Legalism

SDAchristian

I do not call myself a Jew because of Jesus. I, a Gentile, have been grafted into the tree which is the people of God, the Body of Christ. Jews were branches of that tree, not the tree itself, not the root. I, like any Jew that believes in Christ, am a branch. The tree, the root does not see me as either Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female. It sees no distinction. I am now part of the body of Christ, an heir to the promise made to Abraham. That promise, that covenant was unconditional, unlike the Sinaitic Covenant between God and the Children of Israel, which was conditional upon their behavior.
"because of Jesus", Stimulated this post.

AV Re 12:1-2 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: 2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.
AV Re 12:5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and [to] his throne.
AV Re 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

So if "the dragon" knows who to have war with, does GOD commit adultery on "the woman" ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

Common Tater

Hi Common Tater,

Paul says it's Israel's tree.

God bless
Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” And when Paul and Barnabas had great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and some others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue. Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren. When they arrived at Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them. But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.”
The apostles and the elders came together to look into this matter. After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. “And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. “Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? “But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”

All the people kept silent, and they were listening to Barnabas and Paul as they were relating what signs and wonders God had done through them among the Gentiles.

After they had stopped speaking, James answered, saying, “Brethren, listen to me. “Simeon has related how God first concerned Himself about taking from among the Gentiles a people for His name. “With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written,

‘AFTER THESE THINGS I will return,
AND I WILL REBUILD THE TABERNACLE OF DAVID WHICH HAS FALLEN,
AND I WILL REBUILD ITS RUINS,
AND I WILL RESTORE IT,

SO THAT THE REST OF MANKIND MAY SEEK THE LORD,
AND ALL THE GENTILES WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME,’

SAYS THE LORD, WHO MAKES THESE THINGS KNOWN FROM LONG AGO.
“Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, but that we write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. “For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas—Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, and they sent this letter by them,

“The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings.

“Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls,
it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
“Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth.
“For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials:
that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

Acts 15:1-29 NASB

Common Tater

"because of Jesus", Stimulated this post.

AV Re 12:1-2 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: 2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.
AV Re 12:5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and [to] his throne.
AV Re 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

So if "the dragon" knows who to have war with, does GOD commit adultery on "the woman" ???

Yours in Christ, Michael
I have absolutely no idea what you are saying. You have a very cryptic writing style. It would be ever so much easier if you just spoke plainly.

pythons

AV Mt 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer [it to be so] now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Jesus was the Savior of Both Covenants, and fulfilled the righteousness requirements of both for those living under them.

"the celebration of the cleansing of the temple", Which "celebration" by name are you referring to ???

AV Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ.

One of the most misunderstood verses in the Bible, because of an improper understanding of OT type("shadow of things") to NT anti-type("the body [is] of Christ") fulfillment.

"Something tells me that Rosh Hashanah ISN'T on the SDA religious calendar.", Nope.

So what you think the anti-type of the Jewish new year is ???

"Jesus' custom was to observe all Jewish religious practices....", I don't think so. Especially sabbath man made rules.

Yours in Christ, Michael

Ok, we can do it this way.

What do you think the anti-type of the Israelite Sabbath is?
...What happens when type meets anti-type?
...In your understanding?

SDAchristian

I did not forget that verse
but it appears you did,
and also the words of John; A True Apostle
Rev.2:1
Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write;
These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand,
who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience,
and how thou canst not bear them which 😈 are evil: 😈
and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles,
and are not, and hast found them
liars:
Would someone break the news to Buzzard, who's words these are ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

Buzzard

I do not call myself a Jew because of Jesus. I, a Gentile, have been grafted into the tree which is the people of God, the Body of Christ. Jews were branches of that tree, not the tree itself, not the root. I, like any Jew that believes in Christ, am a branch. The tree, the root does not see me as either Jew or Greek, slave or free, male or female. It sees no distinction. I am now part of the body of Christ, an heir to the promise made to Abraham. That promise, that covenant was unconditional, unlike the Sinaitic Covenant between God and the Children of Israel, which was conditional upon their behavior.
Well; someone that understands the Grafting into the Olive
but still a Gentile; Not a Jew;
but Heir to the Promises made to Abraham;
that all nations, including the Gentiles would be blessed
a wild branch cut out of the Wild Olive (Gentiles) or cut off from them
and grafted in, and now feeds, is nourished by the Root of the Native Olive

a Child no longer feeding from the wrong Fields,
nor the Wine from the Grapes of Gall
nor following the wrong Shepherds,

Deut. 32:32
For their vine is of the vine of Sodom,
and of the fields of Gomorrah: their grapes are grapes of gall,
their clusters are bitter:

33 Their wine is the poison of dragons,
and the cruel venom of asps.

SDAchristian

Prologue:
AV Re 14:6-7 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
Ok, we can do it this way.
What do you think the anti-type of the Israelite Sabbath is?
...What happens when type meets anti-type?
...In your understanding?

Type and Anti-Type apply to symbolism in the Gospel, as a remedy for sin.

AV Ex 20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Had Eden fallen on the seventh day of creation, or not ???

Would help if you did a word study here too !!!

