dark through and through. It is very unconventional.