Lambda variant shows vaccine resistance

Torin

Stay safe.

Whateverman

Stay safe.

The last two weeks have seen some experts warning about a scenario like this; delta spreading rapidly through the unvaccinated population, creating an opportunity for a vaccine-resistant strain to emerge.

Torin

The last two weeks have seen some experts warning about a scenario like this; delta spreading rapidly through the unvaccinated population, creating an opportunity for a vaccine-resistant strain to emerge.
Well I think this one took off in South America, in Peru. There may just not be much vaccine availability there.

Authentic Nouveau

Stay safe.

ww.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.28.454085v1[/URL]
bioRxiv posts many COVID19-related papers. A reminder: they have not been formally peer-reviewed and should not guide health-related behavior or be reported in the press as conclusive.
Your link colored the disclaimer. Speculation and guesswork stages.

So what are your Med Tech ASCP credentials?

Whateverman

Well I think this one took off in South America, in Peru. There may just not be much vaccine availability there.
There was a story earlier today about people in other countries paying lots of money to get vaccinated, while here in the US, we're paying people to get vaccinated. It's a weird world...

For sure, vaccine availability is limited in many places. Complain though we might about vaccine hesitancy here, all a new strain needs to be able to emerge is an unvaccinated population - here or anywhere else. If it's a vaccine-resistant strain, though, that seems to imply vaccine exposure in the population the strain emerges from.

Regardless of the details, a new strain like this is bad news...

Torin

There was a story earlier today about people in other countries paying lots of money to get vaccinated, while here in the US, we're paying people to get vaccinated. It's a weird world...

For sure, vaccine availability is limited in many places. Complain though we might about vaccine hesitancy here, all a new strain needs to be able to emerge is an unvaccinated population - here or anywhere else. If it's a vaccine-resistant strain, though, that seems to imply vaccine exposure in the population the strain emerges from.

Regardless of the details, a new strain like this is bad news...
It is, yeah. For once I hope AN is right and the research team that reported this result made some sort of error that was amplified by a reputable press agency. I doubt it...

DeSanto

Stay safe.

Oh man. Ive heard predictions about Lambda being the next variant pushed, after Delta. I was going to say something, but it came from an anonymous source that claims to have insider information and, well... unless it’s an anti-trump anonymous insider... they don’t carry much weight around here.

But this insider source hasn’t been debunked yet. Check for that Lambda prediction ✅

Next... earthquake

We’ll see