AV Ro 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

So are you ready to call GOD a liar for equating("wherefore") "the seventh day" with "the sabbath day" then ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

Buzzard

AV Mt 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer [it to be so] now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Jesus was the Savior of Both Covenants, and fulfilled the righteousness requirements of both for those living under them.

"the celebration of the cleansing of the temple", Which "celebration" by name are you referring to ???

One of the most misunderstood verses in the Bible, because of an improper understanding of OT type("shadow of things") to NT anti-type("the body [is] of Christ") fulfillment.

"Something tells me that Rosh Hashanah ISN'T on the SDA religious calendar.", Nope.

So what you think the anti-type of the Jewish new year is ???

"Jesus' custom was to observe all Jewish religious practices....", I don't think so. Especially sabbath man made rules

Yours in Christ, Michael

Micheal;
the very words of Paul you quote
ie:

is part of the very teaching that he firmly rebukes you 😈 Adventist 😈 for Judging others over Sabbath

Col. 2:15
Let no man therefore judge you
(Especially those hoilier than all others SDAs)
in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday,
or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days
:

You have a problem with Paul;
take it up with him who sent Paul

Last edited:

pythons

Prologue:
AV Re 14:6-7 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Type and Anti-Type apply to symbolism in the Gospel, as a remedy for sin.

AV Ex 20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Had Eden fallen on the seventh day of creation, or not ???

Would help if you did a word study here too !!!

AV Ro 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

So are you ready to call GOD a liar for equating("wherefore") "the seventh day" with "the sabbath day" then ???

Yours in Christ, Michael
Adam & Eve were created and sinned prior to making it to the 7th day. Adam & Eve were never intended to live outside of the 7th day. The 7th day was to be perpetual. That's the Jewish understanding.

Rosh Hashanah Theology and Themes | Rosh Hashanah | americanisraelite.com

Rosh Hashanah and New Creation (hebrew4christians.com)

Eve: Midrash and Aggadah | Jewish Women's Archive (jwa.org)

The common Jewish understanding traced back through history is that Adam and Eve hadn't entered into God's rest.

Icyspark

Some men came down from Judea and began teaching the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” And when Paul and Barnabas had great dissension and debate with them, the brethren determined that Paul and Barnabas and some others of them should go up to Jerusalem to the apostles and elders concerning this issue. Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren. When they arrived at Jerusalem, they were received by the church and the apostles and the elders, and they reported all that God had done with them. But some of the sect of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.”
The apostles and the elders came together to look into this matter. After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. “And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. “Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? “But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”

All the people kept silent, and they were listening to Barnabas and Paul as they were relating what signs and wonders God had done through them among the Gentiles.

After they had stopped speaking, James answered, saying, “Brethren, listen to me. “Simeon has related how God first concerned Himself about taking from among the Gentiles a people for His name. “With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written,

‘AFTER THESE THINGS I will return,
AND I WILL REBUILD THE TABERNACLE OF DAVID WHICH HAS FALLEN,
AND I WILL REBUILD ITS RUINS,
AND I WILL RESTORE IT,

SO THAT THE REST OF MANKIND MAY SEEK THE LORD,
AND ALL THE GENTILES WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME,’

SAYS THE LORD, WHO MAKES THESE THINGS KNOWN FROM LONG AGO.
“Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles, but that we write to them that they abstain from things contaminated by idols and from fornication and from what is strangled and from blood. “For Moses from ancient generations has in every city those who preach him, since he is read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”

Then it seemed good to the apostles and the elders, with the whole church, to choose men from among them to send to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas—Judas called Barsabbas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren, and they sent this letter by them,

“The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings.

“Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls,
it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
“Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth.
“For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials:
that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

Acts 15:1-29 NASB

Hi Common Tater,

A whole lot of text which says nothing to overturn what Paul plainly says (i.e. the tree belongs to Israel and Gentiles get grafted into Israel's tree).

I have absolutely no idea what you are saying. You have a very cryptic writing style. It would be ever so much easier if you just spoke plainly.

Exactly how I feel about this current post. "I have absolutely no idea what you are saying," cuz it isn't responding to what I'm saying.

God bless!

Icyspark

Micheal;
ie:

is part of the very teaching that he firmly rebukes you 😈 Adventist 😈 for Judging others over Sabbath

:

Hi Buzzard,

This is hypocritical if it comes from someone who routinely condemns people to hell. How does a person feel they can reject the words of Jesus which explicitly tell them not to judge lest they in turn be judged? Jesus says that person who condemns others is bringing condemnation down upon themselves.

Luke 6:37
Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Somebody sounds rather "holier than all others" if they sit in condemnation, rejecting the words of Jesus. What kind of person says, "Do as I say, don't do as I do"? A hypocrite. :rolleyes:

If a person rejects the words of Jesus are they not also in the condition of denying Him?

Matthew 10:33
But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.

One can't say, "I follow Jesus," yet deny His words. Denying His words is a denial of Him.

Matthew 23:1-3
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.

Jesus says not to follow hypocrites because they do not practice what they preach. A hypocrite, by their very nature, holds one standard for themselves and some totally arbitrary, self-imposed standard they apply to those whom they arbitrarily disapprove.

