Let me define my belief the way you silly atheists define yours

I don't believe that Jesus rose from the dead; I just lack belief that He didn't.
Doesn't work. You have a belief. We don't.

You might say that you lack a believe Mohammad was the messiah because you have not seen proof that he is. That tracks to atheism. But your Christian beliefs are beliefs - not a lack of a belief.

The Pixie

FALSE - the doctrine or belief that there is no God. - https://www.dictionary.com/browse/atheism?s=t

You link gives two definitions:

• the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
  • disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

What is your authority for demanding that atheists use the former rather than the latter? Should we not be allowed to decide for ourselves? Can we decide what Christians have to believe?

The Pixie

Loaded question fallacy - prove I did such
Same old ferengi.

The proof is right there in post #6 and again in #7 (and quoted in post #9), where you did exacvtly that. Of course, now you have been called on it, we see this immediate back-pedalling.

Heaven forbid you should stand by your claims! That is not the Christian way!

jonathan_hili

I don't believe that Jesus rose from the dead; I just lack belief that He didn't.
I think it depends on the claim being made.

If the claim is, "Well, I just don't believe X," that merely relates a psychological state and isn't really worth arguing about. However, if the claim is, "X does not exist or X did not happen," then that is a proposition, a burden of proof may be required and it is worth arguing about.

treeplanter

Kudos Tree.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You got the point.
It's specifically silly to show you just how silly the atheist views come across as.
There are no "atheist" views, Steve

There is no doctrine involved

There IS such a thing as Christian views because a Christian doctrine {set of beliefs} DOES exist
No such thing exists where atheism is concerned

The one and only thing that links atheists to one another is the lack of a single belief {a belief in the existence of a god or gods}

You wouldn't recognize an actual point if it poked you in the eye...

SteveB

There are no "atheist" views, Steve

There is no doctrine involved

There IS such a thing as Christian views because a Christian doctrine {set of beliefs} DOES exist
No such thing exists where atheism is concerned

The one and only thing that links atheists to one another is the lack of a single belief {a belief in the existence of a god or gods}

You wouldn't recognize an actual point if it poked you in the eye...
sounds like a view to me. Actually, it's a very well-articulated view, quite on the verge of being doctrine. You should catechize that for future reference, so all atheists can have that handy.

Last edited: