LDS Must Earn Physical Bodies, Resurrection, and Eternal Life

If a man will enter into life, then he must abide in the law of the gospel, keeping all of the commandments to the end of his mortal life. This is the doctrine of the Prophet Joseph Smith. "I . . . spoke to the people," he says, "showing that to get salvation we must not only do some things, but everything which God has commanded. Men may preach and practice everything except those things which God commands us to do, and will be damned at last. We may tithe mint and rue, and all manner of herbs, and still not obey God."42
42 Joseph Fielding Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 332.

Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, 2:34
What a deceived person he was.

"If you would become a son or a daughter of God and an heir of the kingdom, then you must go to the house of the Lord and receive blessings which there can be obtained and which cannot be obtained elsewhere; and you must keep those commandments and those covenants to the end. . . ."
Doctrines of Salvation, p. 40

What a deceived person he was.

So--would you make the same claim about this Person?

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Colossians 1
9For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness; 12Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

We give thanks to God for what HE hath done and is doing in the ones HE is saving!

And what is your evidence these aren't thankful also?

2 Thessalonians 1:5--King James Version (KJV)
5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

1 Timothy 5:18--King James Version (KJV)
18 For the scripture saith, thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Colossians 1:10--King James Version (KJV)
10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

You can deny it all you want, but your scriptures and practices prove otherwise. There’s a long list of works you have to do to earn your salvation and exaltation. If you don’t earn salvation, you can’t be exalted. You have “saving ordinances” that carry qualifying requirements (work).

Tithing is a qualifying requirement, and a work. You go in every year to report whether you’re paying a full 10% or not. If you refuse to pay tithing, you can’t get your saving ordinances. If you can’t get your saving ordinances, which are also a work, then you can’t get into your temple to get your other ordinances, which are also works, and you can’t be exalted. You do temple “work” for everyone who has died, as well. Because they can’t do their own work to earn their own salvation and exaltation.
There is a huge difference between earn and achieve, seems you have a desire to insert your own opinion into our doctrine which you have apparently never researched... we can attain (achieve) eternal life by doing the following which can also be found in the Bible.

• Believe in Jesus Christ.
  • Be baptised into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
  • Receive the gift of the Holy Ghost through the laying on of hands by a person with priesthood authority.
  • Endure the tests of their life on earth.
LDS Doctrine.

There is a huge difference between earn and achieve, seems you have a desire to insert your own opinion into our doctrine which you have apparently never researched... we can attain (achieve) eternal life by doing the following which can also be found in the Bible.

• Receive the gift of the Holy Ghost through the laying on of hands by a person with priesthood authority.
LDS Doctrine.
I’ve researched mormonism for 71 years, in a very close and personal way. That accusation is as old and tired as I am, Ralf. Try something else.

Some based on their obedience receive rewards greater than others because they earned those rewards, right?
Nope. Individually, no one was blessed with anything that anyone else didn't have. But, again, it's not like this question is new. In Jesus' day, his disciples asked about a man born blind, who did sin, this man (obviously before birth) or his parents? It's not a new question. Jesus healed that man, saying that neither sinned or neither was so "worthy" that these things occurred, but to show forth the glory of God (in healing the infirmity.

We see the man's blindness as his affliction, but the reality is, mortality or our mortal nature is an affliction. We all have need to be healed and only one person can do that. The Savior's ability to heal is not limited to just the blind, but rather to all who receive him. It is obvious that judgment is not immediate upon death. That would be unjust because of the billions upon billions that have never heard the gospel much less given an opportunity to receive it. This opens the door for Christ's saving grace to impact all of God's children (which includes everyone who has ever lived or ever will live on this earth). Now consider who has the greater reward, those who lived without the law, but later received Christ after death or those who had the law but didn't receive Christ?