I pray this helps.

Common Tater

Hi Common Tater,

A whole lot of text which says nothing to overturn what Paul plainly says (i.e. the tree belongs to Israel and Gentiles get grafted into Israel's tree).

Exactly how I feel about this current post. "I have absolutely no idea what you are saying," cuz it isn't responding to what I'm saying.

God bless!

God bless!
Now that I read Romans 11 more carefully, I see that you may have a point. Let me ask you this. Does this mean that you believe that you must put yourself under the Sinaitic Covenant, the one between God and the Children of Israel? I do not. I see how this puts me under the Abrahamic Covenant, but I do not see this as putting myself under the one given the Moses and the Children of Irael, and for that I provided Acts 15 and Galatians 3. I imagine I could have added Hebrews 8, which talked about the Old Covenant which was now obsolete and was ready to vanish, which it did in 70AD with the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple.

Last edited:

Icyspark

Now that I read Romans 11 more carefully, I see that you may have a point. Let me ask you this. Does this mean that you believe that you must put yourself under the Sinaitic Covenant, the one between God and the Children of Israel? I do not. I see how this puts me under the Abrahamic Covenant, but I do not see this as putting myself under the one given the Moses and the Children of Irael, and for that I provided Acts 15 and Galatians 3. I imagine I could have added Hebrews 8, which talked about the Old Covenant which was now obsolete and was ready to vanish, which it did in 70AD with the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple.

Hi Common Tater,

Thank you for your acknowledgement.

My position on the new covenant can be found in the thread I started titled, appropriately enough, "The New Covenant."

God bless!

BigAlanM

Micheal;
ie:

:

Newbie here, reading through the thread....judging is wrong, and arguing doctrine is so pointless. I am a Sabbath keeper, and my interpretation of Scripture leads me to believe it is Scriptural. Therefore, as part of the Gospel, if I believe it is truth, and can lead one to a better worship experience, I have a responsibility to share that truth in a kind manner. All the arguments have been made on both sides. I think the Sabbath being instituted at creation adds a lot of weight to the argument, as does Jesus saying it was created for mankind and that He was Lord of the Sabbath. I think Paul was a Sabbath keeper, because he said he never offended in one point of Jewish law. We are commanded to keep the Sabbath, no where are we commanded to keep Sunday. But more than all that, I see the Sabbath as part of God's character, showing His desire to be with us, a remedy for the business of this sinful world. So I present that case, but I have fully looked at the opposing one as well. The best argument perhaps being that perfect rest in Christ is a fulfillment of the Sabbath promises. If we have a great relationship with Him, should we need the Sabbath? Will we need it in heaven when we are sinless and living in His presence? When Sabbath keeping makes you different from the rest of the world, these are all points to consider. Some come down on one side, some the other. But what's the point of the text from Colossians? As people so often do, they miss it. The point isn't what you eat or what day you worship. The point is not to judge. I can tell you about the Sabbath, and you can tell me about the Lord's Day (which He said was the Sabbath, by the way) and that's okay. But then, we should be fine and let the other go where God would lead them. Not my job to make you an Adventist, not your job to make me a Baptist or whatever. But it's all of our jobs to share something we believe is exciting in God's word, then let the Spirit lead where He may. Only God knows what we truly believe, and He will judge us accordingly.

SDAchristian

Prologue:
AV Jn 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Please consider this:

AV Mt 26:27-28 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave [it] to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

All covenants, testaments, promises are Truth in contrast to/"free" from sin, as the Gospel. Consider to "Drink ye all of it". (i.e. To lie is a sin, to believe a lie is sin.)

This is a big thought question: Where does GOD change the definition of sin, in relationship to the Gospel ???

A later topic, fulfillment !!!

Yours in Christ, Michael

Last edited:

SDAchristian

Newbie here, reading through the thread....judging is wrong, and arguing doctrine is so pointless. ...
AV Mt 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men.
AV Jn 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Do you think, Jesus was wrong to say these things ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

BigAlanM

AV Mt 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching [for] doctrines the commandments of men.
AV Jn 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Do you think, Jesus was wrong to say these things ???

Yours in Christ, Michael
Of course not. I merely point out that He would make His case and move on. If we present a doctrine prayerfully, and it is truth, we have done our work. There is nothing wrong with meeting an objection to further clarify the point, but debate takes a lot of time, and I don't see Christ engaging in much of it. His debates with His main opposition were brief, full of wisdom and somewhat one sided lol. Debate often entrenches the opposition. And judgment is okay by the word, as far as doctrine goes, as long as we keep in mind we never know the other person's heart and we can't judge them. That was my point about the text in Colossians. There will be both Sunday worshipers and Sabbath keepers in heaven my friend.....count on it.

Last edited:

SDAchristian

Prologue:
AV Jn 6:53-58 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. 58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
There will be both Sunday worshipers and Sabbath keepers in heaven my friend.....count on it.
AV 1Pt 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

But not "Sunday worshipers" who martyred "Sabbath keepers", knowing Jesus' Truth !!!

Maybe you need the read, "The Great Controversy", again or maybe the first time.

Yours in Christ, Michael