Leftist: What is worst than racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, Islamophobia (or word like these)?

I'm talking about the post-death punishment - are there different severities of "hell"?

Great question. I'm not sure we know. James 3:1 seems to indicate that there may be degrees of punishment in the afterlife. None will be enjoyable. But there does seem to be at least a hint that the accountability will be worse if you have a position of authority and power and you abuse it.

But it's irrelevant to your original question. Clearly Christianity (and Judaism) teaches that there are degrees of sin, with different punishments accordingly.

But it's irrelevant to your original question. Clearly Christianity (and Judaism) teaches that there are degrees of sin, with different punishments accordingly.
Some sin - earthly punishment, then infinite punishment.
Worse sin - worse earthly punishment, then infinite puinishment.

Total punishment for all kinds of sin: infinite punishment.

In the end, no difference - you think about cheating on your wife, you get hell; you kill fifty people, you get hell.

Some sin - earthly punishment, then infinite punishment.
Worse sin - worse earthly punishment, then infinite puinishment.

Total punishment for all kinds of sin: infinite punishment.

In the end, no difference - you think about cheating on your wife, you get hell; you kill fifty people, you get hell.

Well you can pretend that the Bible doesn't teach different punishments for different sins, but you'd be wrong. Not sure what else to say. I'll try to illustrate though.

Let's imagine two scenarios.

First, you insult your wife. Offended, she kicks you out of the house ("take your stuff and leave!"), and you are forever separated from her, never to be with her again.

Second, you cheat on your wife. She smashes a lamp over your head. She then takes one of your golf clubs and hammers you with it. She then smashes a mirror in your face. She then spends the next hour beating you to a pulp. Then she kicks you out of the house and you are forever separated from her, never to be with her again.

In both cases you are kicked out of the house and separated forever from her, but clearly she views one offense as worse than the other. The END result is the same (kicked out) but the path to getting there is quite different.

Plus....the James 3:1 text indicates that there may in fact be degrees of punishment even in the afterlife. So who knows.

But hey, you seem committed to this line of thought, so it doesn't appear that anything I can say here will dissuade you from it, so believe whatever you want. Makes no difference to me.

Well you can pretend that the Bible doesn't teach different punishments for different sins, but you'd be wrong.
If the end result is hell, I don't see how earthly punishment make any difference to the total.

You get hell for thinking about cheating on your wife, and hell for genocide - in what way are they different in the end?

If the end result is hell, I don't see how earthly punishment make any difference to the total.

You get hell for thinking about cheating on your wife, and hell for genocide - in what way are they different in the end?
So you think that contemplating cheating on your wife is acceptable?

Maybe there's hell and then there's HELL, you know? The James 3:1 passage seems to hint that people in power and authority who abuse that just might, in the end, get it worse.

But even though the Bible offers a variety of punishments for various sins - and yeah, our time here matters, right? - you seem hell bent (pun kind of intended) on believing that there's no difference at all.

Again, doesn't matter to me how you see this.

Maybe there's hell and then there's HELL, you know?
"Maybe"?
But even though the Bible offers a variety of punishments for various sins - and yeah, our time here matters, right? - you seem hell bent (pun kind of intended) on believing that there's no difference at all.
An eternity in hell renders any prior finite punishment, as nothing.
x +infinity = infinity, for any finite x.

If you think it's fair that those contemplating adultery, and those that commit genoicide, deserve the same ultimate punishment, I don't know what to say to you.

Where do you get your standards of morals. Be specific
2009 called and wants their Argument from Morality back.

I don’t like the word “morality.” It implies magic.

I get my ethics from my empathy, my upbringing, the standards of my society, convincing arguments made by the countless philosophers that have written on ethics, my character resulting from evolution, etc.

Ethics change over time in a society. Racism and child marriage was OK a century ago. Not any longer.

Yeah. Maybe.

An eternity in hell renders any prior finite punishment, as nothing.
x +infinity = infinity, for any finite x.

If you think it's fair that those contemplating adultery, and those that commit genoicide, deserve the same ultimate punishment, I don't know what to say to you.

I don't give a crap what you think is fair. I jumped in on this conversation only to address the point that Christianity does, in fact, teach that different sins bring about different punishments, and that they're not viewed as EQUAL.

2009 called and wants their Argument from Morality back.

I don’t like the word “morality.” It implies magic.

I get my ethics from my empathy, my upbringing, the standards of my society, convincing arguments made by the countless philosophers that have written on ethics, my character resulting from evolution, etc.

Ethics change over time in a society. Racism and child marriage was OK a century ago. Not any longer.
Morality equals magic. What a bizarre idea you have.

so in your mind, things like murder could become acceptable.
You are like a blade of grass blowing to and fro in the wind.

Do you think it's fair?

Whether I do or not is also irrelevant to the question I was answering.

They are, post-death - the punishment is the same.
If they weren't equal, there would be unequal hells.

And maybe there are unequal hells. That's what Dante thought. You keep ignoring James 3:1 which hints that maybe, just maybe, that's the case. I don't know for sure.

I do know that the Bible teaches that different sins come with different punishments. That's not enough for you. I get it. Arguing against me on this is kinda pointless because I'm just going to refer you to the same texts. I understand if this is a reason you think it's all rubbish.

Not my problem.

Since you do not know every atheist in the world, you are not capable of making that statement.
Oh, he's capable of making the statement. He just did. Whether or not he is speaking through his nether parts, though, is a different point, altogether.

Dodge.

I understand - neither answer makes you look good

If you think it's fair, you're a monster.
If you don't, you're disagreeing with your god.

Seven-ten split.

LOL there are lots of things in the Bible that I personally don't like or agree with. It's irrelevant to the question at hand. That's not a dodge. That's the truth.

Yeah, murder’s worse.

Lots of things, rape, torture….

bigotry is still bad

I’ve heard some Christian’s claim that all sins are equal, so like jaywalking is just as bad as mass murder.
It is weird how you'll believe stuff like this, and not believe straight up news sources without the approval of your gurus. Did your gurus approve of this claim? Or is any claim that makes Christians look stupid accepted without verification?

I've just heard a leftist say it's sin to prevent a three-year-old child from mutilating himself if his mother says he wants it. But the leftist is senile, and says a lot of stupid things. I know better than to think others agree with him.

These are all thoughts. Thoughts are not crimes. It's the actions that the thoughts might lead to that are judged. And it is the impact on victims that determines what is worse. All these things could lead to horrendous crimes, or no crimes at all. It all depends.
This is accurate...Crime begins with a thought...and it can end before it begins with a thought taken captive. This is New Testament thinking. Inadvertent?

The funny thing is..... hate crimes instill greater penalties PRECISELY because of the very thoughts that motivate the crime.

You assault someone because you don't like the color of their shirt, that's not a hate crime.
You assault someone because you don't like the color of their skin, that's a hate crime and there are extra penalties for that.

So in both cases the same assault happens, and there's a nasty thought behind it. Both nasty thoughts compel you to horrible actions. But the the specific thought of hating skin color is deemed MUCH worse than the specific thought of hating a shirt color, and you are penalized accordingly.

So in our criminal justice system, we actually penalize certain kinds of thoughts.

Back