In this vein, I suspect that the blind man received the greater blessing. Those who did not have the gospel will not experience the wrath that those who did. Your idea of greater rewards has nothing to do with our teachings. Even those who were born in the covenant but didn't live it for whatever reason will have an opportunity to receive just as those who were once disobedient in the days of Noah. Nevertheless, those who will not live the gospel cannot have the blessings of the gospel. No one was predestinated to be saved. We all started in the same place and from there we have to work out our own salvation. Even the chosen could fall. The heavens lament over the fall of Satan who was once called a prince of the morning. He was among the great and noble ones, so don't think that being in that group grants anyone special exceptions or that they have no choice over the direction their life is heading.

Remember, in our religion, the greatest rewards are available to everyone, whether it be the prophet or the deacon, the Muslim or the Hindu. If they keep the commandments they will have life. As I pointed out in several posts, receiving Christ can come at any time and everyone will be granted that opportunity and be taught the gospel, whether in this life or the next, if they receive Christ, the greatest of all blessings will be theirs. According to the scriptures, they will be judged in the flesh, they will live in the spirit the way God does (1 Peter 4:6).

That tells me that those who keep the commandments but did not know Christ only have but to receive Christ to obtain exaltation and we, latter-day saints, get to be part of that by providing the ordinances they could not obtain for themselves because they did not have them. That is how we become saviors on mount zion.

"If you would become a son or a daughter of God and an heir of the kingdom, then you must go to the house of the Lord and receive blessings which there can be obtained and which cannot be obtained elsewhere; and you must keep those commandments and those covenants to the end. . . ."
Doctrines of Salvation, p. 40
Thank God that He has instituted, from the beginning, the work for the dead who did not have the chance to obtain these blessings for themselves. God is wise.

I’ve researched mormonism for 71 years, in a very close and personal way. That accusation is as old and tired as I am, Ralf. Try something else.
And the truth will set you free....

“If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
John 8

This is not even close to being a accusation, its in the Bible and yes its as old as you and even older.
LDS Doctrine.

Nope. Individually, no one was blessed with anything that anyone else didn't have. But, again, it's not like this question is new. In Jesus' day, his disciples asked about a man born blind, who did sin, this man (obviously before birth) or his parents? It's not a new question. Jesus healed that man, saying that neither sinned or neither was so "worthy" that these things occurred, but to show forth the glory of God (in healing the infirmity.

We see the man's blindness as his affliction, but the reality is, mortality or our mortal nature is an affliction. We all have need to be healed and only one person can do that. The Savior's ability to heal is not limited to just the blind, but rather to all who receive him. It is obvious that judgment is not immediate upon death. That would be unjust because of the billions upon billions that have never heard the gospel much less given an opportunity to receive it. This opens the door for Christ's saving grace to impact all of God's children (which includes everyone who has ever lived or ever will live on this earth). Now consider who has the greater reward, those who lived without the law, but later received Christ after death or those who had the law but didn't receive Christ?

In this vein, I suspect that the blind man received the greater blessing. Those who did not have the gospel will not experience the wrath that those who did. Your idea of greater rewards has nothing to do with our teachings. Even those who were born in the covenant but didn't live it for whatever reason will have an opportunity to receive just as those who were once disobedient in the days of Noah. Nevertheless, those who will not live the gospel cannot have the blessings of the gospel. No one was predestinated to be saved. We all started in the same place and from there we have to work out our own salvation. Even the chosen could fall. The heavens lament over the fall of Satan who was once called a prince of the morning. He was among the great and noble ones, so don't think that being in that group grants anyone special exceptions or that they have no choice over the direction their life is heading.

Remember, in our religion, the greatest rewards are available to everyone, whether it be the prophet or the deacon, the Muslim or the Hindu. If they keep the commandments they will have life. As I pointed out in several posts, receiving Christ can come at any time and everyone will be granted that opportunity and be taught the gospel, whether in this life or the next, if they receive Christ, the greatest of all blessings will be theirs. According to the scriptures, they will be judged in the flesh, they will live in the spirit the way God does (1 Peter 4:6).

That tells me that those who keep the commandments but did not know Christ only have but to receive Christ to obtain exaltation and we, latter-day saints, get to be part of that by providing the ordinances they could not obtain for themselves because they did not have them. That is how we become saviors on mount zion.
Always the same things, earned, rewards, etc...... replace that with to achieve and blessings....

Back