Let us learn...

No one knew me for millions of years. I’m not bothered by that. Why are you? Is it spiritual narcissism? Now that you’ve tasted sentience you covet it beyond your life? Why?
Where did I say I was bothered by it?

Why should humanity not suffer? Third time

Where did I say I was bothered by it?
It’s assumed by your need to be somehow eternalized. Are you bothered by the thought of being forgotten in 100 years?
Why should humanity not suffer? Third time
No one says humans should not suffer. We say the answer to suffering is different than the Christian answer which is no answer at all. The Christian answer is abandonment, nihilism. Hold your arms outstretched... eyes rolled back to the sky awaiting the second coming.

The history of your heaven is one that was invented by apocalyptic Jews that did not even believe in the afterlife until they figured out that there is nothing their god can do to reward their personal righteousness in this world as the wicked prospered around them, so give it up for an invention of the next world... one made real tidy and special with fluffed pillows just for them.

Last edited:
Easy. In your world view life is meaningless.
No, that's your view of my worldview, it isn't mine. And again you haven't really answered my question because just saying it doesn't demonstrate it. So far you've made a claim only.

What is suffering? Some suffering is necessary.
You have to ask what suffering is? Yes, some suffering is necessary, but an awful lot isn't.

No, that's your view of my worldview, it isn't mine. And again you haven't really answered my question because just saying it doesn't demonstrate it. So far you've made a claim only.

You have to ask what suffering is? Yes, some suffering is necessary, but an awful lot isn't.
Ahh, so some suffering is necessary. Who decides what suffering is necessary and what suffering is not necessary? Majority rules?

Fair enough. In your world view what gives life value?

Maybe it is. How would we know?
We can’t. We can just look at what is happening, what we are experiencing, and it either maps to design and purpose or it doesn’t.
So it's just a matter of ones opinion?
The personal perceptions of some experiences map out to opinions. There are also many common experiences that are the same for everybody. Those experiences transcend cultural and religious perceptions (opinions) and are actually facts about what we are. Those common experiences that we all perceive in the same way are where we experience our objective moral landscape.

We can’t. We can just look at what is happening, what we are experiencing, and it either maps to design and purpose or it doesn’t.

The personal perceptions of some experiences map out to opinions. There are also many common experiences that are the same for everybody. Those experiences transcend cultural and religious perceptions (opinions) and are actually facts about what we are. Those common experiences that we all perceive in the same way are where we experience our objective moral landscape.
There are experiences common to everyone but interpretations or opinions of the same experience can be much different.

There are experiences common to everyone but interpretations or opinions of the same experience can be much different.
There are core experiences that are not interpreted differently by us as to whether they are good or bad. Those experiences are what rallies a common objective morality in us all. They are not transcendent ideas. They are real. They emerge from our experiences - not some supernatural fiat.

There are core experiences that are not interpreted differently by us as to whether they are good or bad. Those experiences are what rallies a common objective morality in us all. They are not transcendent ideas. They are real. They emerge from our experiences - not some supernatural fiat.
Name one.

Ahh, so some suffering is necessary. Who decides what suffering is necessary and what suffering is not necessary? Majority rules?
Logic I would think. An example of necessary suffering would be having an inoculation or going to the dentist, particularly as a child, as it results in a good.

An example of unnecessary suffering would be gratuitous torture.
Fair enough. In your world view what gives life value?
In your previous post you used the word meaning, I take it you mean the same with both words?

However, in my view life has meaning in good part because things matter to us. For example, It matters whether justice is done or not so seeing it done or bringing it about is meaningful to us.

Having children brings our lives meaning and purpose. There are many things in this world that bring satisfaction such as learning, producing art, sport, learning a musical instrument, etc etc. Because these things bring satisfaction, self respect etc, they give our lives meaning and purpose.

If I save a life it means something to the person saved, and it means something to me.

Logic I would think. An example of necessary suffering would be having an inoculation or going to the dentist, particularly as a child, as it results in a good.

An example of unnecessary suffering would be gratuitous torture.

In your previous post you used the word meaning, I take it you mean the same with both words?

However, in my view life has meaning in good part because things matter to us. For example, It matters whether justice is done or not so seeing it done or bringing it about is meaningful to us.

Having children brings our lives meaning and purpose. There are many things in this world that bring satisfaction such as learning, producing art, sport, learning a musical instrument, etc etc. Because these things bring satisfaction, self respect etc, they give our lives meaning and purpose.

If I save a life it means something to the person saved, and it means something to me.
So gratuitous torture morally reprehensible? Is this absolutely true?

In the end it means nothing. 200 year from now no one will know you ever existed. You have returned to stardust.

Until you return to dust and then what does it mean to you?

It's a curious thing about asking questions.
The curious thing about your questions is that if they get answered and the answer does not fit the narrative you have been told to believe, you just run away, rather that confront the truth - that you were wrong.

Back