Lazarus ....!

And lets not forget the purpose above in conjunction with this below

Ephesians 1:13-14
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.
Let's also not forget belief is something granted by God.

Let's also not forget belief is something granted by God.
I understand that position but between the arminians and calvinists that is debatable. Both groups would be in agreement that Gods grace proceeds belief- without God acting first no one would believe.

👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆 Philippians 1:29
Are you suffering for Christ like the Apostles and christians under nero ?

faith and suffering are a package deal in that passage. :) They go hand in hand with the granting by God.

Phil 1:29

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

faith and suffering are a package deal in that passage. :) They go hand in hand with the granting by God.

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;
Obviously written to Christains in a different era. Point being it was GIVEN in the behalf of Christ not only TO BELIEVE on Him...."

Obviously written to Christains in a different era. Point being it was GIVEN in the behalf of Christ not only TO BELIEVE on Him...."
and to suffer- its not an either or its both.

so if faith is granted so is suffering- if one is using that passage to claim their faith is granted then suffering goes together with that faith. :)

and to suffer- its not an either or its both.

so if faith is granted so is suffering- if one is using that passage to claim their faith is granted then suffering goes together with that faith. :)
If you do suffer. Because your given belief does not mean your going to suffer. If I an not given belief but do believe I will not suffer??

Any persecution any believer goes through in any era is just as much a gift as believing is. Many are being persecuted for their beliefs and just because I am not at this time or even before does not negate the fact my belief in Him is still a gift from Him.

Any persecution any believer goes through in any era is just as much a gift as believing is. Many are being persecuted for their beliefs and just because I am not at this time or even before does not negate the fact my belief in Him is still a gift from Him.
Either all are granted faith or all are not, either all are granted suffering or all are not. We cannot say some are and some are not and pick between faith and suffering. That is not what that passage says.

If I held to your view I would use a different passage that faith is given or granted. There are better passages to support that argument. :)

Ephesians 1:4
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.

The choosing is for the purpose above would you agree ?

What does that mean to you ?
Those that belong to Him are holy and blameless.

Those that belong to Him are holy and blameless.
Agreed otherwise they are not His chosen. It goes hand in hand with Ephesians 2:10- For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Either all are granted faith or all are not, either all are granted suffering or all are not. We cannot say some are and some are not and pick between faith and suffering. That is not what that passage says.

If I held to your view I would use a different passage that faith is given or granted. There are better passages to support that argument. :)
It's up to you to prove if I am given faith I must necessarily suffer. Is that what it says? To the believers at the church at Philipi they were given faith but also the honor of suffering for our Lord.

Thanks for the advice. But I will pass. Belief/faith is given.

The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.[Romans 8:16-17]

So, if we do not suffer persecution as the Apostles and Christians during Nero’s time, then we will not also be glorified with Him? I trow not!

The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.[Romans 8:16-17]

So, if we do not suffer persecution as the Apostles and Christians during Nero’s time, then we will not also be glorified with Him? I trow not!
The passage clearly says those granted/gifted/given faith and given suffering. Its what the passage says. Believers to whom it was written in Philippi suffered just as Paul in prison suffered. Jesus promised them they will suffer persecution. Believers/disciples were commanded by Jesus to take up their cross daily- die to and for Him. The cross signified a sure death for believers. It was an honor for them to suffer for His sake.

Expositor's Greek Testament
Php 1:29. ὅτι … ἐχαρίσθη. We are inclined to join this clause immediately to μὴ πτυρόμενοι (so also Hpt[81]). The prospect of suffering was apt to terrify them. But when they view suffering in its true light, they will discover that it is a gift of God’s grace (ἐχαρ.) instead of an evil.—τὸ ὑπὲρ κ.τ.λ. The Apostle intended to insert πάσχειν after Χρ., but for a moment he pauses. To emphasise the real value of suffering for Christ’s sake, he compares it with that which they all acknowledge as the crowning blessing of their lives, faith in Him. As to the form of the sentence, this is a favourite rhetorical device of Paul’s. See J. Weiss, Beiträge, p. 11 n.—οὐ μόνον. μή might have been expected. “When a limitation of an infinitive or of its subject is to be negatived rather than the infinitive itself, the negative οὐ is used instead of μή. This principle applies esp[82] in the case of the adverb μόνον” (Burton, MT[83], p. 183).—εἰς αὐτόν. The deepest aspect of faith, the intimate union into which the soul is brought.

If we endure***, we will also reign with Him; If we deny Him, He also will deny us;[2 Timothy 2:12]

***Endure is suffer in the KJV

So, if we do not suffer as they did during Nero’s reign, He will deny us? I trow not!

Back