Koine Sentences

The Real John Milton

I'm glad you caught the error with the relative pronoun. Also you forgot the augment for ἀνέκριναν. You could also have used a participial phrase, τοὖ κηρυσσομένου αὐτοῖς τὸ εὐαγγέλιον. But either way works fine. It is also strikes me that one could also write οὗ, the genitive, by way of attraction with the antecedent, fairly common throughout Greek literature, including the NT.
Good point.

ὁ λαὸς ανακρίναν ἀκριβῶς τοὺς λόγους τοῦ ἀποστόλου οὗ ἐκήρυσσεν αὐτοῖς τὸ εὐαγγέλιον.

Infact it sounds better this way.

The Real John Milton

I'm glad you caught the error with the relative pronoun. Also you forgot the augment for ἀνέκριναν. You could also have used a participial phrase, τοὖ κηρυσσομένου αὐτοῖς τὸ εὐαγγέλιον. But either way works fine. It is also strikes me that one could also write οὗ, the genitive, by way of attraction with the antecedent, fairly common throughout Greek literature, including the NT.

ανακρίναν also works. Here:

3 pl, ανέκριναν, ανακρίναν(ε), ανάκριναν

The Real John Milton

υἱός κακός ἐστιν ὡς νόσος πατασσει τῇ καρδίᾳ πατρὸς, ἀλλά υἱός ἀγαθός ἐστιν αὐτῷ ὡς ψυχρα πνοή ἐν ἡμέρᾳ ζεστῇ .

Gryllus Maior

υἱός κακός ἐστιν ὡς νόσος πατασσει τῇ καρδίᾳ πατρὸς, ἀλλά υἱός ἀγαθός ἐστιν αὐτῷ ὡς ψυχρα πνοή ἐν ἡμέρᾳ ζεστῇ .
When Jesus makes comparisons in the gospels, he often uses ὅμοιος + dative, and I wonder if that wouldn't be better here? At any rate, πατάσσει should be a participle, not a finite verb, and takes the accusative, not the dative. In clauses where the same verb is repeated, one of them is often understood, so you could have eliminated the second ἐστίν. Idiomatically for "hot day" I would have used καύσων, something like ἐπὶ καύσωνα.

The Real John Milton

When Jesus makes comparisons in the gospels, he often uses ὅμοιος + dative, and I wonder if that wouldn't be better here? At any rate, πατάσσει should be a participle, not a finite verb, and takes the accusative, not the dative. In clauses where the same verb is repeated, one of them is often understood, so you could have eliminated the second ἐστίν. Idiomatically for "hot day" I would have used καύσων, something like ἐπὶ καύσωνα.

Yes, good points...

υἱός κακός ὅμοιος ἐστιν νόσῳ πατασσουσῃ (sp?) τὴν καρδίαν πατρὸς, ἀλλά υἱός ἀγαθός ἐστιν αὐτῷ ὅμοιος ψυχρᾷ πνοῇ ἐπὶ καύσωνα.